Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2012nvidia-quadro-k5000-500x353.jpg

As noted by Engadget, NVIDIA has announced that the Quadro K5000 will be available for the Mac Pro later this year.

The Kepler-based design offers a professional-class GPU for the Mac. Features listed by NVIDIA include:

- Cinema 4K display support (4096x2160 resolution)
- A new display engine that can drive up to four displays simultaneously
- 4 GB graphics memory that provides faster interactivity when using design and content creation applications
- Based on NVIDIA Kepler architecture, which enables the Quadro K5000 GPU for Mac to run key content creation applications up to 2x faster at lower power than the Fermi-based Quadro 4000 for Mac(3)
- Support for up to two Quadro K5000 GPUs for Mac in a single Mac Pro
- Support for OpenGL, OpenCL and NVIDIA CUDA(TM)

NVIDIA describes the Quadro K5000 as ideal for professional applications such as video editing, color correction, compositing, design visualization and GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D rendering. Estimated pricing starts at $2,249 and availability later this year.

Article Link: NVIDIA Announces Quadro K5000 Professional GPU for Mac Pro

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Two thousand dollars, for a graphics card?

Is this a joke?

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the Quadro and Tesla lines. They are not designed for gaming or typical use. It's not really cheap to anyone. It's just one of those things where if you need it, you're probably quite aware of it.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Will nvidia support with driver updates & support in general or do they just want our couple of grands?

it's been a serious issue for professionals with quadro cards for a long time.

Seraph301083

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
this is a normal price point for a high end workstation graphics card
the quadro 5000 on my win 7 workstation was about 2500$

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Two thousand dollars, for a graphics card?

Is this a joke?

On the contrary, for the people this is aimed at (video editors, colourists, 3D graphics), $2000 is cheap and represents a minor investment in a room that could have $20,000 or hardware and software.

It's a fact of life - they aren't looking to sell millions of these, perhaps 10's of 1000's at the most so its simple economics.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I thought Mountain Lion has driver support for "non-Mac" graphics cards? I definitely know that the GTX 560 Ti is supported; asides from no EFI screen, it works like a charm on my Mac.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
Still waiting for my Quadro 4000 to show it's usefulness, might as well get three iMacs for the money I wasted on this Mac Pro. Motion, AE, Final cut and Premiere run smoother and more reliable on my 17MBP. And its a lot nicer to my electrical bill.

New cards are great but the whole architecture of the Mac Pro needs to be updated from 2004 to 2012 tech before it is actually useful. Besides with Apple still deciding how I should work and what is important, jumping back to windows for video and visuals might be a better option then wasting more money on poorly supported hardware.

Not sure I can face the horror of popups I left behind a few years ago.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
4 GB VRAM.
LOL: Maybe this card would handle X-Plane 10 at max settings. :p

OTOH, the pro-cards are not the best gaming cards. But, 4 GB of VRAM does help X-Plane 10!

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
On the contrary, for the people this is aimed at (video editors, colourists, 3D graphics), $2000 is cheap and represents a minor investment in a room that could have $20,000 or hardware and software.

It's a fact of life - they aren't looking to sell millions of these, perhaps 10's of 1000's at the most so its simple economics.

Thank you for the correction.

----------

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the Quadro and Tesla lines. They are not designed for gaming or typical use. It's not really cheap to anyone. It's just one of those things where if you need it, you're probably quite aware of it.

You are correct in your assumption. Thank you for your explanation.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Why can't Nvidia release another model of Quadro for the mac?......I don't get it, They would sell three times as many Quadros if they were at a cheaper price point, maybe more

Hell give people the choice of say 3 in the line. Makes me wonder if Apple simply don't want more then one Quadro option.

The Quadro series drivers for Mac never seem to be on par, performance wise with the PC ones.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Still waiting for my Quadro 4000 to show it's usefulness, might as well get three iMacs for the money I wasted on this Mac Pro. Motion, AE, Final cut and Premiere run smoother and more reliable on my 17MBP. And its a lot nicer to my electrical bill.

New cards are great but the whole architecture of the Mac Pro needs to be updated from 2004 to 2012 tech before it is actually useful. Besides with Apple still deciding how I should work and what is important, jumping back to windows for video and visuals might be a better option then wasting more money on poorly supported hardware.

What version is your Mac Pro?
I was thinking of getting the 4000, now maybe the 5000 to speed up the workflow in Premiere for my RED EPIC footage.

Other people I work with are very happy with the performance of the 4000 in Premiere

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Well stated. While I use a multitude of platforms, I've preferred OS X for over a decade. I am very saddened by Apple's focus on mobile devices while those of us who depend on Mac's for our living are left in the dust. This is not a "post-PC era", and while I love my iPhone and iPad, I cannot use them for HD rendering, AutoCAD, etc. and need desktop screen real estate. Apple has enough money in cash alone to cover both markets and make a profit. If 2013 is more of the same, I will have no recourse but to leave OS X.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Between phones, computers, razors, and car transmissions, the term "quad" has been beaten to death.

Sweet graphics card, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.