Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parts and repair firm iResQ has been slowly building its own iPhone 5 as parts have been coming in, as shown in yesterday's photos revealing the battery installed into the rear shell alongside several other components such as the dock connector/headphone jack flex cable, external buttons flex cable, and the rear camera assembly.

iresq_iphone5_4s_front_comparison.jpg

iResQ has now added a front panel to the mix, providing a good overall look at the iPhone 5 with several closeup photos. The assembly is of course non-functional, as it is missing the logic board and several other components, but nearly all of the externally-visible features are in place.

iresq_iphone_5_4s_side_comparison.jpg

Perhaps most notable is one closeup side-on shot showing the iPhone 5 laying next to an iPhone 4S on a table. The photo shows that the iPhone 5 is indeed substantially thinner than the iPhone 4S, by approximately the thickness of either the front or rear glass of the iPhone 4S. Apple's move toward thinner body components and a thinner distribution of internal components enabled by the larger surface area due to the 4-inch screen of the iPhone 5 have allowed the company to substantially shrink the device's overall thickness. Previous reports have pegged the iPhone 5 thickness at 7.6 mm, 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S at 9.3 mm.

iresq_iphone_5_4s_bottom_comparison.jpg

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 5 at its media event scheduled for next Wednesday, September 12.

Article Link: Closeup Photos Show Clear Difference in Thickness Between iPhone 5 and 4S

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Is it me, or have there been more leaks and mockups for this iPhone than for any previous models in years past?

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Why do they always compare to the 4S? The 4 has the same dimensions, but it always gets left out in comparisons...:D

xriderx11

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I HATE the bottom of the iphone!!! (where the speakers and charging port is) !! It looks like cheap plastic!!!! The iphone 4 looks so much more sturdy and more layed out! The different sized "speakers" will give me OCD xD

But hey,,,, Its only a mock up....

daverso

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Well, I wish i actually was excited about the keynote... MacRumors is too good at its job now!

kanesw

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Nottingham
Not a fan that the front glass isn't flush with the edges - looks a bit inconsistent and sloppy, but if thats as thin as they can make it then I can't complain

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
How are my tiny carnie hands supposed to type on that thing. I can barely handle landscape mode on the current iPhone.

Back to formula!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.