Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Since I got an aluminum iPad, I am kinda disinterested in those plastic things ;(
I had the same attitude a couple of months ago but after trying the Nexus7 I'm a little more tolerant of it. At the price point of ~$200 it doesn't bother me. Besides, it reduces weight which is definitely a plus.

However, I would not consider a full sized (~10"), full priced (~$500+) tablet that's made of plastic.

I'm not wasting my money on any Amazon crap

What an excellent blind judgement :rolleyes: That's precisely what I hate about people who claim that Apple stuff is "crap".

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I'm going to play Hater On Amazon right now:

This thing is simply a bigger Fire. The most innovative thing (if you can call it that) about this thing is the cheap LTE plan! Amazon seemed to market the hell out the of the specs, which didn't really translate into noticeable benefits for the consumer. Who will actually notice that their new fire has two smart-switching antennas? Did the old Fire have an issue streaming stuff? I'm guessing no, so...as long as you can stream a video without noticeable buffering pauses, WHO WILL CARE?

This is the same Amazon front-end it has always been. Which is the point, I know, but still...I was hoping for a more ferocious competitior to the iPad.

/Hater

I can't wait to see this thing in action!

It has a much better screen and faster processor too. I am never sure what people expect product upgrades to do. Most of the presentation was about software updates.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Yes because you guys know EXACTLY what resolution screen Apple is releasing with the iPad Mini.

Do you really think Apple is going to have an Retina iPhone and a Retina iPad and then release the mini with a sh-t display?

Really? Have you not seen what Apple has released the last year with the iPad and MBPro?

If it has a retina display, they are going to be charging $399 for it, and not a penny less.

They aren't going to sell a retina ipad for $299 and a non-retina for $399. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
I think amazon just stole the tablet market.

I think the superior speakers are the most interesting feature here, pretty neat.

But Amazon had to do this. Their traditional retail business is being eroded by digital distribution, which is becoming a much more competitive market: fewer barriers for distributors, and Amazon doesn't enjoy nearly as much market power.

Bezos was right to get into this market aggressively, but he is playing catch-up. Steve was working on this in the early 2000s. The first ebook attempt died in 2001, so Amazon was focused on basically dominating publishers and BN for the next 6-7 years.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
The problem is Amazon is just as closed that the Apple Market. I've know a couple people buy them thinking they were getting Android only to take them back when they realised that Amazon has to approve all Apps meaning that many of the popular ones are not supported

Amazon is only closed with respect to its version of android, but the popular thing about amazon is the openness of their ecosystem compared to apple's. For example, I buy apps from the app store for my ipad, but I (personally) never purchase books, movies or music from itunes. I do that from amazon, because I know I can read, watch, listen, on any device (including just about tv)... even if I move away from the apple ecosystem.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Near-retina quality 8.9" tablet for $299? Hot damn.

The 768p iPad mini will look like garbage compared to the Fire HD.

relative to the size, it's probably retina quality by Apple's PPI standards.

----------

How so? Where exactly is the innovation? The Kindle Fire is a pretty bland little tablet.

the innovation in LTE data pricing and competitive hardware pricing

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
It has a much better screen and faster processor too. I am never sure what people expect product upgrades to do. Most of the presentation was about software updates.

Well yeah, it's bigger, I hope it has a better screen and processor! I want it to be more that just a larger Fire? The way Apple updates products to DO something NEW?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I hope the resolution of the iPad Mini was a joke. Because compared to 8.9" Fire HD, it will look bad. We all know Apple prides itself in having HD resolution on all devices now a days.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Amazon is only closed with respect to its version of android, but the popular thing about amazon is the openness of their ecosystem compared to apple's. For example, I buy apps from the app store for my ipad, but I (personally) never purchase books, movies or music from itunes. I do that from amazon, because I know I can read, watch, listen, on any device (including just about tv)... even if I move away from the apple ecosystem.

Exactly. That doesn't mean I wouldn't or don't buy Apple products. But media is a safer bet through Amazon. Proprietary or not.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
It still comes down to software and the Kindle Fire UI is a piss poor performer. Funny the did not mention other data plans. You might have to pay $50 once you go over the limits like other prepaid data plans which would be horrible.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
If it has a retina display, they are going to be charging $399 for it, and not a penny less.

They aren't going to sell a retina ipad for $299 and a non-retina for $399. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

They are not going to be charging $399 for the iPad Mini with Retina in the SFF market.

You sound like the same people that said the iPad was going to cost $1000.

----------

Are you still pretending that Apple has any secrets left?

Are you still pretending you know what the iPad Mini has as a display?

At least my argument is bound in fact. What's your's based on?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well yeah, it's bigger, I hope it has a better screen and processor! I want it to be more that just a larger Fire? The way Apple updates products to DO something NEW?

It also has a front facing camera.

I'm not sure what exactly you want. Most/all of the updating to the fire is similar to what Apple has done from the iPad 1 to 2...

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I hope the resolution of the iPad Mini was a joke. Because compared to 8.9" Fire HD, it will look bad.

I would be surprised if Apple released something that low res. It would mark an irrefutable demarkation between the Jobs and Cook eras.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

So, Apple does NEW and Amazon does not. Then how come Fire HD is as good as iPad (even better if the data plan is taken into consideration)?

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
relative to the size, it's probably retina quality by Apple's PPI standards.

----------

the innovation in LTE data pricing and competitive hardware pricing

I'd hesitate to say that selling at a loss is innovation.

Re: Sony Playstation 3 (near its introduction), Nexus 7, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.