Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Wow, Apple just announced a media event for the 12th. I never saw that one coming. :D

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
This is ultimate proof that the device will be called "iPhone '12" and that the next-gen iPhone offers FIVE brand new features.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If they call it the 5, I wonder why they decided not to drop the number. Perhaps they plan on keeping three models around (4 super-cheap, 4S, and 5) and they thought not having numbers would be confusing?

Wow, Apple just announced a media event for the 12th. I never saw that one coming. :D

I know you are being sarcastic, but it's a day earlier than they've announced events in the past. Probably because they want to preempt the other events going on this week.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Someone needs to write a letter to Phil Schiller and explain to him that this CANNOT be "iPhone 5" because this is actually the 6th generation iPhone.

Oh, not again.

It's the 5th generation iPhone. The original iPhone and the iPhone 3G are both considered the first generation because they had identical hardware internally, except for the baseband chip.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
maybe its an "s" for suckers! and they just call it the new "iphone" anyway

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
No, no, you've got it all wrong!!! The new iPhone 6 will have a 5-inch screen! Yeah, that's it! Everybody knows that! Phil Schiller came over to my house last night and told me over a game of Scrabble and a '78 Bordeaux.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is unusual for Apple in many ways, most notably how it's going to happen about exactly a week after the Nokia/Windows Phone announcement. Comparisons will be everywhere, and if Apple doesn't deliver on NFC and Wireless charging in a 4.5" device, it will appear as though they're slipping.

And they won't add that much tech to the iPhone 5. Or if they do, color me surprised.

Honestly I think companies have their announcements ahead of Apple's "rumored" dates... (which later go on to eventually become true) just so they DO compare them to Apple.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Still think the current gen should've been the iPhone 5 and this new one the iPhone 6....but that's just me. Looking forward to the launch of the new iPhone!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They aren't calling the it "the new iPhone" because there will always be at least3 iPhones in the marketplace at the same time. Imagine they start calling each one the new iPhone...and in two years you have 3 new iPhones to choose from. Might as well start naming them by the price!

And before some uses the iPad as an example, don't. The iPad will be the same as the MacBook. You'll have the mini (air) and the retina (pro) and each year a new one is released, the old one goes away. They won't continue to have older models on the market at the same time.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I hate Apple so much. Please, for the all that is sane, call it the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.