Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you been censored by MacRumors?

• Yes, they have deleted one of my posts.

Votes: 97 61.4%
  • No, I have never had a post deleted.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
What is with MacRumors censoring/removing posts? I believe they have a right to do so (it is their own site). At the same time, I don't think it jibes with the ideals of MacRumors.

I made a post containing no profanity, and made no personal attacks, but compared the front page worthiness of the article posted by Eric Slivka: "New Photos Show Details of Alleged 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell,"

and the article by Jordan Golson: "Laurene Powell Jobs Spotted Next to Chelsea Clinton at Democratic National Convention."

MacRumors deleted the comment.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
All the ****ing time

Perhaps it was posted under the iphone forum instead of the site feedback forum such as this one.

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
Was it in the wrong section of the forum?
Kinda like this one...

Because that could be why. If you stick things in the right location, and stick to the forum rules, you should be fine.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Yupp lol. Don't try to reason with the moderators by replying back...it's their site to edit as they please:p I don't mind it, this is a good info site and I don't troll people so I should be good....right? haha

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What is with MacRumors censoring/removing posts? I believe they have a right to do so (it is their own site). At the same time, I don't think it jibes with the ideals of MacRumors.

I made a post containing no profanity, and made no personal attacks, but compared the front page worthiness of the article posted by Eric Slivka: "New Photos Show Details of Alleged 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell,"

and the article by Jordan Golson: "Laurene Powell Jobs Spotted Next to Chelsea Clinton at Democratic National Convention."

MacRumors deleted the comment.

Front-page worthiness is something you can debate in the site feedback if you wish. We delete those posts (and other posts) from the main news threads under "off-topic" grounds.

arn

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I've been censored, I've been deleted, I've been warned, and I have had multiple time outs in the past.

However, it has been quite a while since I have run afoul the moderators and hope it stays that way!

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah

Sometimes I can post things a little too matter of factly without consideration of users feelings and I seem to recall a moderator emailing me nicely saying they removed a post so that I could post it again but reworded. That was fine.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I had a post deleted once and I got a warning, however I did break a rule about correcting someone's spelling error so I was in the wrong. I'm actually glad they are willing to delete and warn instead of just suspending. The incident did make me re-read the rules about posting so in the end it was a good learning experience.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
I've been censored, I've been deleted, I've been warned, and I have had multiple time outs in the past.

However, it has been quite a while since I have run afoul the moderators and hope it stays that way!

Ah yes, I for one bow to our "moderating overlords"

----------

Sometimes I can post things a little too matter of factly without consideration of users feelings and I seem to recall a moderator emailing me nicely saying they removed a post so that I could post it again but reworded. That was fine.

Gods forbid someone's feelings get hurt!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes, but only because I broke a rule. Nothing major though and I don't think it had any malice in the moderation at all from the mod team. They do a fine job all around as far as I can tell.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I've gotten away with a lot over the years. Rarely, I have crossed the line.. and been edited by our hard working moderators. Typically, when I have offended or strayed far enough for a mod to step in, I feel that a private message to said mod with explanation, apology, and "keep up the good work" far more effective and gratifying than starting a worthless thread about my lack of adherence to the forum rules.:cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Posts are not removed capriciously nor would the moderation team deem the actions as censorship as we are not looking to prohbit discussions but rather contain them within the boundaries of the rules and stated thread topics.

Posts like +1, me too, lol are frequently removed. Meme posts such as "Jobs would not have allowed this" are also removed as they add nothing to the discussion and frequently derail them.

Other posts that are off topic to the subject matter can be removed if they start derailing a thread and of course any post that violates the rules, such as a member insulting another member will be removed.

In no case do we look to stop or alter discussions, and I can say that we do not take removing a member's post lightly, in fact when in doubt we err on the conservative side and leave it.

If any member believes his post was removed without cause or wishes to dispute the action, then they should fill out the contact us form and the administrators will review the actions and respond.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yep, and for not good reasons either, imo.
Not a fan of a handful of the moderation to be honest.

Pretty much sums it up right here. PMing them back is just useless and a waste of your time. A lot of them feel that they're always 100% right about everything. They'll tell you to report it by using the link at the bottom, but nothing will happen. At the end of the day, your post was already deleted.
Yupp lol. Don't try to reason with the moderators by replying back...it's their site to edit as they please:p I don't mind it, this is a good info site and I don't troll people so I should be good....right? haha

But I guess I have to deal with it if I want to use Macrumors.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
A while ago someone was complaining about anoying flash add on several sites.
My post was deleted after I told him how to remove these adds...
I guess they want to keep this site free.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Heard that, actually there are only a couple that I am not a fan of, it was a few until recently one "retired".

The only thing is that many of them feel infallible and whenever you try to bring something up, you pretty much get blocked out from giving your opinion.

Sending a PM is useless because they refuse to believe that they might have mesed up.
Clicking "report a problem" isn't going to reverse the problem
Creating a public thread gets deleted (surprised that this one has not been, tbh)

Just my opinion. Don't get offended. I understand that the mods/admins are doing what they think is best for the overall community. Just think that the system is a tad flawed though.

That being said, I can live with it because the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to using this forum. Respect where respect is due. :p

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
just recently I got a message deleted ... I posted in the "official new member Thread"; My bad. :eek: Not really censorship; more housekeeping.
Not sure if there is any other case; not always read the crap I wrote before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.