Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How about CCleaner as compared with others?
It's not any better than the others. It will not find all app-related files. As for its other functions, you don't need them. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

forugaurav

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012

It's not any better than the others. It will not find all app-related files. As for its other functions, you don't need them. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
How to remove Clean my Mac

While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

[*]Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

Hi... I'm trying to use your helpful directions to remove all system files related to the Clean My Mac demo I downloaded some time ago. I got as far as the directive shown above, but do not see where to click on "aren't included" in order to change to "are included." Can you help?

Nov 28, 2010
located
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

[*]Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

Hi... I'm trying to use your helpful directions to remove all system files related to the Clean My Mac demo I downloaded some time ago. I got as far as the directive shown above, but do not see where to click on "aren't included" in order to change to "are included." Can you help?

Have you completed step 6 yet?
Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

Can this visual demo help you better?

Last edited:

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I completed #6, choosing Other (which instantly takes me to a list of Attributes; from the list I chose System Files (also choosing the checkbox to the right of that line). At that point, I'm stuck. Don't know if I should then click "OK" and be shown the option of changing "aren't included" to "are included"...or if I should have already done that earlier.

Have you completed step 6 yet?

Can this visual demo help you better?
YouTube: video

Nov 28, 2010
located
I completed #6, choosing Other (which instantly takes me to a list of Attributes; from the list I chose System Files (also choosing the checkbox to the right of that line). At that point, I'm stuck. Don't know if I should then click "OK" and be shown the option of changing "aren't included" to "are included"...or if I should have already done that earlier.

Can you make a screenshot of the Finder search window after you have completed step 6 and clicked "OK" on the search attribute drop down window and attach it to your next post?

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Your screenshot is still on your local HDD, thus no one can see it.

How's this?
14318iu.png

----------

Your screenshot is still on your local HDD, thus no one can see it.

How's this?

14318iu.png

Nov 28, 2010
located

The screenshot shows up, but I meant a screenshot of after you have pressed the "OK" button.

For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [IMG] and closing [/IMG] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
You can use the
edit.gif
to edit your images and add the Ts.
You could also use Preview to crop an image:

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
The screenshot shows up, but I meant a screenshot of after you have pressed the "OK" button.

I didn't know if I SHOULD press the "OK" button. I thought I needed to choose "are included" before doing that. Sorry for the large screenshots. I tried to delete them from the board .... but.... they won't go away.

In any case, I'll click the "OK" button and hope that the choice for "are included" will appear.

----------

Okay... the option for choosing "are included" did appear. (your directions were a wee bit confusing because you didn't say click "OK" ;o)

NOW.....#8 says something about sorting. I already see all of the file icons for Clean My Mac, so see no reason to sort by name, kind, date, etc.

I think I'm ready to 'select all' and Delete. I will hold onto my Trash for awhile to see if all is fine.

Thank you SO much for helping me!!! Wish I never downloaded CMM at all...and realize now that Mac OS X cleans itself basically and I don't need to do anything else. -Rivergull

Nov 28, 2010
located
I didn't know if I SHOULD press the "OK" button. I thought I needed to choose "are included" before doing that.
As shown in the video I embedded, it appears after you press OK, as you only add attributes via the method shown in step 6, thus why I posted this:
Can you make a screenshot of the Finder search window after you have completed step 6 and clicked "OK" on the search attribute drop down window and attach it to your next post?

Sorry for the large screenshots. I tried to delete them from the board .... but.... they won't go away.
Use the
edit.gif
button below the post with the large screenshots, you may have to scroll to the right via trackpad, RIGHT ARROW or scroll bar to see it, to edit your posts and remove the images (start with IMG and end with /IMG, with [] brackets surrounding that) or add a T infront of every IMG tag as shown before.

In any case, I'll click the "OK" button and hope that the choice for "are included" will appear.
As you probably already have clicked that "OK" button, you should see that selection now.
If not, we can help further.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

PS: You always seem to garble up the QUOTES via deleting the [/QUOTE] tag, which is the closing tag.

See below:

This is a quote.

And the code normally looks like this and does not get automatically truncated:
[QUOTE]This is a quote.[/QUOTE]​

But it looks like this in your posts:

This is a quot

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I have a lot to learn about posting to forums... LOL. Hard to know where to start typing my question... before the
or after. I did succeed in sending all Clean My Mac items to the Trash. I still can't seem to delete those screenshots though, as I don't understand your directions. I clicked on "Edit" button and boxes appear, asking for a 'Reason' for deleting and a 'Title'. Not sure what to enter in those boxes and there's no "Delete" button anyway. Grrrrr. Must take some lessons on posting to MacRumors.

As shown in the video I embedded, it appears after you press OK, as you only add attributes via the method shown in step 6, thus why I posted this:

Use the Image button below the post with the large screenshots, you may have to scroll to the right via trackpad, RIGHT ARROW or scroll bar to see it, to edit your posts and remove the images (start with IMG and end with /IMG, with [] brackets surrounding that) or add a T infront of every IMG tag as shown before.

As you probably already have clicked that "OK" button, you should see that selection now.
If not, we can help further.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

PS: You always seem to garble up the QUOTES via deleting the
tag, which is the closing tag.

See below:

And the code normally looks like this and does not get automatically truncated:

But it looks like this in your posts:

This is a quot

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have a lot to learn about posting to forums... LOL. Hard to know where to start typing my question... before the [ Quote ] or after. I did succeed in sending all Clean My Mac items to the Trash. I still can't seem to delete those screenshots though, as I don't understand your directions. I clicked on "Edit" button and boxes appear, asking for a 'Reason' for deleting and a 'Title'. Not sure what to enter in those boxes and there's no "Delete" button anyway. Grrrrr. Must take some lessons on posting to MacRumors.

Maybe this can help:

Best watched in 720p:

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria

7. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

8. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

9. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

10. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

11. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

12. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

you can update this guide for mountain lion, somethings are different and still dont understand whats the point to open active monitor :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you can update this guide for mountain lion, somethings are different and still dont understand whats the point to open active monitor :confused:
Activity Monitor is used for step 1, to make sure an app or its related processes aren't running, since you can't delete an app that's currently running. What is different in ML that requires changes to the procedure?

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Activity Monitor is used for step 1, to make sure an app or its related processes aren't running, since you can't delete an app that's currently running. What is different in ML that requires changes to the procedure?

thank you, I see some difference in the search field, I cant find the "on system" but let me read and make some more test... I would be nice make a video tutorial in youtube, maybe I do and send you before I publish for you check if I go it all, thanks!

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006

1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

YEA!!! Thanks for this tip, now the bugger is evicted from my iMac for good. :)

rhapflan

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
question about deleting a program

i've gotten most of the way through this process, but there's a file that when i try to put it in the trash, gives me this message:

"The alias “com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."

can you tell me how to get rid of this please?

thx

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i've gotten most of the way through this process, but there's a file that when i try to put it in the trash, gives me this message:

"The alias “com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."
It's likely already deleted. Try restarting your computer.

syllwa

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Thank-you!

Thank-you GGJstudios, you are great, it works!!!

May I suggest to empty the trash not just by clicking "Empty Trash in secure way" on Finder menu Archive?

Have a good week-end!

aseems

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
New Delhi, India
Scary!

Is there a reliable app to do this?

I don't want to screw up :eek:

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Many Thanks :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is there a reliable app to do this?

I don't want to screw up :eek:

Many Thanks :)

Not really, as all the apps that promise to do so are not as thorough as the manual method.
Have a look at this visual presentation of the steps outlined in above post:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.