Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
The old Comcast modem I had for years started having problems so Comcast came out and gave me their new one. The new modem has WiFi built in but I didn't see a point for this since I need the Time Capsule for the hard drive and drives connected to it. I asked the guy who installed Comcast to disable the WiFi and he said he couldn't.

Anyway, right now the new modem is running with WiFi on and Time Capsule is connected to it with WiFi for the network. The Time Capsule indicator light blinks yellow and says Double NAT. Just curious what this means and if it is bad. Also, does anyone know if this is a bad way to setup a network and if there are any good workarounds? Can you disable the WiFi and router functions of the new modem so it is just a modem? Thanks for any input.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I find it strange the Xfinity wifi connot be disabled. It will cause radio interference with your TC. But in any case, if you don't want a double NAT just connect in bridge mode in the TC. But this will disable guest networking.

I have my TC connected via static IP to my FiOS router and connected with DHCP and NAT. Airport utility complains about double NAT, but I ignore it. All is working just fine so don't be overly concerned with double NAT. I require guest networking so its fine.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The guy was talking garbage...Just access the web interface:
If you want to turn off the wifi component of the Xfinity box you should be able to do it through the web admin interface. You should have the guide to access the admin interface in the paperwork that came with the brand and style of modem/router you own. This would be an ip address like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.135. The password should be included in your documentation, or the default should be available from a Comtasctic rep over the phone

Comcast CS is not the greatest.

pdubbbs

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I have xfinity and declined their modem because I have a Time Capsule as well and had a feeling this would have been a problem. If you're paying the $7/mo for it, I'd highly suggest buying your own modem. I picked up a Motorola SB6121 for $83, so it'll pay for itself in a year. It works great with the Time Capsule.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
If you want to turn off the wifi component of the Xfinity box you should be able to do it through the web admin interface. You should have the guide to access the admin interface in the paperwork that came with the brand and style of modem/router you own. This would be an ip address like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.135. The password should be included in your documentation, or the default should be available from a Comtasctic rep over the phone

Comcast CS is not the greatest.

This^^^

Or buy your own modem and save $5 a month/$60 a year. I bought my modem 3 years ago for $60.

Edit:

I have xfinity and declined their modem because I have a Time Capsule as well and had a feeling this would have been a problem. If you're paying the $7/mo for it, I'd highly suggest buying your own modem. I picked up a Motorola SB6121 for $83, so it'll pay for itself in a year. It works great with the Time Capsule.
It's $7 a month now?!?!?!

OP do what i did and this guy did, buy your own, it's worth it!

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I find it strange the Xfinity wifi connot be disabled. It will cause radio interference with your TC. But in any case, if you don't want a double NAT just connect in bridge mode in the TC. But this will disable guest networking.

I don't really mind it in double NAT, although I don't really know what it actually means or if it's bad. I do need guest network so I don't believe that bridge mode will do the trick. The modem and Time Capsule are about three feet apart and I immediately thought this would be a problem (bandwidth, interference) but honestly I have seen anything wrong yet.

I'll look into this. I don't think I have any type of guide or anything that he gave me. I'm sure that there is a way to disable the WiFi and router function in the modem but maybe it's against the employee rules or something.

If I were to do this I assume I would have to be connected directly to the network that the modem creates and not the Time Capsule network?

OP do what i did and this guy did, buy your own, it's worth it!

Is there any easy place to buy modems or is it all online? Also this new modem they gave me really seems to work better than the older one. I am seeing actual download speeds a lot faster.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there any easy place to buy modems or is it all online? Also this new modem they gave me really seems to work better than the older one. I am seeing actual download speeds a lot faster.

I noticed they carry them at Best Buy now if you don't want to order online.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I noticed they carry them at Best Buy now if you don't want to order online.

I'll look into but I'd like to figure out if I can disable the Wi-Fi the one I already have before I buy a new one. I am going to try what an earlier poster said but just haven't had time yet. Thanks guys.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
So I looked into this more, I don't really want to buy my own modem right now. Will getting the new Xfinity modem put in bridge mode solve the double NAT thing? Also is bridge mode that same as turning off WiFi? Thanks guys.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I looked into this more, I don't really want to buy my own modem right now. Will getting the new Xfinity modem put in bridge mode solve the double NAT thing? Also is bridge mode that same as turning off WiFi? Thanks guys.

Yes, putting the modem in bridge mode would fix double NAT errors. Bridge mode is not the same thing as turning off wifi, but is has the same effect. If the Xfinity mode/router is in bridge mode it can't be used to distribute wifi. It would just pass everything through to the Time Capsule.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Yes, putting the modem in bridge mode would fix double NAT errors. Bridge mode is not the same thing as turning off wifi, but is has the same effect. If the Xfinity mode/router is in bridge mode it can't be used to distribute wifi. It would just pass everything through to the Time Capsule.

That is probably my easiest option then. I was looking on Comcast forums and some people said Comcast was able to do this for them. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.