Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
amazon-event-2012-_1372_gallery_post.jpeg

Damn, beating apple at it's own game. None of the ipads feature this.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Think it'll have volume buttons?

Sorry, but I've tried a Kindle Fire and it seemed like the technology was pretty mediocre. Maybe this will be different, but I'm not convinced yet. In any case, I'm satisfied with my iPad. :apple:

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
iPad could definitely use better speakers. I'll give that as a good +1 to Amazon.
As happy as I am with the iPad, the speaker is pretty awful. Hopefully they're closer to implementing that "speakers behind glass" trick that was mentioned in a patent a few years back. I can't imagine how that would sound good.....but who knows.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I would bet that the 7 inch version is far closer to the 1024x768 you think the iPad Mini might...might...have.

As was beaten to death here ages ago, the Apple Mini isn't a 7"er, it's an 8". "40% more area blah blah blah". And that's a lot closer to the bigger Fire than the smaller Fire.

The objectors are correct - 768p at that size is going to look a whole lot worse than the Fire - and that's before accounting for price.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Amazon is only closed with respect to its version of android, but the popular thing about amazon is the openness of their ecosystem compared to apple's. For example, I buy apps from the app store for my ipad, but I (personally) never purchase books, movies or music from itunes. I do that from amazon, because I know I can read, watch, listen, on any device (including just about tv)... even if I move away from the apple ecosystem.

You know there are plenty of apps and ways out there to move your itunes library from apple to another type of device. It's not like apple uses a proprietary file format. I put my entire library on Google Music and the movies are all mp4s.....

I find each OS interesting. Amazon and Apple work to present an OS experience which makes interacting with content and such easy and quick. Google works on making an OS you can turn into whatever you want. I think too many people discount what Amazon and Apple do to tweak/build their UIs. A majority of users don't want to flash custom ROMs or root/jailbreak their devices.

That's why Android is boring to me. I'm not buying a tablet only to have to tweak and twist it to something I enjoy using. There are plenty of options out there with iOS, Amazon's version, WP8 - try them out and see which one you like. They are all unique OSes and each has pros and cons. Android definitely has something to offer, but I think the over-customization and the abundance of OSes that "just work" are why you see only about 50% of android users stay with android.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Steve jobs would never have allowed this to happen

He would have had bezos killed by his secret ninja assassins a long time ago

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Some people here are nuts. Amazon is offering magic at such a low price point and people are dismissing it.

This could cause apple to drop the iPads price big time since it shows good tech can be had at a much lower price point.

Apple will not react this at all. They've already got their plans setup.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Those aren't Amazon innovations though. Anyone that buys the proper OMAP processor or Qualcomm parts will get that same "innovation'

MIMO Wifi ....rather have 802.11ac instead.

The word innovation is abused here. If you're buying off the shelf parts it's not your innovation its your OEMs.

So will you go on record to say Apple doesn't innovate? I mean based off your own criteria..

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Read the specs... it is the first tablet to offer dual WiFi antennas with MIMO.
Uses the new TI OMAP 4 cpu, which is faster than the Tegra 3.
It's also running a custom build of Android 4 (ICS), so the graphics issues are a thing of the past.

Waiting for the full hands on revue from The Verge.
Their first impression are positive.

Again, specs DO NOT MATTER. It's what the specs DO that matter. Two antennas aren't going to make my movies look any better than they already do. It's not something you or I or anyone will NOTICE.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Cheaper =/= Better. One of my favorite quotes: Good things cost good money! :D

And there's no way a Fire HD could hold a candle to my iPad. Why? THE APPS. My iPad is so much more useful, in the classroom, at work (Citrix is supposedly sluggish on Fire), for photography (screen advantage: iPad), then the Fire could hope to be (for now), even with a data plan.

LOL

Citrix is supposedly sluggish on Fire. So you haven't used it? Is that why your iPad is so much more useful? Because if you haven't used a Fire or other apps for it - you can't possibly state that it can't hold a candle.

If you want to state you love your iPad - that's one thing. But making a baseless comparison weakens your integrity.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
As was beaten to death here ages ago, the Apple Mini isn't a 7"er, it's an 8". "40% more area blah blah blah". And that's a lot closer to the bigger Fire than the smaller Fire.

The objectors are correct - 768p at that size is going to look a whole lot worse than the Fire - and that's before accounting for price.

Actually,

8.9 - 7.85 = 1.05.
7.85 - 7 = 0.85.

It is in fact closer in size to the smaller Kindle than the HD.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
"but details on differences from the 8.9-inch model such as screen resolution are not yet clear"

The 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD has the higher resolution. It states right in the article that the smaller Fire HD did not divulge their resolution. I doubt seriously that boh the 8.9 and 7 inch Fire tablets will sport the same higher resolution. I would bet that the 7 inch version is far closer to the 1024x768 you think the iPad Mini might...might...have.
The 7" is 1024×600
The 7" HD is 1280×800
The 8.9" HD is 1920×1200

Again, specs DO NOT MATTER. It's what the specs DO that matter. Two antennas aren't going to make my movies look any better than they already do. It's not something you or I or anyone will NOTICE.
You and I will notice the difference between a device with MIMO and one without.
MIMO = less/no video streaming lag. Faster downloads.
It can source two different data connections to provide a more reliable user experience. No other tablet offers this... not even the iPad.

Here's the comparison chart The Verge just put together.

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/6092/5343/5263/5273/5799

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
I hope the Mini iPad Follows Price Points!

I would pay $199 for an 8GB mini iPad! if it's any more than that I'm not buying!

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I'm going to play Hater On Amazon right now:

This thing is simply a bigger Fire. The most innovative thing (if you can call it that) about this thing is the cheap LTE plan! Amazon seemed to market the hell out the of the specs, which didn't really translate into noticeable benefits for the consumer. Who will actually notice that their new fire has two smart-switching antennas? Did the old Fire have an issue streaming stuff? I'm guessing no, so...as long as you can stream a video without noticeable buffering pauses, WHO WILL CARE?

This is the same Amazon front-end it has always been. Which is the point, I know, but still...I was hoping for a more ferocious competitior to the iPad.

/Hater

I can't wait to see this thing in action!

Also: for those wondering as to the carrier, that LTE logo that was used is same as AT&T, IIRC...which is to say that it exists in its current state for like 20 markets or some ****.

I mustve read a gazillion posts on MR about how ****ing awesome Apple was when they did their dual antenna thing. But i know... speccs are only cool when Apple tout them.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008

David Sharpe

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
wow, just wow. 1920x1200; and apple is going to release the ipad mini with 1024x768???

LOL. Sad.:apple:

iPad resolution is 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi). So close but iPad still on top.

The 7" is 1024×600
The 7" HD is 1280×800
The 8.9" HD is 1920×1200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.