Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Business Insider reports on a new research note from Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley claiming that Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III has surpassed Apple's iPhone 4S to become the top-selling smartphone in the United States. Walkley's data shows the iPhone 4S continuing to lead at AT&T during August but falling to second at Sprint behind the Galaxy S III and third at Verizon behind the Galaxy S III and the Motorola RAXR MAXX. The Galaxy S III is also on top at T-Mobile, which does not officially offer the iPhone.

Click for larger
The shift is due to a combination of factors, partly strong performance by Samsung with its new flagship smartphone launched in June and partly weakness on the part of the iPhone as consumers begin to hold off in anticipation of the iPhone 5 set for later this month following an introduction next week.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S III Reportedly Tops iPhone 4S as Best-Selling U.S. Smartphone

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The SGS3 is a very nice phone. I'm very impressed with it but I have to think that is the closest to the iPhone one can get without actually owning an iPhone; for very obvious reasons. (beat dead horse) It's a bit large for my pocket though.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
So?

Somehow I don't see Apple shaking. This will all change after the 21st (or whatever the actual launch date is). This roller coaster reporting is so stupid. Nobody is going to hold the top spot indefinitely, nor does it mean the products are good or the buyers are happy. Oh well. Hope the new iPhone doesn't suck, because I really want one.

daveup2bat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
California
so what....

this will change once the iPhone 5 comes out, and have you seen the S III? It's freaking HUGE! Who want's that mini tablet of a phone in your pocket! Not me!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love the defensiveness in the comments.
I love my iPhone and won't be moving away from it again any time soon but really, you have to admit that there are some nice phones on the market.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Business Insider reports on a new research note from Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley claiming that Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III has surpassed Apple's iPhone 4S to become the top-selling smartphone in the United States. Walkley's data shows the iPhone 4S continuing to lead at AT&T during August but falling to second at Sprint behind the Galaxy S III and third at Verizon behind the Galaxy S III and the Motorola RAXR MAXX. The Galaxy S III is also on top at T-Mobile, which does not officially offer the iPhone.

The shift is due to a combination of factors, partly strong performance by Samsung with its new flagship smartphone launched in June and partly weakness on the part of the iPhone as consumers begin to hold off in anticipation of the iPhone 5 set for later this month following an introduction next week.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S III Reportedly Tops iPhone 4S as Best-Selling U.S. Smartphone

Fantastic news.

This is what happens when you can't innovate and have to littigate folks!

The iPhone 4s, wow, real innovation over the 4. :rolleyes:

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
this will change once the iPhone 5 comes out, and have you seen the S III? It's freaking HUGE! Who want's that mini tablet of a phone in your pocket! Not me!

Have you seem the iPhone screen?? 3.5 inches, so tiny, size hasn't changed since 07, Jesus Christ!!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The iPhone 4S is an older device it only makes sense that the brand new SIII is selling so well. I'm sure the iPhone 5 will fix that.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Why is it so hard for a few people to realize that the gs3 is a genuinely a good phone, there's nothing wrong with an android device that is selling as well as an iPhone in its first few months, I'm saying this as a Samsung touchwiz hater

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
It overtook the iPhone months ago in most places. In the UK alone it overtook the iPhone within 1 week.

As others have said the leading vendor will change from month to month.

I know i'll never own an iPhone now, having used one once, it felt cheap nasty and made by the lowest bidder. Quality was not important. I'll say the same about Samsung as well, the Mrs has one, absolutely horrible. Cheap and nasty, just like the iPhone.

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
useless information

These kind of monthly analyses are useless as the lifecycle of some products are coming to an end and being compared to the sales spike of brand new products.

As for the gigantic phones being sold to people now... lol. Remember when the race was to thinner/smaller? I personally don't want one of those monsters but we are becoming increasingly connected, especially on-the-go so people may tolerate the awkwardness of a huge design but I see it more as a fad, for now.

Apple probably needs to reexamine their once-a-year product cycle. Otherwise they will see more and more of these peaks and valleys with the sale of iPhones. I'm personally tired of having to wait for a month to get my hands on a new one because 30 million other people are suddenly trying to buy it at the same time.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It overtook the iPhone months ago in most places. In the UK alone it overtook the iPhone within 1 week.

Source? Seems odd considering that the iPhone more than tripled GS3 sales for the quarter worldwide. Obviously, that is with one fewer month, but that's still a big difference.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

er, are you sure youre commenting on the right companies? it was Apple that innovated the hell out of the cell business, causing massive disruption and shifting fortunes -- please see near bankruptcies of Nokia and RIM. then came the clones like Samsung.

as for the 4S over the 4...you do realize apple practices an incremental strategy, yes? even w/ that they doubled the CPU, multiplied the GPU, doubled the storage and (i think) the ram, redesigned the antenna and doubled the thru put. what more could you want?

oh yeah, a new case design. rolleyes...

----------

Have you seem the iPhone screen?? 3.5 inches, so tiny, size hasn't changed since 07, Jesus Christ!!

and the problem is...? did your eyes get smaller during this time? mine havent. and the resolution on the device has doubled yielding a screen thats even easier to read now than when it came out.

----------

I know i'll never own an iPhone now, having used one once, it felt cheap nasty and made by the lowest bidder. Quality was not important. I'll say the same about Samsung as well, the Mrs has one, absolutely horrible. Cheap and nasty, just like the iPhone.

the iphone feels cheap and poorly made? riiiight.

geeze...the mental hoops people will jump thru to feel good about themselves is absurd. its a phone, man. not your self-esteem. i hope.

Dechter

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
And in unrelated news, mobile phone sales staff kick-back bonuses reportedly increased from $50 to $75 for every Android phone sold to a customer who initially came in to buy an iPhone.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
So, a well-built, spec'd-out, brand-new phone topped the iPhone, which has the entire tech world crazily talking about the release of its next generation, which is in less than a month.

In other news, the sky is blue.

strobel

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Fantastic news.

You have to love this kind of quote from someone trying to protect Samsung. They have never innovated anything. Look at the TV sets, they stole their technology from Sony! Keep supporting the South Korean knock-off artist.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
er, are you sure youre commenting on the right companies? it was Apple that innovated the hell out of the cell business, causing massive disruption and shifting fortunes -- please see near bankruptcies of Nokia and RIM. then came the clones like Samsung.

as for the 4S over the 4...you do realize apple practices an incremental strategy, yes? even w/ that they doubled the CPU, multiplied the GPU, doubled the storage and (i think) the ram, redesigned the antenna and doubled the thru put. what more could you want?

oh yeah, a new case design. rolleyes...

----------

and the problem is...? did your eyes get smaller during this time? mine havent. and the resolution on the device has doubled yielding a screen thats even easier to read now than when it came out.

----------

the iphone feels cheap and poorly made? riiiight.

geeze...the mental hoops people will jump thru to feel good about themselves is absurd. its a phone, man. not your self-esteem. i hope.

Your confusing updating with innovating.

Samsung is where the innovations at.

I can see you are upset about the iPhone being talked of in a negative fashion but please know that since the iPhone is no longer the most popular phone my opinion is backed by the majority.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As much as I like my iPhone 4S, I must admit I like my Galaxy S III even better.

There's a lot to be said for all of the features, how easily one can tailor it to their liking, and the speed that one experiences.

Competition is good for everyone, and if this is what Apple needs to wake them up, then it's all worth it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Wait- so now that the S3 is the most popular phone is it now cool to hate Samsung? Is apple the underdog again? I'm very confused, someone please tell me which phone will increase my social status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.