Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It has been interesting to watch the capacity and pricing of above consumer graphics cards for the past 10-15 years. This slight blip up in price seems to reflect not only high capacity, speed, and power savings, leading edge features, but reduced yields and market size so the development cost is spread among fewer users. One of the consequences of shrinking and dumbing down end user devices I suppose.

I was hoping the article was about a GPU processor as a standalone process server. Oh well, I guess we aren't there yet.

HDMI plugs support 4K, so it is a matter of displays arriving later next year at a prosumer price and a year or two after that at a consumer price. I have posted to another thread I suspect AppleTV Screen will debut at 4K and they will call it retina.

As for this unit, 4xHD all at once and the ability to install two cards in a single MacPro, so 8xHD would be great for a TV channel control center or an editing suite or a bar or office where you need to display content on multiple screens with differing feeds.

The dumb content replay or relay is fine, but the data intensive stuff like stock charting and such will be interesting.

Rocketman

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Well stated. While I use a multitude of platforms, I've preferred OS X for over a decade. I am very saddened by Apple's focus on mobile devices while those of us who depend on Mac's for our living are left in the dust. This is not a "post-PC era", and while I love my iPhone and iPad, I cannot use them for HD rendering, AutoCAD, etc. and need desktop screen real estate. Apple has enough money in cash alone to cover both markets and make a profit. If 2013 is more of the same, I will have no recourse but to leave OS X.

I agree with what you are saying totally, we are left behind and Apple are so focusing on IOS they have left us to wither on the vine. It's a shame they have shafted the people who supported them from the early days, but I can see that as a business they are after the consumer market place and rightly so.. But did they have to do it in such a crap awful way? I like many who use Mac for editing and post production have limited time left with Mac, so Windows seems the only alternative for that in the future. Not a choice I was expecting when I invested so much with Mac some years ago. Shame on Apple.

SolarisBSDman

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012

Nice to see Apple investing a bit to get a updated Quadro card to OSX but will there be any dedicated drivers for CAD/MCAE ? this was the issue with the 4000 and therefore may features in pro tools did not work.
Also Let's hope with the introduction of a new Mac Pro we might have new Cinema Displays? The current one is absolute only for consumers not pro users and any way we might see an apple 4K 30" :p , I have my eye on a set of Eizo FDH3601but at a price of 25K Euro it's not really value for money.
Also the hope that Apple TeleVision set's will be 4K is not that realistic, there is only minimum content available. and Transport of H264/4K is a nightmare. I have installed several Cisco Telepresence systems which use several Sharp 80" 4K screens and a 1GbE pipe is just sufficient to carry a single duplex stream,

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Two thousand dollars, for a graphics card?

Is this a joke?

Come work as a motion graphics artist...you'll see really quickly time is $$$ and these things pay for themselves in a job or two (or even part of a job).

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
Mid 2010 12core with 32GB memory, Performance of the 4000 is pretty good but not the big jump you would expect from a $6.5K dedicated system. For most edits I can use my 17MBP and get almost the same speeds.

Sure playback quality is not always 100% but it is pretty damn close and good enough for cutting. Even on the MacPro I need to render more complex timelines. The MBP get's me decent multi layer project speeds with a thunderbolt drive. With Resolume it let's me play 12 layers of real time fullHD for VJ fun.

On the Mac Pro I would have to go fibre to edit multi layer RED projects, but because most is DVCPro HD100 / XDCAM I'll wait before throwing more money at a platform with a dubious future. Right now I use a SSD for RED or RAW footage, it's a bit of copying back and forth but works out.

Compared to the ATi card that came with the system the Quadro 4000 was a bit dissapointing, I was expecting real-time heaven in all CUDA apps.

What version is your Mac Pro?
I was thinking of getting the 4000, now maybe the 5000 to speed up the workflow in Premiere for my RED EPIC footage.

Other people I work with are very happy with the performance of the 4000 in Premiere

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
Same here, also switched completely to OSX about 10 years ago, from microsoft certified to apple fanboi to mildly dissapointed computer user. Interesting to see what Windows 8 is going to bring us. With Adobe being multi platform I'm looking at learning a full creative suite workflow and perhaps back to AVID. Next year FCPS is going to be a really old beast, FCPX shows how fast they could have made it but where too busy with eye candy, being Xciting and innovative to produce a usable successor.

It's the same old story: Even if it can do 90% of FCPS, when most of the work you do needs the other 10% as well it doesn't matter how innovating or n00ber friendly the product is. I don't mind learning new stuff, even after 28 years it is still fun to look at all the new possibilities. But it also has to deliver what the customer wants, and not what apple thinks is important (hipster proof) right now. Planning on doing this for at least another 30 years and want it to be a happy experience.

So yep, 2013 is the cut off date, Premiere is just going to get better and got myself a copy of AVID MC5.5 just to re-learn some of the old stuff in case premiere doesn't get me all the things I want asap :p (although avid is a slap in the face, it feels like an antique, even the 6.0 version has a dated interface)

I want the FCPX speed and FCP7 workflow, without background rendering or Prores conversions unless I want them.

