Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
iDrive Through

I can see that Apple is speeding up the progress of its new iDrive Through service for September 12. Jony just needs to make a few tweaks and we will be good to go.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My guess is they were after the one-of-a-kind giant, novelty Retina MacBook Pro.

:D

That probably would have more resale value than any of the stuff they ended up stealing.

Isn't there a remote kill switch that they can enable once the stolen S/Ns are hooked up to the internet?

We had some iMacs stolen from our school, and we called Apple to see if they could be located or remotely killed. Apple said they didn't have that ability. As for iDevices, it might be a different story.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Those things are ugly and you cannot put them in if your store is on the street or in some malls.

There are lots of good looking car stop barriers.

And why would you need them in a mall? Do you expect to see many cars come barreling into a 2nd story mall Apple store.

These barriers are to stop EXACTLY what occurred...someone ramming a car into a store either intentionally or unintentionally (accident/health condition while driving).

And yes you can put them in on sidewalks and stores that are on the street. Lots of stores have them.

Like I said, guaranteed Apple will 'rethink' this and you'll see some of these things going into more high risk neighborhood Apple stores

----------

We had some iMacs stolen from our school, and we called Apple to see if they could be located or remotely killed. Apple said they didn't have that ability. As for iDevices, it might be a different story.

Even though they say that, I don't believe it.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
I don't know why Apple can't remotely brick their goods, they would know the identifiers. Why not have a service where owners of a stolen iPhone/iPod/iPad can just brick it... No point stealing something thats worthless...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

There is iCloud now, although I don't know if Apple configures these stores Mac with that. That said, there's nothing on them Apple cares about, and they probably just take the insurance write-off and don't worry about recovering them. If someone brought one of those in for repair, I bet it'd be noticed, though.

jW

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Cannot believe these Apple stores do not have car stop barriers (giant metal/granite poles that stop cars from going into store fronts)?

Agreed. We have 18" thick granite pillars sunk 4' deep into cribbing as our gate posts. 5' sticks out of the ground. Vehicles can't go through the posts. Three trucks have tried, one was a big concrete truck. Apple could have some very classy stone pillars outside their stores which would stop vehicles totally and look great.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Insurance isn't free or cheap.

What has that got to do with anything? Its not free, or cheap, but neccesary.

----------

Personally, I don't mind those comments. They're made for humorous purposes and I have a sense of humor so I appreciate them. Maybe you should grow a sense of humor so that you too can have fun on this site.

You must cant wait to open every new thread just to see the same comments on every first page. Like a kid in candy shop. God its funny!!

I found it funny the first few times and but its well overdone. Time for real humour now.......

Next.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
And when caught they will likely try and sue Apple for having a window that was too clear and claim they didn't see it. ;)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
If you look at the glass panels, they are intact for the most part. Obviously smashed, but the laminate did it's job.

I wonder what vehicle was used? Maybe a 3/4 or 1 Ton 4X4 Pickup?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
There are lots of good looking car stop barriers.

And why would you need them in a mall? Do you expect to see many cars come barreling into a 2nd story mall Apple store.

These barriers are to stop EXACTLY what occurred...someone ramming a car into a store either intentionally or unintentionally (accident/health condition while driving).

And yes you can put them in on sidewalks and stores that are on the street. Lots of stores have them.

Like I said, guaranteed Apple will 'rethink' this and you'll see some of these things going into more high risk neighborhood Apple stores

----------

Even though they say that, I don't believe it.

There are several types of malls. This store was in a mall. So yes you would need it in a mall.

phillies262834

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Im sure they could use some sort of glass pillar that could be replaced easily if hit and could hold up to the force of a car.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I don't know why Apple can't remotely brick their goods, they would know the identifiers. Why not have a service where owners of a stolen iPhone/iPod/iPad can just brick it... No point stealing something thats worthless...

There is no remote shutdown for stolen Apple devices due to security. Yes it can be done technically, however getting the right shutdown codes would make its way to Apple haters on the next and they'll start running overseas servers to shutdown as many light Apple devices they can. Now tracing the MAC address is doable.

My joke on this. I see the trail run of Apple Store drive thurs need some work!

Yupper3D

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Cannot believe these Apple stores do not have car stop barriers (giant metal/granite poles that stop cars from going into store fronts)?

Guaranteed they will have them in front of the store by the time it reopens.

Best Buy has them in front of most of their stores.

Is this the Huntsville, AL store??

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Temecula PD epic fail, they have an office like 50 yards from this store, where were they?

Lol. That office closes around 9PM, when the mall closes. I'm sure they have security cameras and they probably WILL catch them unless they removed their license plate prior to the smash n' grab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.