Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Cannot believe these Apple stores do not have car stop barriers (giant metal/granite poles that stop cars from going into store fronts)?

Guaranteed they will have them in front of the store by the time it reopens.

Best Buy has them in front of most of their stores.

----------

I feel dumb. I thought those barriers were to protect pedestrians. :/ But now it's clear. Lol *Facepalm.*

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Those things are ugly and you cannot put them in if your store is on the street or in some malls.

Not true. There's a lot of mafia villas in Italy that have them, but they're "disguised" as ornate statues or garden ornaments. Giant, car stopping ornaments.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Cannot believe these Apple stores do not have car stop barriers (giant metal/granite poles that stop cars from going into store fronts)?

Known as bollards, usually made of concrete. They are installed to protect pedestrians. They wouldn't do much to prevent drive-thru smash and grabs at BestBuy stores because they use a double storefront with a vestibule in between. Good luck driving through that. This is a feature that Apple stores conspicuously lack (or at least this one did).

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Agreed. We have 18" thick granite pillars sunk 4' deep into cribbing as our gate posts. 5' sticks out of the ground. Vehicles can't go through the posts. Three trucks have tried, one was a big concrete truck. Apple could have some very classy stone pillars outside their stores which would stop vehicles totally and look great.

People tried to crash your gate to steal your pigs?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Not getting old...

Yes it is.

stock-illustration-10413120-old-man-with-cane.jpg

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I wonder how much money these guys will make? Seriously, not a lot. They will have to spend months selling these demos as "used" one at a time on eBay. So what do they get a few hundred dollars a month? Likely they get caught too

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Agreed. We have 18" thick granite pillars sunk 4' deep into cribbing as our gate posts. 5' sticks out of the ground. Vehicles can't go through the posts. Three trucks have tried, one was a big concrete truck. Apple could have some very classy stone pillars outside their stores which would stop vehicles totally and look great.

I bet insurance is cheaper than installing huge expensive pillars. It is not just the cost of the pillars but also the sidewalk would need to be made larger as I'm sure they have rules about how much space must remain clear. Better to simply pay the insurance bills. The loss here is not a lot

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
We had some iMacs stolen from our school, and we called Apple to see if they could be located or remotely killed. Apple said they didn't have that ability. As for iDevices, it might be a different story.

You can set up a firmware password on a Mac, and without that password, the Mac is unusable. But you can't do it once the Mac is gone. And it doesn't stop thieves from stealing your items, because the thieves don't know this. It only stops them from profitting from the stolen goods.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
No wonder they're resorting to theft to make money. They're stupid. I doubt they recovered much more than the cost of the vehicle damage because all they could get to were floor demos and accessories.

I'm going to assume the vehicle was stolen...

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
They make some that are power retractable.

That sounds awesome :/ Another poster mentioned that he had some. Not the retractable ones. However, he's already had several breach attempts this year.. I wonder what he does for a living? o_o

----------

There's a table full of ipads still in there. Why would the thieves leave that?

Time. If you get too greedy, you get caught. An extra ten seconds can mean the difference between freedom and jail.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I HATE those things. When I worked at best buy (16 years ago) sometimes we'd have to bring out stuff that wouldn't fit between them. I also used to run into them all the time, but that's cause I don't watch where I'm going.

A smart company would install the retractable kind of barriers and only raise them at night. Or have a covered pit in front of the store that they could raise or lower at night. Or a grate or plate that would collapse into a pit under the weight of a vehicle. Or one of those huge stone spheres that would come rolling out of the ceiling or poison darts that shoot out of the walls... Uuh, what was I on about?

----------

Why did they break into a store before all the new iOS gear is in stock?

Either they wanted on of those long display docking cables (I got one on a promo and it's great) or they are in the glass and metal grate repair business, or are just too stupid to know that once those boxes are plugged in, they are gonna report back to apple hq and give the perps up!

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
well well well

Looks like tons of OVER priced Macs will 'suddenly' appear on ebay and craigslist now or have "dropped off the back of a track" deal, who knows?

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
When I read this headline, my first thought was "OMG! Apple has a store in Temecula?!?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.