Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That's a two USB cable solution. Some say that one cable will work, but it is not guaranteed.

I got the Apple DVD burner (Superdrive) off ebay new for $57 shipped. It is guaranteed to work.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
I'm still using my $15 refurb Asus external drive, works with 1 USB. Apple shouldn't be able to get away with highway robbery all the time.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As a frequent Amazon customer I get discount alerts (like millions of others) via email.

I find Amazon's to be quite good. Last year I got Samsungs best ultra thin & light DVD burner. On sale for a nearly unbelievable $34.00 with no tax & free shipping it's great.

I use it with my MBA's, & 13.3" VAIO. Very fast & quiet it's handy to have.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm still using my $15 refurb Asus external drive, works with 1 USB. Apple shouldn't be able to get away with highway robbery all the time.

1. You don't have to buy the Apple DVD drive.
2. Apple has been getting away with highway robbery for a VERY long time. Look at how much their laptops cost.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I bought an LG 8X R/W external drive at Best Drive several weeks ago for $39.99 which also works well, plug and play right out of the box (single USB cable) with my 2012 MBA.

Last edited:

summerlight

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
i have this Amazon Basics DVD drive, i am able to rip DVD movie with handbrake ONLY after i found a very short usb cable, i think if the cable too long ( > 2feet ), it won't work, the led is on, tray can open, but disc doesn't spin. must be related to the voltage drop for the longer cable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.