Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What phone do you currently have?

• Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have the 4S.

Votes: 180 38.7%
  • Yes I'm upgrading I currently have the 4.

Votes: 193 41.5%
  • Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have the 3GS.

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have __other__ (Android, BB, Windows, etc)

Votes: 60 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
I'm about 90% sure I'll upgrade. LTE is a big plus for me, without it, i'm thinking of the SGIII. I'll have to wait and see though.

I have the 1st gen HTC Droid Incredible. While it still works, I need a change.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
And you're saying all of this without actually having held the phone and without knowing all that it can do? :rolleyes:
While there is always the possibility that the rumored form factor is not the one we are going to see, it seems to be the most likely one.

But setting that aside, if Apple gives us a larger display say 4.3" or larger that is of normal aspect ratio (wider & taller) then I'm in. I will buy it without hesitation and celebrate the fact that Apple came to their senses.

However they are deceiving the public by advertising a 4" display, which most people would assume is the same as any other 4" display being used. Only those of us who stay close to it, know that it's not the same as others, but rather a very narrow size.

The usefulness of what we've seen is very limited. If wider it would offer more room to work in landscape mode when composing messages, viewing the web and other functions a smartphone is designed to do.

This so called 4" display is a very poor compromise, just to make the claim they've increased the display size.

The rest of the phone is of little importance as I'm already _very happy_ with the OS, as well as all that my iPhone 4S can do for me.

If Apple gives us a proper (regular) 4.0" display like on my Galaxy S which is BOTH wider and taller, than it's going to be highly useful. Not as much as a 4.5" like on the new Nokia Lumia 920, and a host of Androids, but better than the half assed skinny and tall 4.0" we've seen.

Additional improvements will merely be extras.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
But setting that aside, if Apple gives us a larger display say 4.3" or larger that is of normal aspect ratio (wider & taller) then I'm in. I will buy it without hesitation and celebrate the fact that Apple came to their senses.

However they are deceiving the public by advertising a 4" display, which most people would assume is the same as any other 4" display being used. Only those of us who stay close to it, know that it's not the same as others, but rather a very narrow size.

The usefulness of what we've seen is very limited. If wider it would offer more room to work in landscape mode when composing messages, viewing the web and other functions a smartphone is designed to do.

This so called 4" display is a very poor compromise, just to make the claim they've increased the display size.

The rest of the phone is of little importance as I'm already _very happy_ with the OS, as well as all that my iPhone 4S can do for me.

If Apple gives us a proper (regular) 4.0" display like on my Galaxy S which is BOTH wider and taller, than it's going to be highly useful. Not as much as a 4.5" like on the new Nokia Lumia 920, and a host of Androids, but better than the half assed skinny and tall 4.0" we've seen.

Agree w/ the deception aspect, and I would also love a 4.3".

That being said: I think Apple is waiting out the "corded age." By keeping the width the same, and issuing connector-adapters, they've kept *most* docking stations and the like from becoming obsolete.

Given time, more people will move onto Bluetooth and wifi accessories, and I believe thats when we will see a display-width increase. I cant really think of any other reasons why they made this (supposed-as-of-yet) move. Good or arbitrary.

aerowave

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Chippenham, England, UK
I will be upgrading. I've been using a HTC 7 Mozart for the last year (and a HTC Desire before that) and as much as I liked WP7 and Android, I think iOS is for me. It's going to be a big upgrade from the last iPhone I had – a 3G!

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Yup, I'll be upgrading. I've sold my 4, been using a cheap POS flip, and will more than likely get the 5. This will be my first pre-order of an iPhone if so.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Ditto....if nothing else, gotta get LTE.

hi just wondering what you will use the LTE speed for?

----------

Agree w/ the deception aspect, and I would also love a 4.3".

That being said: I think Apple is waiting out the "corded age." By keeping the width the same, and issuing connector-adapters, they've kept *most* docking stations and the like from becoming obsolete.

Given time, more people will move onto Bluetooth and wifi accessories, and I believe thats when we will see a display-width increase. I cant really think of any other reasons why they made this (supposed-as-of-yet) move. Good or arbitrary.

dude they did the skinny 4inch the same reason apple do everything. Its better for their bottom line. If they could have got away with 3.5 again they would just think how much cash it would save them.

haphazard

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
I have the iPhone 4. My 2-year plan ends in December. I'll have to see how the iPhone 5 is before I make a decision, but I do have a vested interest in iOS 6.

