Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
That's it and if this were dumbing something down it would be in a menu and easier to get at. So not sure what you're getting at here.

Before I would click ONCE with the mouse in order to choose "File" and then select Empty Cache.

How is the new setting any better?

p.s.: Nevermind, they seem to really have moved it to "Develop"...doesn't really make a difference.

nethe3rd

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Before I would click ONCE with the mouse in order to choose "File" and then select Empty Cache.

p.s.: Nevermind, they seem to really have moved it to "Develop"...doesn't really make a difference.

I'm with you, BRLawyer. What no one has pointed out is that the "Develop" menu won't show up until you go into Safari's Preferences under the "Advanced" tab, and click the box at the bottom that says, "Show Develop menu in menu bar." Then, you can find the option in the drop down Develop menu that says, "Empty Caches."

Even better, it gives us the keyboard shortcut, "Option+Command E".

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Click on the Safari menu in the menu bar and click "Reset Safari". It will then prompt you for what you want to "Reset" or clear.

kurtmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Minnesota, USA
Develop Menu > Empty Caches issue

Click on the Safari menu in the menu bar and click "Reset Safari". It will then prompt you for what you want to "Reset" or clear.

Perhaps you should either update to version 6 for Safari or check the "Reset Safari" menu (or both). Their is not an "Empty Cache" option there.

I did try the "Develop" menu option to "Empty Caches", but upon checking the ~/Library/Cache/com.apple.Safari folder, it was registering 53MB. So that is not working either (though it does delete the custom icons for specific sites). What an annoyance this issue is! :confused:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Oops. :eek:

10 to 1 says some coder dozed off and just forgot it. Just like they removed "put back" in the trash menu a while back. (But god bless 'em... it only took 2 new OSX versions to see it returned. :eek:)

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Oops. :eek:

10 to 1 says some coder dozed off and just forgot it. Just like they removed "put back" in the trash menu a while back. (But god bless 'em... it only took 2 new OSX versions to see it returned. :eek:)

You seem to be putting a lot of faith on "involuntary oversights" lately - for me the direction is clear, and the BAD decisions are more than deliberate...let's just hope they read these comments and put the thing back into Safari 6 (a disaster in its own right, with missing spinning wheels, missing activity monitor and missing backspace).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Anyone who actually empties the cache in their browser is not going to have any trouble clicking a checkbox to show the Develop menu.

And it's still better than Chrome or Firefox, both of which require navigating multiple screens and checking/unchecking checkboxes every time you want to empty the cache.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You seem to be putting a lot of faith on "involuntary oversights" lately
I've been through too many OSX versions to think otherwise. I've seen it all. One must only ask... why would they intentionally remove it? After all, the very first thing any rookie tech support person tells you is to do when Safari acts up is to "empty the cache". And emptying the cache poses no risk to the user otherwise, I can see Apple removing yet another feature to protect us from ourselves.

Again, somebody simply goofed. OSX development is not this massive room in Cupertino filled with hundreds of coders working 12 hour shifts. Those days are over.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I absolutely love the expression "involuntary oversight".:D

What about "unnecessary redundancy"? :D

----------

I've been through too many OSX versions to think otherwise. I've seen it all. One must only ask... why would they intentionally remove it? After all, the very first thing any rookie tech support person tells you is to do when Safari acts up is to "empty the cache". And emptying the cache poses no risk to the user otherwise, I can see Apple removing yet another feature to protect us from ourselves.

Again, somebody simply goofed. OSX development is not this massive room in Cupertino filled with hundreds of coders working 12 hour shifts. Those days are over.

I could give you at least 10 instances of Apple decisions which ended in exactly the same kind of outcomes...not involuntary at all. :rolleyes:

Kaleb242

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Just one more reason not to upgrade to Mountain Lion...

This used to be something that Safari had right for a long time — it used to be the quickest and easiest to Empty Cache... using Safari > Empty Cache. :(

Removing this feature makes life harder for many people in tech support, web design, and communication with clients about their websites (it's much harder to explain how to Empty Cache now... there should be no barrier to this). :mad:

haggisman

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011

Click Preferences -> Advanced ->check the "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar" check box ... gives you a permanent drop-down menu for cache emptying etc. I like it actually - show page source is a function I use a lot and it's nice having all the geeky stuff grouped together within easy reach.

Scotty

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Just noticed that selecting "Disable Caches" still allows sites to store caches in Safari 6. Previous versions had a setting in preferences to not allow storage that actually worked.

If you empty all caches in Safari 6, then select "Disable Caches", just visit one website (such as macrumors.com) then check under preferences how many different web site caches are listed (Preferences>Privacy> Cookies and Website Data> Details).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.