Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Hello. I would like to use my mac as a WOD server/host if possible? Im pretty sure this is possible as i found a guide ages ago. However, now i actually want to try it i cant find this guide! haha.

Basically i want to use my desktop to share drives (eventually a raid setup) and act as a host for apples WOD service for all other devices on the network (as opposed to buying an apple router or time capsule). I don't need help as far as the file sharing goes as thats set up and running great.

So could someone please point me in the right direction or give any advice.

Cheers,
Chris.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

at the top it explains what you need and about halfway down the page it shows how to set it up. i just set my parents Mac Mini up a few days ago because we are going on vacation in a few days. I went to my cousins and tested it and it did work. the key i think is that you need an airport base station which i didnt realize. this makes sense because i was never able to set it up until we bought an airport extreme. then if you plug the drives into the back of the computer when you see the mac in the sidebar of finder click it, log in and the drives should appear. hope that helps a little.

EDIT: i see you didnt want the airport haha. are the drives USB?

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
haha

Nah the drives are internal ones.
Im talking about running bonjour sleep proxy on my desktop, instead of buying an airport to run it.

Thanks,
Chris.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
haha

Nah the drives are internal ones.
Im talking about running bonjour sleep proxy on my desktop, instead of buying an airport to run it.

Thanks,
Chris.

Wikipedia says this:
Computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard act as a Bonjour sleep proxy server when Internet sharing is enabled.[5]

Should work with any later OSX as well.

eNJayBe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I've found that it no longer works in Mountain Lion.

I use my Mac for iTunes content on my Apple TV, it no longer wakes up since the upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Yes i am also sharing files in system prefs.

No worky in ML? :(

There MUST be a solution. Apple open sourced it for ****s sake haha. Im surprised there isn't apparent native support, and even more surprised no one has taken the code and made it into an app or whatever.

Doing my head in this one lads lol. There has to be an option other than buying an apple router?!

Chris.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Have you had a look at this?

Yes. That seems very complicated and i didn't want to try it. I have seen a much easier looking method but i cant find it anywhere. I guess i'll just try that if no one can help. Im surprised others don't use this.

zinspace

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Yes. That seems very complicated and i didn't want to try it. I have seen a much easier looking method but i cant find it anywhere. I guess i'll just try that if no one can help. Im surprised others don't use this.

I'm curious if you were able to solve this. I have a new mac mini which apparently has the "network interface hardware that includes its own built-in Sleep Proxy" referred to here http://stuartcheshire.org/SleepProxy/. I can wake it with my iPad without any other Bonjour device on the network (no airport) which is great. But I don't know if the SLEEPING mini will act as a Bonjour server for other devices on the network. In other words, will another device register a Bonjour service with the mini like it would with an airport and would that service remain active on the network when the mini was asleep? A lot to ask I guess, but like you I am trying to avoid replacing a perfectly good router with an airport.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.