Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Just completed the installation of the 3-part carbon fiber skin from iCarbons on my 2012 13" MBA.

Easy to do, looks awesome and is almost a perfect fit. I did not do the trackpad and Apple Logo (just a personal pref).

Where the skin lost points was perhaps at the worst place. The top lid skin, when aligned with the Apple logo falls short by about 1 to 1.5 mm from the front hedge... See pics with arrows.

MBA iCarbons Skin 00.jpg

MBA iCarbons Skin 01.jpg

MBA iCarbons Skin 02.jpg

MBA iCarbons Skin 03.jpg

MBA iCarbons Skin 04.jpg

Bottom Line: A $50 well invested IMO.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I think it looks great - wouldn't worry about it not fitting exactly or whatever, can barely even see what you are talking about. Good work on the installation.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
They are offering a Labor Day Sale - 25% off with code "LABOR25".

I have the brushed aluminum on a couple of Airs and love it.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
That's outstanding. I don't really want the black look on my rMBP, but it appears you can purchase skins for just the bottom, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the pics/review. Makes my decision easy!

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Is this mainly for aesthetics or for protection from marks and scrapes? Looks nice, but I'd hesitate to get one for the fact that it doesn't really offer any real protection from drops and dents much.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
they also sell the bottom and top in the exact same alum color so you get protection without any change in look

That's what I just bought...for the bottom of my rMBP. Don't want to worry about what's on the tables and all that stuff. Don't need the rest of the protection, so it's all good.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You really should try it with the red carbon-fiber "apple/leaf" over the Apple logo on the cover. It is slightly smaller (1/16") than the apple shaped hole in the black skin such that not only does it glow red, there is a bright white outline around the apple and the leaf. There is also a white carbon-fiber apple/leaf which does the same thing. Looks pretty neat... :cool:

-howard

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
You really should try it with the red carbon-fiber "apple/leaf" over the Apple logo on the cover. It is slightly smaller (1/16") than the apple shaped hole in the black skin such that not only does it glow red, there is a bright white outline around the apple and the leaf. There is also a white carbon-fiber apple/leaf which does the same thing. Looks pretty neat... :cool:

-howard

Too late for the red logo... my 13 year old ran off with it and pimped up his Touch :D

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

-howard

Here is what it looks like:

(btw: they are 25% off this Labor Day weekend at iCarbons)

Attachments

• iCarbons-1.jpg
    iCarbons-1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 206
  • iCarbons-2.jpg
    iCarbons-2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 182

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Never see the sense in why people chose to whack stickers over Jony Ive's beautiful designs.

Ah well, each to their own.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Never see the sense in why people chose to whack stickers over Jony Ive's beautiful designs.

because "Jony" did not make it indestructible.....it's not a statue, it's a business/personal tool made of bare metal that gets scratched in some environments...

never understand why people who cant understand that, cant understand that....

Ah well, each to their own....LOL

Last edited:

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Apple products are fashionable products, and with it comes many accessories that compliment it, whether it be fashionable and practical, or otherwise. I could care less what other people do to accessorize their Air that they paid for.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I see value in the skin, just not at that price point. I am personally more happy spending double that amount for a Sena folio case that offers much better protection and peace of mind.

Meh, to each their own :p As long as everyone is happy with their purchases that's all it matters.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
They are offering a Labor Day Sale - 25% off with code "LABOR25".

I have the brushed aluminum on a couple of Airs and love it.

Sweet! Just put in an order with that code for some more skin.... wait a minute, that didn't come out right :D Let's just say that I got something for two other devices :cool:

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland

I'm with you on this one... To be honest, I find all the above "mods" horrific ( except the aluminium skin... although I lack to see the point of it. Protection against scratches? Nah, it can still get scratched fairly easily... ) ... but yeah, that's me. Would not stick stuff like that on my machine even if God himself would ask me to do so. :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Q1. Does this kind of skin helps to blunt the sharp front edge?

Q2. Are you not afraid the notebook will run warmer now?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

Jony Ive's beautiful designs apply to the shape, layout, and functionality of the MacBook Air ... not to the color of aluminum.

The skins do nothing to detract from this shape ... they only add about a half mm to the thickness, unlike the kludgy hard plastic snap on covers which totally distort the shape, trap dirt underneath, and cause higher operating temperatures.

Plus ... aluminum is hard to hold on to ... the skins are "grippy" and less likely to slip out of your hand when carrying it around. ;)

----------

Q1. Does this kind of skin helps to blunt the sharp front edge?

Q2. Are you not afraid the notebook will run warmer now?

Doesn't really cover the front edge of the machine, but if it is on a table, the Air is so thin that the palm rest starts pretty close to the table surface anyway. Of course, proper typing posture :) dictates that your wrists are held high, not touching the palm rests (or so I was taught).

The iCarbon skins are very thin and attached with a light adhesive so there is no insulating trapped air, so the skin will heat and radiate similar to the case of the computer.

Cases which are made of hard plastic and snap on leave a static air gap between them and the chassis,which acts as a thermal insulator. They could cause somewhat higher operating temperatures.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Many who see the black carbon fiber pattern iCarbon on my 11 inch admire it. It's been wonderful in use. I sometimes visit a production shop where I open the laptop on imperfect table surfaces near where wood or plastic cutting has taken place. This kind of devil-may-care usage predominates and the MBA still looks new. For general carrying, I will put it into a padded sleeve that will help stem problems from outright drops.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
The MBA is not indestructible. You can get the brushed aluminum skin that matches the stock look.

And a sticker off ebay will make it bomb proof?

I'd much rather spend some money on a nice case (i have knomo leather sleeve for my air) and take good care of my laptop when its out of the case.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
And a sticker off ebay will make it bomb proof?

I'd much rather spend some money on a nice case (i have knomo leather sleeve for my air) and take good care of my laptop when its out of the case.

Silly post. The aluminum scratches very, very easily. The sticker (it's really much more than than) keeps the surface pristine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.