Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
This is all getting rather confusing now. Seems like we are moving from a basic 2 size policy - 3.5" iPhone/iPod and 9.7" iPad - to a multitude of different sizes all in one go - 2.5" iPod Nano, 3.5" iPod Touch, 4" iPhone, 7.85" iPad Mini, 9.7" iPad. What are they going to do about the AppStore? Are we going to have 5 different versions for each app to accommodate all the different screen sizes? Seems a bit confused to me.

Why do we need 3 iPods when sales of iPods are falling every quarter? Why not just merge the shuffle and the nano into a smartwatch which is what so many people want, then update the touch to a 4" screen so it can continue to play nice with iPhone apps.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
hope they don't make it less suitable for being a wristwatch(too big etc)! Was thinking of jumping on the nano wristwatch bandwagon this year!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Typical Apple... Their designs have come full-circle once more!

Come to think of it, why not just call it the iPod Mini? Makes sense since we already have a Mac Mini and a supposed iPad Mini.

You know there has already been an iPod mini right? I still have mine in a drawer somewhere.

----------

This is all getting rather confusing now. Seems like we are moving from a basic 2 size policy - 3.5" iPhone/iPod and 9.7" iPad - to a multitude of different sizes all in one go - 2.5" iPod Nano, 3.5" iPod Touch, 4" iPhone, 7.85" iPad Mini, 9.7" iPad. What are they going to do about the AppStore? Are we going to have 5 different versions for each app to accommodate all the different screen sizes? Seems a bit confused to me.

Why do we need 3 iPods when sales of iPods are falling every quarter? Why not just merge the shuffle and the nano into a smartwatch which is what so many people want, then update the touch to a 4" screen so it can continue to play nice with iPhone apps.
What this will mean is we will have monster sized universal apps and people will be wishing they bought larger capacity iPhones.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Guys, this is a "post-PC era"; these aren't new iPod's, they're new Mac's! Who needs a big, desktop iMac when you can do everything from HD rendering in FCPX to AutoCAD work right on your Nano and iPad's? Mac Pro's and iMac's are soooo 2010!

/sarcasm :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmmm, Apple can't seem to settle on a Nano design? They had the first one and then the fatboy one before reverting to the long one again, then last year we had the tiny square which everyone turned into a watch, and now another new one?
I thought last years was pretty cool actually.

Meh I don't care, my fatboy lives in a Belkin case in my car. One of the best presents I ever got as I have tons of music on the go.

As for the touch? iPad mini???

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Ideally, she needs an inexpensive iPod Touch, I think the Nano is too simple for her!

Yeah, I agree, but she dosn't... too big... too complicated. Heh.
And actually, she has an iPhone, so why does she need a separate iPod at all???
But that's the way she wants it.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Yeah, I agree, but she dosn't... too big... too complicated. Heh.
And actually, she has an iPhone, so why does she need a separate iPod at all???
But that's the way she wants it.

Well, actually, now that I know she has an iPhone I can understand her want for a smaller device mainly for music. Although, wanting WiFi and stuff… meh :')

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
I would really like to see a nano with wifi + front camera + FaceTime on a watch. I have no clue how they would pull that off, but it would be sweet, and it would sell as an accessory for almost everyone getting an iPhone, because who wouldn't want that tethered to their phone? "Hold on, I've got an incoming message on my wrist communicator!" :cool:

Jjaro

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Yokosuka, Japan
iPod Nano is doubled in size? And no longer suitable as a wrist device (which Apple promoted at the last event)?

I call BS.

Here's hoping they keep the current Nano, albeit updated software and storage wise, and this "new" Nano is a mid range device between the current Nano and the iPod touch. Maybe a "Mini iPod Touch" or "iPod Touch Mini"? I love my Nano for working out, and I don't want to see it go away!!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
So.. they are going to make a device... called the 'Nano'.... bigger?

Can't see it myself. I and at least 4 other people I know bought one to stick in a watch strap. It's great even if your phone runs or running out of battery you still have audio via your watch!

I think Apple would be mad not to jump on the whole connected watch game. Even if it's the same form factor, not a watch with strap ( can imagine geniuses (geniusi ?!?) in store taking links out of straps. ) it could have Bluetooth 4 with call information, texts and other alerts and how about in the future camera / speaker / mic for proper wrist videophone action - but all actual call is via the iphone. plus the added bonus of Bluetooth headphones form the nano.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
The nano could really use a redesign, I was not found of the overall look, the black border feels off among other things, curious what a new design may look like. I still prefer the fifth generation to the sixth, looked nicer and could do more, buttons are not that bad, touch screen on something the size of a postage stamp is not really a selling feature for me.

Last edited:

dominic252

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
My thoughts: iPod nano stays the same. This case isn't for a nano, though. They rerelease the iPod mini, which resembles a small iPod touch, renamed simply "iPod".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.