Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivan98

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Anyone find a solution to this issue?

I'm having the exact same problem: Connecting the rMBP w/Mountain Lion to an external Dell U2410 set to it's native resolution of 1920x1200 with HDMI. Everything, especially text *but* also graphics (photos, close/minimize/maximize buttons, etc.), looks very fuzzy and not sharp. Hooking the same monitor to a Windows 7 PC gives excellent picture (used it for 1 year before switching to the new rMBP).

I've the same issue.

Dell 24" U2410 external monitor, 1920x1200, connected by DisplayPort
MBA 13" 2011, 10.8 ML
MBP Retina, 10.8 ML

MBA to Dell is good, text/graphics is as should be, nice and clear.
rMBP to Dell is blurry with washed-out colours.

I've just installed 10.8.1 and will retry when I get back home.

UPDATE: Nope, 10.8.1 behaves the same.

Last edited:

orrsella

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
This basically renders my external monitor unusable for anything, especially anything with text. *SO* frustrating...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't understand how this thread can exist without a single photo. Is it some kind of Loch Ness Monster?

There's a reason the phrase "pics or it didn't happen" exists.

ivan98

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
OK. Finally the digicam has some free time. See http://goo.gl/XLdMf

Notice when the MacBookAir4,2 is connected, a range of resolutions is available:
  • 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 1920x1200x 1600x1200, 1600x1000, 1344x1008, 1344x840, 1280x1024, 1280x960, 1280x800, 1024x768, 1024x640, 960x600, 800x600, 800x500, 720x576, 640x480
When MacBookPro10,1 is connected, only 3 choices present itself:
  • 1920x1200, 1600x1000, 1280x800
Compare the 2 photos, look at the "1920" in the selected "1920x1200" option. Notice how the bottom of the "1", "9", "2", "0" are smudged together.

ivan98

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Done. I've added 2 more photos to the same album http://goo.gl/XLdMf, comparing the Colors tab.
  • Both MBA & rMBP detected the Dell display correctly, using the U2410 profile. However, rMBP also offers a generic "Display" profile immediately below, whereas MBA doesn't. (What does this mean?)
These 2 Colors tab photos also illustrate the issue better. Notice how, when the rMBP is connected, the fonts have a white shadow all around the black fonts.

I've since went over to discussions.apple.com and found 2 similar threads:
Further background
  • The same mini-DP to DP cable is used to connect MBA, rMBP (and my previous 2008 MBP) and have been in service since I've the Dell. No issues at all, except the rMBP.
  • I've tried HDMI-HDMI from rMBP to Dell. Same lousy display quality.
  • The Dell accepts DP, HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs.
  • On the monitor itself, I can press a few buttons to ask for display info. In both cases, the Dell reports it is displaying in 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. (So this rules out the problem of trying to display 1920x1080 on a 1920x1200 native display).
  • I've done a Factory Reset on the Dell, to no avail.
  • I've done a SMC/PRAM Reset on the rMBP, to no avail.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Jeez, I forgot about this thread. D'oh.

I finally ended up using a mDP->DVI cable from Monoprice and now it looks good. It's still extremely annoying as I'd like to be able to use mDP->Anything and not have it look like crap. But for now, it will do.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What is your external displays resolution? If it is above 1920x1200 than it is a dual link display and if you plug a single link to mini display adapter you will get 1/2 the vert and horiz res (so 1/4 total res). If that is the case, you will need to either shell out $100 for a dual link to mini display cable from apple...or grab a display to mini display cable for $10 if your display has display port (apple is about the only company not using it...so it should.)

I'm currently using a 24" 1080p display plugged into the HDMI and a 27" 2560x1600 display using mini display and both look amazingly brilliant.

Angus McFeargus

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Austin, TX
I wish I were contributing something positive to this thread, but no. Put me down as a "Me too" for fuzzy text/images on external monitors.

I'm using a MBPr with two Dell 1907FP monitors (1280x1024) attached via MiniDP-DVI adapters. Things I've tried that make no difference:

• Font smoothing
  • Color calibration
  • Refresh rate
  • Using only one ext. monitor instead of two
  • Using the HDMI port instead of the MiniDP/Thunderbolt ports
  • A different external monitor (Dell P1913b)

mtbouchard

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
I have the same problem: my dell 2410 is in not in RGB color space when hooked up to my new macbook pro retina via minidisplay/TB->displayPort.

I tried to use a monoprice mini->DVI CABLE which works for a few minutes (looks good) but then the signal is lost!

yg17 & pgiguere1: are you using an APAPTOR or a straight cable.

matt

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
It appears only Dell monitors are affected.

I personally use a Dell 2407WFP plugged through DVI and everything looks fine.

Soneone mentioned using a Samsung monitor in the previous page and got the same problem, so it's not exclusive to Dell monitors.

richardz88

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
I feel I should add that when using Parallels, the external displays are able to display Windows 7 and all Windows apps normally with no "fuzz".

The ways Mac and Windows rendering fonts are different - Mac has such bold and print optimized font rendering, while Windows has the thin and display (LCD) optimized style. I prefer windows one, and find the font "fuzzy" on external monitor when I first start using macbook pro retina. But now, after two months of use, I am already get use to it and accepted the fact - it is not the end of the world, move on :(!

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
The ways Mac and Windows rendering fonts are different - Mac has such bold and print optimized font rendering, while Windows has the thin and display (LCD) optimized style. I prefer windows one, and find the font "fuzzy" on external monitor when I first start using macbook pro retina. But now, after two months of use, I am already get use to it and accepted the fact - it is not the end of the world, move on :(!

It's not the font rendering, Apple definitely messed up their drivers. If you look at the official forums you see the problem is there with a lot of recent macs (2011 models too, older ones don't seem to have the same problem). It's not something you should have to put up with, and I'm not sure if you're hit with the same problem. The problem people are talking about is not specific to fonts.

----------

Surely it's my own fault for not buying some big expensive Apple Cinema Displays!

From what I've read on the official forums, even the Apple Cinema Displays have the same problem when you use the HDMI of the rmbp.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Jeez, I forgot about this thread. D'oh.

I finally ended up using a mDP->DVI cable from Monoprice and now it looks good. It's still extremely annoying as I'd like to be able to use mDP->Anything and not have it look like crap. But for now, it will do.

To repeat my earlier post, my MacBook Pro with Retina display works perfectly connected to my Dell U2410 monitor using a MONOPRICE Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Sometimes, I need to close and the reopen the lid on the laptop in order to get the right Resolution. HDMI doesn't work.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
To repeat my earlier post, my MacBook Pro with Retina display works perfectly connected to my Dell U2410 monitor using a MONOPRICE Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Sometimes, I need to close and the reopen the lid on the laptop in order to get the right Resolution. HDMI doesn't work.

I would hardly call that working perfectly. Especially since the adapter you're using costs $70.

This should work flawlessly with a basic, 5 dollar mDP->DP or DVI cable, without ever having to do any tricks like closing and reopening the laptop. Anything less is unacceptable IMO.

While it does work for me using a cheap, basic mDP->DVI cable, that's not enough. It should work with an mDP->DVI cable, just like it does on my 3 and a half year old MacBook.

sbevy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Dell Monitors

I'm trying to connect my MBP Retina to two screens.

Dell E2210H connected with DVI/mini port adaptor nice clear text etc.

Dell SP2208WFP connected with HDMI fuzzy as hell, tried with DVI/mini port adaptor still fuzzy??

Annoying :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.