I have an iMac, an AppleTV and an iPad so it only makes sense for me to get the iPhone 5 to link them all together. Getting an Android phone doesn't do me any good, even if the Samsung Galaxy S III is a very nice phone.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, I am upgrading. I have the 4S (got it on launch day). I'll be handing my 4S over to my daughter, who is currently on the 4 (off contract).

I'm either going to keep her unlocked 4 and use it as my "out of the country" phone, or sell it. Haven't decided yet. If I keep it, I will buy my 5 on contract. If I sell the 4, I will buy my 5 off contract so that it can be unlocked.

I have unlimited data, so that's a factor in the decision as well. I do feel that even if I buy off contract, eventually AT&T will get rid of unlimited data altogether.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
While there is always the possibility that the rumored form factor is not the one we are going to see, it seems to be the most likely one.

I don't think there's any deception intent by Apple. I think they honestly believe this is the best solution for customers and developers. Maybe this is a stepping stone for a bigger screen next year. But I think for right now, this will work for most people who prefer the current width. I am one of those.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
iPhone 3GS here. Not upgrading because:
1) it's working decently & had no problems
2) As a student, I don't find the necessity to have the latest piece of Apple tech since I'm not a heavy user
3) would rather save the money
4) even if current phone breaks down, I'm getting the 4S at a lower cost & can still enjoy the full benefits of iOS6.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

How exactly is it different than any other 4" display? What 4" smartphone are you comparing it to? From what I see, most smartphones use a 16:9 aspect ratio. Apple was actually the oddball and they are now joining the crowd. The Nokia Lumia seems to be another that's not 16:9....but 16:9 seems to be where everyone is going. So no...Apple is not deceiving anyone.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I sold my iphone 4 the other day so can't wait to upgrade to the new version, really miss using a iphone after a few days after going back to SE W960i

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't think there's any deception intent by Apple. I think they honestly believe this is the best solution for customers and developers. Maybe this is a stepping stone for a bigger screen next year. But I think for right now, this will work for most people who prefer the current width. I am one of those.

I don't disagree with you.

However by default, in advertising media, I do think that people who read it has a 4.0" display will automatically think of a conventional display that size, which in turn is deceiving.

I also understand those who prefer that size and have no argument with it. My predominate thought is why doesn't Apple offer two sizes. The original and one a step up with what is rapidly become the standard ... a 4.5" display.

That could be likened to their offering choices of MBA's and MBP's in a few sizes. While I completely understand the issue with developers and apps, that's not something that cannot be done. It may mean more work initially but so does anything new they are bringing to market.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
How exactly is it different than any other 4" display? What 4" smartphone are you comparing it to? From what I see, most smartphones use a 16:9 aspect ratio. Apple was actually the oddball and they are now joining the crowd. The Nokia Lumia seems to be another that's not 16:9....but 16:9 seems to be where everyone is going. So no...Apple is not deceiving anyone.
I'm not suggesting deception is intentional, but it's a by product of the long narrow display.

I have a Galaxy S, with it's 4.0" display.

When measuring the width of displays only, edge to edge (not the edge of the phone) the 4.0" display is a full 5mm wider than the iP4S display.

Holding the phone in the landscape position and typing an email, there is significantly more room (working area) to touch the screen, to place the cursor for example, than on the iPhone 4S. This makes quite a difference.

Then moving up to my Nexus with it's 4.65" display, even more room.

Finally, holding my Galaxy, S III with it's 4.8" display, the additional room is very significant.

The benefits when typing, viewing web pages, sending texts, taking notes, all of which I do in volume, are very significant.

Galaxy S v iPhone 4s
http://goo.gl/Tvir5

Galaxy SIII v iPhone 4S
http://goo.gl/yo1lV

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
So the Galaxy S is not 16:9 and was released in 2010 I believe. So it would make sense that it is wider than the iPhone 5.

Now, let's compare the iPhone 5 to a current gen model that you've listed, the Galaxy S III. Both models are 16:9 aspect ratios. Yes, that means the S III has a long skinny display as well. (The Galaxy Nexus is also 16:9) HOWEVER, the S III is a 4.8" screen. So when you compare a 4" 16:9 screen to a 4.8" 16:9 screen, you know you are getting less screen real estate.

Based on this I don't think there is ANY (even unintended) deception. The iPhone 5 screen is no more long and skinny than the Nexus or the S III. But it IS smaller as 4" at the same aspect ratio would obviously be.

