Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In mid-July, Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed that Apple has been undertaking a significant redesign of the iPod nano, moving to an oblong form factor with a larger, rectangular screen and a home button. As shown in a rough rendering accompanying the post, the changes would make the iPod nano appear more like a smaller version of the iPod touch, although it would presumably not run a full version of iOS.

Reports of a revamped iPod nano have continued to surface since that time, with Mac Otakara also adding fresh claims that the new iPod nano will include Wi-Fi capabilities in order to support iTunes in the Cloud.

[Image removed upon request]

Case manufacturers are now getting into the act, and if their designs are based on legitimate leaked design information, it does appear that Apple is planning for an iPod nano redesign in line with recent rumors. The case designs come from an Italian accessory manufacturer and include both silicone and crystal cases. The new cases are not yet available on the vendor's site, but the company is advertising them to third-party retailers.

The new iPod nano form factor appears reminiscent of the iPod mini, although rumors indicate the front will carry a large screen and home button rather than the smaller screen and click wheel of the iPod mini. Openings along the left edge of the case suggest that the new iPod nano will have some external controls such as volume buttons in the same location as seen on Apple's iOS devices. A pair of small holes are also present at the bottom center of each of the cases, and it is unclear whether these are for a speaker or some other feature of the device.

The vendor is also offering silicone and crystal cases for the new iPod touch, and the designs are in line with previously-seen cases. Like previous cases and in line with rumors, these new iPod touch cases contain a round hole in the lower left corner of the back, and it is unclear exactly what this feature is intended to accommodate.

Update 12:18 PM: Images removed.

Article Link: Case Manufacturers Ramping Up for Radically Redesigned iPod Nano, Updated iPod Touch

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
My fingers are crossed for a new iPod Touch. I want an up-to-date iOS product but I can't afford an iPhone.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
iPod Nano is doubled in size? And no longer suitable as a wrist device (which Apple promoted at the last event)?

I call BS.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
If they do update the iPod touch, I'm going to buy it the second the Apple Store web page is back up.

Apple, shut up and take my money!

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
If its the same price as the current nano, having an iPod nano with WiFi would make a great living room/kitchen/bathroom iPod.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Boy, that "iPod Touch" case look a lot like the "iPhone 5" leaks we've seen?

Let the "We've seen the iPod Touch, not the iPhone 5" speculation begin...

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Boy, that "iPod Touch" case look a lot like the "iPhone 5" leaks we've seen?

Let the "We've seen the iPod Touch, not the iPhone 5" speculation begin...
No. I don't recall a single iPhone design that we've seen showing the "mysterious hole" in the lower left corner of the back, but that's been shown on a number of Touch mock ups.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Typical Apple... Their designs have come full-circle once more!

Come to think of it, why not just call it the iPod Mini? Makes sense since we already have a Mac Mini and a supposed iPad Mini.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
nano like the other nano with a scroll wheel, but entirely touch screen w/ home button.

apple couldn't keep the form factor of the "wristwatch" nano, because they wouldn't be able to include wireless/bluetooth technology.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Nano's potential

In smaller and less developed countries the nano has so much potential (if done properly). This is just an opinion, but WIFI and free itunes match for nano users, 16 gb memory, 2 or 3 mp video camera, remote for any Mac.. 80€. perfect.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I'm starting to wonder if that hole in the back of the Touch could be a speaker, the new design might be to thin for the speaker to be in the same position as the current Touch, this would put the speaker in close to the same position as the speaker on the iPad 2 & 3 I also don't think it's impossible for Apple to keep the current generation iPod Nano as a low cost option.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
May just be me, but the first and second case in that pic look, or reminded me of, the Nokia Lumia 900 phone? Especially in the second one. Obviously the nano won't be the size of the Nokia. Those rounded bottom corners are what caught my eye.

puro_ipod_nano_case_2-500x342.jpg

nokia-lumia-900-blue.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.