Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hi,

Got the base MBA loving it, 2012 edition. However I am getting a USB 3.0 external hdd for music etc, as it has 64gb SSD, however can I install programmes on there, so I have my SSD free, as well as keeping my music in iTunes can it be sourced from the external HDD?

Thanks, just wondering how you guys are managing this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

Got the base MBA loving it, 2012 edition. However I am getting a USB 3.0 external hdd for music etc, as it has 64gb SSD, however can I install programmes on there, so I have my SSD free, as well as keeping my music in iTunes can it be sourced from the external HDD?

Some apps may not update or operate properly if they're moved from the /Applications folder. You're better off moving user files, rather than apps or system files.

Freeing up space in Mac OS X

One method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, so it's available when you're mobile, with the remainder stored on an external drive.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thats great, its just the iTunes issue I have, which im sure I'll solve with the info above, the rest is fine only going to be office etc.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Uh, even if it lets you, not a good idea. A USB-attached drive is a REMOVABLE, meaning the system cannot assume it's always there and therefore...

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hi,

I would highly recommend getting a 128GB SSD for your 11" MBA, 64GB is just too small. You can get them for $167 from OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012

The upgrade from a 64 to 128GB SSD was only $100 from Apple.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Best thing to do is store all your music on the external and keep a small precept age on the internal drive. I like to keep what I am currently listing to in the internal and everything else on the external then every once and a while I delete and up date my computer with new music. This works great for me because I have an iPod classic 160gb with everything on it. So if there is anything I want to listen to that's not on the computer I use the iPod either in my speaker dock or headphones. This is just what I do to help save space.

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thinking of returning tomorrow and swapping out for the 128gb SSD, i'm sure apple will be fine with that, only bought my MBA today.

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Yep. You have a 14-day window to return with no questions asked.

Thanks, yeah, even my 3 year apple care ? - Will they transfer that to the new MBA I get tomorrow?

Also, any way to wipe this MBA of all my logins details etc :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, yeah, even my 3 year apple care ? - Will they transfer that to the new MBA I get tomorrow?

Also, any way to wipe this MBA of all my logins details etc :)
If you return it, the Apple reps can help you with transferring/wiping your data and with AppleCare. Just tell them you want to exchange your MBA and they'll take care of you.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Can never have enough space

I like (and need) space. My 2011 11" MBA has the 256 GB SSD and my 2012 13" has 512 GB SSD. Worth it to me. Especially if you plan on keeping the machine for a good bit of time and think that, just maybe, applications will require more space in the future.

I do keep my photo images on external drives, backed up of course as they alone occupy 367 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.