Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
This was obviously released a day early to try to cover up the FBI leak as much as possible in the press.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I wonder if the "5" is a misdirection of some kind. Maybe they have 5 things to announce between iPod, Macs and iPhone?

I struggle with the 6th generation iPhone, with an A6 processor, running iOS 6 and 4G LTE being called the iPhone 5. With all those numbers floating around it seems like a marketing nightmare. I would have gone with "The new iPhone" -- unless Apple feels like doing that with the iPad caused confusion.

UPDATE:
Before anybody else replies to this comment and misconstrues it as some kind of personal campaign to call the next generation iPhone the "iPhone 6" or "The new iPhone" please be advised that Apple could call it anything they want and I would totally be at peace. I'm just offering an opinion and trying to guess the motivations of why they did not go with "The new iPhone" when that was their direction for "iPad". Some of you out there have apparently become personally invested in the "iPhone 5" name and feel that today is the time rub it in the noses of "the opposition". For those who feel that way, I will be praying for you that the "5" shadow indeed means the next iPhone will be called the "iPhone 5" -- I would hate for your world to come crashing down around you in September 12th -- I promise not to be here gloating if they don't call it "iPhone 5", because I really don't care -- I'm just trying to guess at Apple marketing motivations compared to other naming conventions they have chosen for iPad and previously for iPod. For those who don't recall, when the "4S" was named it caused a bit of a stir in the media too and John Gruber and Marco Arment both commented on it. Their take on it was the same as mine: if Apple had simply called the 4S the iPhone 5, would there have been less backlash, really what's in a name?

Last edited:

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Bit of a damp squib in terms of the actual invite.

The previous iPad:
ipad_invite.jpg

And iPhone:
Apple-Invite.jpg

Invites were quite nice in that they felt like little puzzles to solve and got people talking. There's not exactly much room for 'interpretation' here!

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Everyone's missing the point. The "5" in the shadow refers to the A5 chip, not the name of the phone. It HAS to be called iPhone 6. :p

</sarcasm off> :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
All along I was secretly hoping they'll call it the iPhone 5 so all you iPhone 6 trolls can find out how the real world works.

This is for all the stupid idiots that don’t know how the real world works.

2007 iphone named: iphone (because it’s a cool name)

2008 iphone named: iphone 3G (because of the 3G speed)

2009 iphone named: iphone 3Gs (because of the extra speed for the 3G)

2010 iphone named: iphone 4 (because it would be dumb to call it iphone 5,6,7,8 or anything else.)

2011 iphone named: iphone 4s (because every two years they like to add a “s” for speed and calling it 5 would be retarded when it looks the same. It also allows them to sell a crap load of new phones with very little changed.)

2012 iphone named: iphone 5 (because that is the name. If you ignore the dam “generation” and how many phones there were. And if you look at the world outside your nerd house; you will notice that EVERYONE else in the REAL world is waiting for the iphone 5. It will just confuse to many people and make even less sence to call it anything else. READ EXAMPLES)

The generation argument is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

Generation Example:
2012: iphone 6
2013: iphone 6s
2014: iphone 8
2015: iphone 8s
2016: iphone 10
2017: iphone 10s

Makes sense Example:
2012: iphone 5
2013: iphone 5s
2014: iphone 6
2015: iphone 6s
2016: iphone 7
2017: iphone 7s

Nerd speak “well you can’t call the 2016 iphone 7 because it’s the 10th phone”

DUMBASSES!!

I also think they will / should keep the numbers so they can keep adding the “S”. If they drop the number every other year the phone would be called “the new iphone s”?

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
This invite wasn't supposed to go out until tomorrow but like everything else surrounding this phone it got leaked a bit early.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
At least we know the next two models of the iPhone will be called.

2012- iPhone 5
2013- iPhone 5S

;)

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Not that I care that much about the name of it, but I do think it'd be pretty stupid to call the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder if the "5" is a misdirection of some kind. Maybe they have 5 things to announce between iPod, Macs and iPhone?

I struggle with the 6th generation iPhone, with an A6 processor, running iOS 6 and 4G LTE being called the iPhone 5. With all those numbers floating around it seems like a marketing nightmare. I would have gone with "The new iPhone" -- unless Apple feels like doing that with the iPad caused confusion.

Which will be solved by it having an A5 (smaller) and LTE (not 4G LTE to avoid the marketing disaster overseas). iPhone 5 with A5S and LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.