Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
....*sigh*...a tough one!

1. I think a boxed opened but mint 2:nd generation iPod. I only have them without the boxes.
  2. A boxed 1st generation nano 1Gig white, to make the set complete
  3. An iPod classic 160 Gig silver to use every day
  4. A "Harry Potter", Madonna, Beck, Tony Hawk or No Doubt signature edition iPod
  5. …and of course a sealed 1st generation iPod just for the heck of it ;-)

Fortunately I already have all product red ones :cool:

Last edited:

cj95

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
Hull, UK
Just rounded up the troops, wouldn't call myself a collector but I do have a few iPods.
x52gd5.jpg

14jc58l.jpg

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
I'm curious...what is your opinion on "sealed" iPods? People in general seems to have some strange ideas about this. :confused:

I say a sealed iPod is an iPod inside a box, shrink wrapped with plastic, never opened, never touched by any human consumer hands! Nothing else!

No disrespect or anything towards MattyMac or anybody, MattyMac is a god to me starting the best thread ever in any forum, but the "don't-steal-music"plasic around the iPod itself is not sealed to me! It's very easy, if you do it carefully, to open and close this plastic again and again, due to its silicone glue.

I'd like to know what y'all think about this ;)

/Martin

I agree totally. I personally have started a collection of sealed iPods. So whenever I look at an iPod, it must be sealed in the box. I've often searched on eBay for new iPods and numerous times have encountered listing which say Brand new sealed iPod where infact the iPod and all the contents have been removed from the box even just for the photo, and the iPod has the listen to music responsibly sticker on. To me, and to most people, that is considered new and labelling it as sealed is a bit fraudulent.

P.S I'll try uploading a photo of my collection when I get back to the UK!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
There is only 1 issue with "sealed" iPods: Is the iPod really in there?

Especially buying such a high value and old item that you never plan to open..its got to be too easy for someone to shrink wrap it and sell it on ebay. That is why Ive always kept my collection as "brand new" unless I personally bought it from an apple store...in that case I was comfortable with the sealed condition.

Just my 2 cents.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)

Especially buying such a high value and old item that you never plan to open..its got to be too easy for someone to shrink wrap it and sell it on ebay. That is why Ive always kept my collection as "brand new" unless I personally bought it from an apple store...in that case I was comfortable with the sealed condition.

Just my 2 cents.

How exactly can someone shrink wrap an iPod. Is it possible? I thought it was possible but I've not seen any proof. Besides, you'll probably be able to tell between a factory shrink-wrapped iPod and a home-shrinked iPod!

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North

Just my 2 cents.

There is always that possibility. When big $$$ are involved, people do anything to score. Unless you know a doctor, customs clerk or someone at the security gate at the airport, one can't be 100 percent sure. How ever, my personal belief is that its hard to shrink wrap it convincingly and believably! The question was how to determine wether the iPod is unused if the box is opened, which in my opinion is not possible if the plastic around the box is opened. I even approached you with this question in a PM, but you didn't even bother to answer me...

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
There is always that possibility. When big $$$ are involved, people do anything to score. Unless you know a doctor, customs clerk or someone at the security gate at the airport, one can't be 100 percent sure. How ever, my personal belief is that its hard to shrink wrap it convincingly and believably! The question was how to determine wether the iPod is unused if the box is opened, which in my opinion is not possible if the plastic around the box is opened. I even approached you with this question in a PM, but you didn't even bother to answer me...

Good idea...an x-ray should do the trick! Sorry for not responding..it seemed to be more of a criticism than a question in your message so I let it go.

But yes you are correct...I guess there is no real way to tell if the don't steal music was ever removed.

BTW Im glad to see how much this thread is growing...the collections in the posted pictures look really awesome!

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2012

Just my 2 cents.

I have also thought about this. I think someone else asked the same question earlier in the thread.
I do not think it is so difficult at all to wrap a box. If you work at a company with the right equipment, it's no problem at all.
As Fralle said, it can involve a lot of money so there are definitely people who are tempted to do it.

I tried searching on the topic before. I found nothing about iPods, but a lot about old video games. Apparently it is very common for video games. There were some clips on YouTube, where people tried to show how fake and genuine looked.

I myself think it's more enjoyable with sealed iPods. But when you buy an older iPod that does not have transparent packaging, there is always a risk that it could be something else in the box.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Sorry for not responding..it seemed to be more of a criticism than a question in your message so I let it go.

Criticism..? No, but you always refer to your generation 1 as "sealed" when it's obviously not. I wanted to know why you think it is sealed? Never mind now! It is a true gem, just the way I like it, box opened but iPod apparently unused, with the extra nice touch of the original shipping box :D

----------

Just rounded up the troops, wouldn't call myself a collector but I do have a few iPods.

Nice collection :)
Thank you for sharing them! This thread has had to few images of collections lately :( I will try to post new ones of my collection soon!

