Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Since moving to a brand new iMac with Mountain Lion on it Apple Mail is putting constantly emails that I'm writing into to the Drafts folder and lets them remain there even after I have sent the email - I then have the email one time in the Drafts folder and one time in the Sent folder.

This is happening also with emails that I do not save in between. I write an email over a longer period of time, I send this email ... and I find this email later not only in the Sent folder but also in the Drafts folder.

Today it even went one step further by not allowing me to delete such a double email from the Drafts folder. Or better: putting it back into the Drafts folder again and again just seconds after I deleted it.

This is happening with emails from several IMAP accounts. This did not happen with the same IMAP accounts on my previous iMac with Lion.

Is this happening to others, too? Can someone explain what is happening here and how I can prevent this?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
In Mail Preferences, under Accounts select Mailbox Behaviors. You'll see an option to deselect "store drafts on server."

Unfortunately, I frequently have to manually delete draft emails stored in the drafts folder when I send them. Just a bug that's not been fixed in the last few versions if OS X with the new iCloud and previously with MobileMe.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Thanks. I had that option active for some email accounts. It is indeed one of several very annoying bugs that Apple obviously does not care about to fix.

scottperezfox

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks, I was having the same problem at our office. Let's hope no one here is a massive save-everything-as-drafts person on his/her iPhone.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I've noticed this problem using Gmail with Mail.app on OS X since at least Snow Leopard and probably earlier.

It's insane it hasn't been fixed yet (I'd rather it store the draft on the server so if I run out of time composing the email, I can pick up where I left off and finish it later).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.