Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Where does App Store store its downloads?

I downloaded the full version of OS X 10.8 (almost 5 GB) through App Store and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Where does Software Update store its downloads?

I downloaded OS X 10.8 through Software Update and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?

Assuming you mean the the Mac App Store, it goes into /Applications and is named "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" But once you have executed it to do the install the application will be deleted automatically. You need to save the application before doing the install or you need to download it again.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Upgrades to Mac OS X are not available through Software Updates; only updates are. To upgrade from an earlier version of Mac OS X to 10.8, you have to buy 10.8 from the Mac App Store.
You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.

And you were told: Applications. No special hidden folder or anything. If you've already done the installation, however, it gets deleted. If you wanted to save it, you have to move or copy it before you install.

jW

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
That's funny I've installed 10.8 on my external drive and sd card and the icon never disappeared.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I downloaded it throughout the night onto my iMac that came already with OS X 10.8. This morning I found a window "Install OS X - To set up the installation of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click Continue." open on my desktop but I did not install anything; this window is still open now.

However, I do not find any downloaded OS X 10.8 file in Applications. And, strangely enough, in App Store under Purchases the item "OS X Mountain Lion" has again a dark grey Download button.

I guess this did not work as anticipated and Big Brother has deleted the file already ...

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I downloaded it throughout the night onto my iMac that came already with OS X 10.8. This morning I found a window "Install OS X - To set up the installation of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click Continue." open on my desktop but I did not install anything; this window is still open now.

However, I do not find any downloaded OS X 10.8 file in Applications. And, strangely enough, in App Store under Purchases the item "OS X Mountain Lion" has again a dark grey Download button.

I guess this did not work as anticipated and Big Brother has deleted the file already ...

no you need to quit that window that says continue than it will be in your applications folder

no big brother tricks

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
With the second try it worked. "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" showed up in Applications right after the download was finished and before I did anything else with App Store or the installation window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.