The one thing I do more than anything else on my phone; more than browsing, more than texting, more than making calls, more than watching videos, IS carrying it in my pocket. So like many others (obviously not everyone) I prefer a smaller screen over a larger one.

Edit: There is room to argue that some consumers will be confused when they move from 4:3 screens to 16:9, but this argument would apply to every phone model that is switching aspect ratios, not just the iPhone.

Last edited:

Flux.Capacitor

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I'll most likely be upgrading from the 4S, but not till Dec at the earliest. I like the slightly bigger screen and the thinner form-factor. I'm confident it'll have a faster processor as well. I end up selling my 4S for about $200-$300 And pretty much break even on a new one.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
I will be upgrading from an ip4, but mostly because my current phone has crack in it near the headphone jack. I am more excited about a possible larger screen than anything else though.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
So the Galaxy S is not 16:9 and was released in 2010 I believe. So it would make sense that it is wider than the iPhone 5.

Now, let's compare the iPhone 5 to a current gen model that you've listed, the Galaxy S III. Both models are 16:9 aspect ratios. Yes, that means the S III has a long skinny display as well. (The Galaxy Nexus is also 16:9) HOWEVER, the S III is a 4.8" screen. So when you compare a 4" 16:9 screen to a 4.8" 16:9 screen, you know you are getting less screen real estate.

Based on this I don't think there is ANY (even unintended) deception. The iPhone 5 screen is no more long and skinny than the Nexus or the S III. But it IS smaller as 4" at the same aspect ratio would obviously be.

The one thing I do more than anything else on my phone; more than browsing, more than texting, more than making calls, more than watching videos, IS carrying it in my pocket. So like many others (obviously not everyone) I prefer a smaller screen over a larger one.
Respectfully you are missing the point.

And I am in NO way attempting to condemn Apple. It is, what it is.

I am simply stating what is factual data about the width of the 4.0" Apple display vs the average 4.0" display on other Smartphones.

Then if we move up to the even larger displays that are 16.9, like the S III we are discussing, it has a body width of 12mm and a display width of 10mm wider than the iPhone.

So once again, even though it's 16.9 and "long and skinny" if we chose to use that verbiage, it's still twice as big in the width.

Once you see these two side by side in the landscape mode it's mind boggling.

I'm on the road, otherwise I'd send a picture. This is being composed on my laptop and the phones I have taken along on this two week business trip, are the SGS III and the HTC One X.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Upgrading from 4S - I've had every model from 3G onwards. This time I'm out of contract, so it should be a freebie upgrade (and I get to recoup some cash by selling the 4S).

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Haven't decided yet if I will upgrade to the new iPhone or not. Until the announcement I'll continue to use my unlocked 4S.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Respectfully you are missing the point.

And I am in NO way attempting to condemn Apple. It is, what it is.

I am simply stating what is factual data about the width of the 4.0" Apple display vs the average 4.0" display on other Smartphones.

Then if we move up to the even larger displays that are 16.9, like the S III we are discussing, it has a body width of 12mm and a display width of 10mm wider than the iPhone.

So once again, even though it's 16.9 and "long and skinny" if we chose to use that verbiage, it's still twice as big in the width.

Once you see these two side by side in the landscape mode it's mind boggling.

I'm on the road, otherwise I'd send a picture. This is being composed on my laptop and the phones I have taken along on this two week business trip, are the SGS III and the HTC One X.

I'm not missing the point at all. You are concerned with the amount of real estate you have to work with on the device. But you are also making a generality that there is an "average 4" display" that is different than the iPhone 5 and I don't think that's the case. The only example you've given is a 2 year old device and I think the industry in general is moving to 16:9. I don't think the consumer will be deceived by a 4" 16:9 display vs a 4.8" 16:9 display. It's clear one is larger than the other.

The iPhone displays are 51mm wide, so a difference of even 12mm is nowhere near twice as large in width. To be twice as large it would need to be 102mm wide.

BTW, I don't need a picture, I'm 100% clear on all of what we are discussing. Nothing is mind boggling, it's all pretty simple math and I've seen tons of these screens. I have a couple of friends with large screen Android devices, including the S III. I've seen them side by side.

It's clear you prefer the larger screen and you've touted it's benefits. But I enjoy the smaller screen and the benefits you list are really not of great value to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.