Holdencommstra

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Sydney Australia
How would i tell if the actual product is in the box without using an x-ray.i have sealed iphone 3g 16gb,2x ipod mini(blue and sliver),ipod classic 80gb black and a ipod touch 1st gen 8gb which i can't see them since they aren't in a see though box.

Can you tell but looking at the shrink wrap.all mine has a line passing though on the side of the box with two horizontal lines at both ends.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
How would i tell if the actual product is in the box without using an x-ray.i have sealed iphone 3g 16gb,2x ipod mini(blue and sliver),ipod classic 80gb black and a ipod touch 1st gen 8gb which i can't see them since they aren't in a see though box.

Can you tell but looking at the shrink wrap.all mine has a line passing though on the side of the box with two horizontal lines at both ends.

You don't have to worry about that problem, I should think ;)

First of they are not that pricy models (yet) and second, as long as nobody proves anything else, there are apple products in your boxes right?

This why I don't like buying old iPods sealed! ;) Sure, I have some models sealed in boxes, but I also have the same models opened! :cool:

Last edited:

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
My collection...most of it...

I'm about to reorganize my collection, and some iPods are in storage boxes yet, but I've been asked a lot to share pics of my collection so...

This is still just parts of my collection ;)

11.jpg

12.jpg

Here are my nanos and shuffles! I also have a touch 1st gen and some iPhones. The classic with swarovski crystals is a special bling iPod made by a company who existed a couple of years ago. The back side is 24 carat gold!
I also collect accessories for iPods :rolleyes:

13.jpg

14.jpg

These are my minis with accessories. The black "nano" and orange "shuffle" are chinese copies, sold to me as genuine :p The mini Steve is a sudden case of bad taste on my part...

15.jpg

Now here are most of my "classics". They are standing on top of an iPod Hi-Fi. They represent all five generations!

16.jpg

These are most of my boxed oldies! One of them is sealed and one is in a "Alanis Morissette" box.

17.jpg

I also have some doubles, both iPods and accessories. All my iPods are working and I have all boxes and accessories. I just like to have them out of the boxes an touch them from time to time :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sammy2066

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
Chrome shuffle! Nice :) That is an awesome collection. What is the iPod HiFi like? Been wanting one for a while but the prices are pretty steep on them. Also, How long did that take for you to put together?

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Chrome shuffle! Nice :) That is an awesome collection. What is the iPod HiFi like? Been wanting one for a while but the prices are pretty steep on them. Also, How long did that take for you to put together?

The iPod Hi-Fi is awesome! The sound is amazing!

I've been collecting since 2008! Its an expensive hobby ;)

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Don't use a single iPod, but I have a 40GB iPod of an unknown generation lying around in pieces somewhere. I plan on starting a collection. Once I get the money to, that is.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I did borrow a small piece of a picture from ClassicTom (post #404). Could anyone tell me what is the accessory second from the right? I have all the others, but have never seen that one before???

Attachments

• shuffle1.jpg
    shuffle1.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 101

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Well here it is; My Very Own Collection!!!
I'm making it sound bigger than it actually is. I've been collecting for a few months now but not that actively.

My iPods are as follows;
Shuffle: 1st and 2nd Gen (Sealed)
Nano: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th (Sealed)
Touch: 1st (Sealed)
Classic: 4th and 5th (Sealed)

I also have 2 iPod Photos 20GB not pictured. My Blue 3rd Gen nano is used but in pristine condition. Apart from that, its pretty clear which ones are not brand new.

Well, I hope to keep updating the photos with my new additions. Thanks to one member on here who helped me acquire my new beautiful 5th Gen Nano.

And to Fralle. I'm now back, hence the upload.

Attachments

• ipods.jpg
    ipods.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 109
  • rsz_dscn0855.jpg
    rsz_dscn0855.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 119
  • rsz_dscn0857.jpg
    rsz_dscn0857.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 90
  • rsz_dscn0859.jpg
    rsz_dscn0859.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 106
  • rsz_dscn0858.jpg
    rsz_dscn0858.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Very tasteful collection endeed! Thanks for showing us!! :)

So you are going for sealed then?

Im going to try get at least one of every model sealed. I think the first, second and third classic models and the special editions will be pretty hard to get due to the ridiculous demanded prices. Therefore i may just try to get those particular models in good condition. Once i finish collecting one of each geneation, I'll go for non sealed as well as duplicates.

But, if you want to donate any duplicates from your collection, feel free :D

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I dont remember an ipod were the click wheel actual turned. Anyone have any pics? closer up, thats a cool collection.

Yeah my brother in law has the 1st gen, I have the 2nd gen... the 1st gen is a real wheel that turns around while the 2nd gen introduced the touch wheel.

I can still recall walking around with my (expensive) iPod 20GB.. I was the only one wearing white ear buds and people on the train came asking me what kind of device it was. It was also hard for non-Mac users to use as the first iPods only had Firewire 400 and could not be read by windows (due to the Apple formatted harddrive in there). Only when a Windows version came out (the only difference was the FAT32 formatting) more people started buying an iPod.

Nowadays it's rare to find someone without an iDevice... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.