Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Okay, some questions:

-Will pendrive increase battery drain?
-Is pendrive good for backup files?
-Can I make bootable drive, i.e. Windows on pendrive?
-Will 1080p movie lag on pendrive?
-Can be something like this?

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Okay, some questions:

-Will pendrive increase battery drain?
-Is pendrive good for backup files?
-Can I make bootable drive, i.e. Windows on pendrive?
-Will 1080p movie lag on pendrive?
-Can be something like this?

1) No.
2) Depending your needs, drive quality and such, but for average stuff it's ok. But why don't use online storage? Dropbox and such?
3) Windows can't boot in external drives.
4) No.
5) Yes.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
2) Depending your needs, drive quality and such, but for average stuff it's ok. But why don't use online storage? Dropbox and such?

I'm not the original poster but I can give some very good reasons for not using online storage:

A) Security from hackers
B) Security from the government
C) Low bandwidth connections
D) No connection at all
E) Online storage goes down
F) Online storage gets discontinued

Local storage is best.

I use several USB 'thumb drives' for backup and rotate between them. I also have memory cards in the card slots in the computers for additional storage.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
I'm not the original poster but I can give some very good reasons for not using online storage:

A) Security from hackers
C) Low bandwidth connections
D) No connection at all
E) Online storage goes down
F) Online storage gets discontinued

Local storage is best.

I use several USB 'thumb drives' for backup and rotate between them. I also have memory cards in the card slots in the computers for additional storage.

That's why I said: depending your needs.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Can you install Windows 7 into a USB drive and boot from there? I've never seen it. I know you can do it with Mac OS X.

It's not easy, and not sure how it works on a Mac, but you can do it.

----------

1) No.
3) Windows can't boot in external drives.
4) No.
5) Yes.

1) Yes, how do you think you power the drive? pixy dust? Grant it, it's not very much, but how much of a battery drain will depend on the drive. Probably just a few minutes.

4) Yes, I watch 1080 videos off my 5400rpm HDD that's connected to my WiFi router via USB, a directly attached flash drive will play video just fine. Even better if its USB3

5) If you don't have a 2012 Air then don't bother with a USB3 drive you wont see the benefit.

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Can you install Windows 7 into a USB drive and boot from there? I've never seen it. I know you can do it with Mac OS X.

Its not pretty but also not that difficult - I've done it, and I'm no genius. The tricky parts are partitioning correctly and using rEFIt. Plenty of guides on Google though, and when I did it the installation was done in <10 minutes.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

A) Security from hackers

I'm not sure about how you store your sensitive files (financial, etc), but I don't think the government will be breaking any of the encrypted files I have stored... And any of the unencrypted files are just photos and meaningless school papers. If the FBI wants to read my essay on The Metamorphosis, go at it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.