Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seans9

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
We've gone over this before. "Early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 subsidized price.

Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
i've been eligible for an upgrade since the iphone 4s came out. But I got my 4s for free because the at&t store forgot to charge me.

They even did a "sale audit" of some sort. They called me back and said, hey, when you came in for your iphone, did you pay for it?" I said, yes i did!

When in all actuality, I walked out of that store without paying. The guy was new, so I think he just set up the phone and forgot to charge me for it. hahaha

Keep it classy PerplexShyt

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.

You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.

My buddy is a higher up manager at AT&T. Just asked him and he stated " that no the contract terms have not been modified for the new release, if we do so then a contract will have to be at least half completed."

This is my personal friend and has no reason to say different. In Sean's case I don't think they gave him the correct info.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010

I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!

If you want it then it's worth it right haha.. I tell my wife that all the time

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
i might just sell my 4s and buy the phone unlocked from apple rather than commit two more years with att. after May i might joint boost mobile.

Same, but not the boost mobile part. I might switch to Verizon next year, and I'd rather do full price this year and have my contract end next year than half a discount and pay an etf in a year.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

My mother is eligible for the full upgrade (she has the 3GS) and gets the same text. Unfortunately, "an upgrade" doesn't tell you what kind of upgrade you're eligible for and hence doesn't mean anything. It's an ambiguous and dangerous statement.

So far, we have yet to hear from a launch day 4S owner who has convincingly shown they're eligible for the full upgrade come Sept 12th.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?

Early upgrade = $250 fee. When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011

This'll be my 6th, all launch day buys. If they're cutting any iPhone owner any slack, it's me. But they won't, so I just go on with my life.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.

When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.

We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?

Website: "You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

*639#: "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

How can you say that. We have years of experience. Hell, I helped put together the Upgrade Guide.

Yes, the text differs, but we know the differences already.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

Keep hope alive...

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA

"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
"You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.

Thanks. Now does anyone who bought the 4S (with subsidy) less than 12 months ago get a different message than shown above?

----------

"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.

Again, "early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 price. We've settled that.

What I would like to see is more along the line of "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" or something to that effect.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Hi folks,

I hardly post here, but it's usually around htis time is when I post. I dialed *637# (new) to see if I am eligible for an early upgrade. As of today it states ..
When I dial *637# on my iphone 4s, I get a spinning wheel and then nothing? Do you usually get a response immediately?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
:) I meant with subsidy (not at full contract-free price).

Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.

Yep. Is there any subsidized 4S owner with "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" on at&t website?

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011

Nah we don't, we just pay $450 more than those who get the new upgrade price. Since I'm selling my 64GB 4S for nearly $600, it doesn't bother me.

Go Bulls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.