Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Promenade Temecula retail store in Temecula, California was reportedly hit by smash-and-grab robbers last night. According to reports, the robbers used a car to obliterate the entire front glass and security grating of the store before making off with an undetermined amount of merchandise.

temecula_store_robbed_1.jpg

As photos of the store show, the car penetrated far enough into the store that several product display tables were moved and or significantly damaged.

temecula_store_robbed_2.jpg

The store is obviously closed today, and Apple has yet to announce when it will reopen.

(Thanks for the photos, Chris!)

Update: Tech-SHIZZLE has additional photos from the scene.

Article Link: Apple's Temecula Retail Store Reportedly Smashed by Car, Merchandise Stolen

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
So they are stealing floor demos? Actual merchandise is locked away in cages or back rooms. Unless they somehow break into that also...

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Crazy, drunk driving, sleep-walking thieves! I'm sure that will be their excuse to the judge when they go to court. :p

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Lol, I'm sure Apple is just as confused as us when it comes to why the stole demo models, unless they also stole packaged accessories and other products farther back. Does this store not have a security guard? I don't expect one to protect against that, but they usually mention him.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
No wonder they're resorting to theft to make money. They're stupid. I doubt they recovered much more than the cost of the vehicle damage because all they could get to were floor demos and accessories.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Lol, I'm sure Apple is just as confused as us when it comes to why the stole demo models, unless they also stole packaged accessories and other products farther back. Does this store not have a security guard? I don't expect one to protect against that, but they usually mention him.

The stores rarely have overnight guards outside of launch periods. Generally that's the only time anyone tries this kind of thing. Otherwise it's basic during the day shoplifting or employee theft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.