Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Why call it the iPhone 5 and not call the new iPad the iPad 3?

Job's would never have allowed this, etc etc....

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I was kinda hoping they would retire these numbers. It is getting kinda stupid. The iPad gave me hope that we would move on from this.

Since I don't have LTE here this might be the first iPhone that I don't buy on day one. Since the other upgrades seem minimal.

I wonder if we will see iTunes 11 and a final date for iOS 6.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Glad Apple is keeping with the tradition of messing up naming conventions based on generation and messing with people. Seeing as how the iPhone 3G was labeled as the 2G iPhone but it was also the 3G. The original iPhone was 2.5G in terms of EDGE data, and then 3G for the 3G. So now we'll be calling this Apple's 6G iPhone, the iPhone 5 -- which is the sixth iteration...

anonApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'll throw my hat into the "5 things coming" group. My prediction

-iPhone
-iPod Touch
-iPod Nano
-iMac
-Mac Mini

iPad Mini will have it's own event, although I still have some doubt it's coming. Not ruling it out completely, just sayin I have some doubt about it.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
The 5 shadow could mean more than just the iPhone 5. Could be the number of products launched:

13" Retina, iMac, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPod Touch.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
They didn't leave a lot of room for speculation this time around. Makes me glad I won't be seeing all the insane threads trying to decipher the invite.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
What is common sense about the 6th gen iPhone being named the iPhone 5?

Because it's not named generationally? After 4 you tweak and make a 4S, then the next new design is 5... It just makes sense to everyone but those who like to read binary and did degrees in Klingon.

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Now you lot need to stop it cos you sound really sad ... Its a phone thats all ... Who cares ... Its too small to do anything usefull on and they are so common now that they are looking distinctly ESSEX

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Why yes.. December 5th IS almost here.
Thank you for the reminder Apple!

BTW... PowerBook G5 that day. Makes sense.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Not that I care that much about the name of it, but I do think it'd be pretty stupid to call the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5.

The general public (you know the ones who will actually be buying this phone by the millions) don't know or care that this is the 6th generation iPhone.

The last phones were called "iPhone 4" and "iPhone 4S". This one being called "iPhone 5" will make total sense to them.

Well, maybe except the ones who bought a 'new iPad' and they might be a little bit :confused:

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
They aren't calling the it "the new iPhone" because there will always be at least3 iPhones in the marketplace at the same time. Imagine they start calling each one the new iPhone...and in two years you have 3 new iPhones to choose from. Might as well start naming them by the price!

And before some uses the iPad as an example, don't. The iPad will be the same as the MacBook. You'll have the mini (air) and the retina (pro) and each year a new one is released, the old one goes away. They won't continue to have older models on the market at the same time.

^This, but maybe stated a little nicer. ;)

pwaryuex

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
I wonder if the "5" is a misdirection of some kind. Maybe they have 5 things to announce between iPod, Macs and iPhone?

I struggle with the 6th generation iPhone, with an A6 processor, running iOS 6 and 4G LTE being called the iPhone 5. With all those numbers floating around it seems like a marketing nightmare. I would have gone with "The new iPhone" -- unless Apple feels like doing that with the iPad caused confusion.

I have no idea why people online don't get this: The overwhelming majority of people would expect the new iPhone to be a 5. The name of the current model is a 4x, and the one before that is a 3xx. And that's all people remember. 3, 4, 5, right? Also, remember while products are new (and iPhones are), lower numbers are smaller - sounds like each incantation is around for a long time and will last more than the ~2/3 years.

99.9% of people on the streets neither know nor care what 'generation' the phone is, what chip it has, what iOS it runs. My step dad thought his iPhone was white because he forgot it has a white cover on it! Most people who use iPhones really have no clue about what makes them work, and that's a good thing, really.

Apple is a business and it's catering to what people want. If you argue that they should 'correctly' call it the 6, you're completely arguing against Apple's philosophy of making things simple and accessible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.