"Hi I'm a user, I bought my computer to have fun and work on cool projects… you know do the stuff i love to do the way I want them to"

"Hi, I'm a Apple app maker, we know how you should work, we figured out some really cool and fun ways for you to be creative and use your unlimited imagination, see? We made you 30 cool templates so you can be totally different then all the other 40 million users. We even let you adjust some parameters in those templates so you can change the colors!"

Anyway, Quadro K5000… hope it comes with a shiny new Mac Pro ultracore and Final Cut 11 in a few months!

Well stated. While I use a multitude of platforms, I've preferred OS X for over a decade. I am very saddened by Apple's focus on mobile devices while those of us who depend on Mac's for our living are left in the dust. This is not a "post-PC era", and while I love my iPhone and iPad, I cannot use them for HD rendering, AutoCAD, etc. and need desktop screen real estate. Apple has enough money in cash alone to cover both markets and make a profit. If 2013 is more of the same, I will have no recourse but to leave OS X.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Anybody find it odd that they can make native drivers for this card but seem to not be able to make native drivers for their newest normal graphics cards ?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Why would Apple make a screen at that resolution when they don't produce a video card that can drive it? If it only works with a third-party card chances are you'd need a third-party screen.

It is my understanding that this card supports real time editing on footage of that resolution. It would be weird to see a Quadro card just now support 4K resolution when Ivy Bridge integrated graphics technically support screens of that resolution.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Also the hope that Apple TeleVision set's will be 4K is not that realistic, there is only minimum content available. and Transport of H264/4K is a nightmare. I have installed several Cisco Telepresence systems which use several Sharp 80" 4K screens and a 1GbE pipe is just sufficient to carry a single duplex stream,
Thunderbolt is that hope.

Digital theatrical release is 4K now. It would be trivial to rent those files to prosumers at a wild price.

4K 4096p
rMBP is about 2880p
So 4K is only about 42% wider @ 220ppi
Roughly 20" diagonal so a low end iMac could offer 4k.

I think my living room HDTV is about 22 ppi or so.
It looks like your Sharp 80" 4K is around 52 ppi.

Rocketman

Last edited:

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
BAM
just ordered, I'm a serious gamer (minecraft, simcity, mario kart BAM) so can't wait for speed boost.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Does Nvidia know something we don't? Why would they bother porting a new Quadro to a platform if most signs point to Apple abandoning the Mac Pro? Fingers crossed...

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
BAM
just ordered, I'm a serious gamer (minecraft, simcity, mario kart BAM) so can't wait for speed boost.

Performance for gaming is likely to be inferior to a GTX 680.
The Quadro series cards have drivers tweaked for high end CG applications, such as Maya, NUKe, Houdini etc.

NVidia have been busy.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Performance for gaming is likely to be inferior to a GTX 680.
The Quadro series cards have drivers tweaked for high end CG applications, such as Maya, NUKe, Houdini etc.

NVidia have been busy.

I think he was being sarcastic in terms of a serious gamer (if you look at the games he listed).

foijord

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Norway
Anyone know if you're stuck with Apple's OpenGL driver, or does the MacPro come with an NVIDIA driver for this card? It would be a shame to have a K5000 and be stuck with OpenGL 3.2, and no compute shader, tessellation shader etc.

----------

BAM

Excellent trolling, made me lol :)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
OTOH, the pro-cards are not the best gaming cards. But, 4 GB of VRAM does help X-Plane 10!

Not really VRAM is not the problem with X-Plane, it needs processor power. With max setting, x-plane never uses more than 1.5GB of Vram.

foijord

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Norway
Anyone know if you're stuck with Apple's OpenGL driver, or does the MacPro come with an NVIDIA driver for this card? It would be a shame to have a K5000 and be stuck with OpenGL 3.2, and no compute shader, tessellation shader etc.

Never mind, it says on nvidia.com that OpenGL version is 3.2 on Mac, 4.3 on Windows with bootcamp... that's no good!

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt

You don't make a card with a TB port. You make a case that the card can plug into.

Though this has 3 slots...wish they had a 2 or 1 slot option. (and PCI3)

Since Thunderbolt is only PCIe 2.0, and only 4 lanes per connector, it's not a loss.

The case provides two PCIe 2.0 x8 slots and one x4 slot, so they're already multiplexing bandwidth to more than Thunderbolt provides. (One of the x8 slots is physically a x16, so you can put a video card in one slot. And if you use the x4 slot, the second x8 slot drops to x4.)

Finally, the chassis only provides slot power to the tune of 75 Watts. For a video card, you'd need to provide extra power to the power ports on the card somehow independent of the expansion chassis. (It does provide two Molex connectors, but those likely aren't rated to provide the kind of power a high-end video card would need.)

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
HDMI plugs support 4K, so it is a matter of displays arriving later next year at a prosumer price and a year or two after that at a consumer price. I have posted to another thread I suspect AppleTV Screen will debut at 4K and they will call it retina.

And in the TV and projector realm, 4k is already here. Heck, there are already 8k prototypes at the convention shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.