Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edricfilho

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Got both, the Win Indexes are about the same on my MBA 2012 (11", i7, 8GB, 256 SSD), Mountain Lion, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit:

Win Index (CPU/RAM/UI/Game/HD)
//s7 4,7/5,5/5,5/2,0/7,5 (my old //s)
//s8 5,5/5,5/5,5/4,8/7,9 (upgraded to...)
VM5 5,4/5,5/5,9/4,9/7,8 (trial version)

Decided to continue on Parallels, for no other reason than being used to it...:)

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
No one has mention the convinience of the iPad App on Parallels 6/7/8
this is the feature I like most on Parallels. I would like to see VMWare to do the same.

How stable is the iPad App for Parallels?

I noticed that VMWare has one... does anyone know about this?

Also, thanks for everyone answering me. It looks like Parallels is the most popular thus far...

m

Last edited:

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Was able to get the ads on Parallels turned off. Was on a chat with them, and she was happy to instruct me how to do so.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I run Fusion for Win 7 only because of Photoshop.

Think Parallels' upgrade policies are bad? Try going from Photoshop on PC to Mac: $600, no exceptions.

Screw Adobe. $50 bucks for Fusion plus $99 for Win 7 was a lot cheaper.

I'm very happy with Fusion, but barely use, or even know about, it's many features.

I have heard stories of people calling to Adobe and asking for a Mac version because they're changing from windows to mac.

Isn't it possible to download a trial and use the same activation code on the mac?

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
How stable is the iPad App for Parallels?

I noticed that VMWare has one... does anyone know about this?

Also, thanks for everyone answering me. It looks like Parallels is the most popular thus far...

m

Very stable, very happy with the performance of the iPad App.

The VMWare View application does not work on Fusion, it only works on the VMWare enterprise products.

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
Alright...

I've made up my mind, I guess...

Parallels 8 it is, for now at least. I did more research, and I also really like that I can run Parallels on my iPad.

I can get it for $45, so it is not a bad price... and I don't want to get P7, because I'd have to wait up to 8 weeks for the upgrade.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

m

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
"I'm running P version 8 and I love it."

There's an 8? I didnot know that! Just checked for updates and I am up to date (7.0.15)

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Question. If i follow the link they sent for early purchase, will it let you download ? Or do they HAVE to send a disc? The only "download" link i see is for if you have a code.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Question. If i follow the link they sent for early purchase, will it let you download ? Or do they HAVE to send a disc? The only "download" link i see is for if you have a code.

If you upgraded I think they give you a link to directly download. It will be on the 4th that everyone will be able to download (I think that is the day that they said).

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
okay i found it. for electronic delivery. any coupon codes? i tried putting my original serial number (someone here suggested it). 45 aint bad but if theres a code I'm up for it..

thanks for the help

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
For me, I was an avid Parallels user from the day it was released. Around version 3 I ran into a problem where it wouldn't run anything. It would just start and then crash back to the desktop. I tried everything even a clean wipe of my machine and it still did the same thing. They told me that there was a new version coming out and I should upgrade to that because it will fix the problem. It came out, I upgraded, it didn't fix the problem. At that point, they told me they had no idea and refused me any further support.

I switched to VMWare and have been happy with it.

Today I considered Parallels 8 because of the good deal via NewEgg. But their website leads me to believe that they won't give a free upgrade to 7 because it is an OEM edition. So I tried emailing them, calling them and online chatting with them about this. In all cases I was refused customer support because I didn't actively have a license with them. So in other words, they didn't want to help a potential customer answer a question. So screw them, no desire to buy it now.

It was free. I am using version 8 from version 7 that I bought from newegg 2 days ago.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
It was free. I am using version 8 from version 7 that I bought from newegg 2 days ago.

Yup I got it for free when I bought my Parallel 7 back in Aug 3 from Amazon. And I notice that Parallel 8 is snappier, not as memory hog as Parallel 7 and everything just works.

The last time I used VM Ware, when I got VM ware 3. Which turn me off because of its performance. But I heard version 4 and 5 is way much better.

But I will stick with Parallel right now, until the next update... until my Parallel does not work in the latest MAC OS integration.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can get Parallels for $45 and VMWare for $50.
At this point, I believe its personal preference. I like Vmware so I use that. From what I hear, if you buy parallels the app will subject you to advertisements in their app which is not cool at all.

Vmware typically has a reputation of being more stable, and parallels has a reputation of being a bit faster for games.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Parallels Desktop 8 vs. VMware Fusion 5: Benchmark Showdown

20120904_vmb_teaser.jpg

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/parallels-desktop-8-vs-vmware-fusion-5-benchmark-showdown

Gerio

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Middle MS
At this point, I believe its personal preference. I like Vmware so I use that. From what I hear, if you buy parallels the app will subject you to advertisements in their app which is not cool at all.

Vmware typically has a reputation of being more stable, and parallels has a reputation of being a bit faster for games.

I use Parallels 7 and had no plans to update until I read of someone's experience of faster performance with 8. I may give it a try.

The only ad I've ever seen in Parallels is when it first opens. There's a quick little promo that is easy to close and also offers the option to not show ads...

I can't imagine this little ad experience being enough to wreck someone's day.

Geri O

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
If anyone comes across a direct performance comparison between Parallels 7 and Parallels 8, please post a link. TIA>

-t

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't imagine this little ad experience being enough to wreck someone's day.
Perhaps not but after spending 40+ dollars on a product I don't think its right that you are then subjected to seeing adds to increase their revenue. I don't have parallels but others say it can be more invasive. I cannot say if that is the case or not, just pointing out one thing :)

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Parallels rocks

Listen I have no vested interest in either company, but I've found parallels integrates extremely well, has nice features (coherence mode, etc) and is updated regularly by the vendor in anticipation of Mac refinements. Never had a problem at all. The speed is nice too, an advantage over Fusion.

Romeosc

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
I bought Parallels Desktop 7 For Mac for $28 from Newegg 2 weeks ago and got a free upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 For Mac!

I installed Snow Leopard Server so I could run legacy PPC software.

Works great on 2012 MBP 15"!

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
You have to BUY 8.

I had just recently bought v7 and didn't know there was a v8. I had bought v7 and if warranted would have bought v8, had I known.

Anyway, what improvements are there? v7 runs fine under ML for me.

Also, golf1410, do you know what the free upgrade period is/was?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
A complete useless benchmark since they've optimised nearly everything to the max. It is only useful to less than 1% of the Mac users. Everybody else does not have those specs nor ability to tweak things. Also setting 4 virtual cpus for a vm when you have 4 physical cores is asking for trouble and shows very little understanding of what you are testing. The same goes for their previous VMware Fusion 5 benchmarks (they haven't got one for Parallels Desktop 8).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.