Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Anyone know if you can watch NFL on the apple TV? I would drop my boxes box in a flash if I could watch NFL through an Apple TV.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Anyone know if you can watch NFL on the apple TV? I would drop my boxes box in a flash if I could watch NFL through an Apple TV.
No. Currently can get the NFL package on the PS3, but no other device at this time.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Not yet. ATV has the other major sports packages, so it stands to reason they may get at the very least the NFL Network channels at some point (NFLN, NFL News, and RedZone HD). If and when this happens, I'll be opening my wallet so fast you'll smell a trace of leather-pocket scent.

I don't think they CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket right now because of the other exclusive deals already in effect.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Not possible. The NFL is the stingiest US pro sports league about content control.

Sony did it with the PS3 with the Sunday Ticket. As long as DirecTV gets a slice of the pie since they have exclusive rights to that package, other devices may also offer that in the future. Whether Apple feels it wishes to give the bulk of the profit for that package to DirecTV is another story. Its like they would be on the other end of the stick with little control. Look for ROKU to get it before Apple. Either way, NFL streaming is not of high quality compared to satellite. Just ask PS3 owners who had the NFL streaming package about the problems. Streaming equipment still has a long way to go to provide nearly equal quality.

Last edited:

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I thought you could purchase Sunday Ticket without signing up for DirectTV for $350 per season. If you can, will the DirectTV app allow you to AirPlay the output to an Apple TV?

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Be careful what you wish for.

MLB has been pretty good - but when it's not, it's very frustrating.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
A New site has launched its Live Mobile TV Apps,Software for Android,iPhone,iPad,Tablets. NFL 2012 All professional week 1 to 17 games live stream here.you try this app

http://news.yahoo.com/http-mobilesportstv-net-launched-live-mobile-tv-apps-070343596.html

that can't be legal and i doubt the site is legit

what device is this?

UEFA-Euro-Cup-2012-Live-TV-On-Mobile2.jpg

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not yet. ATV has the other major sports packages, so it stands to reason they may get at the very least the NFL Network channels at some point (NFLN, NFL News, and RedZone HD). If and when this happens, I'll be opening my wallet so fast you'll smell a trace of leather-pocket scent.

I don't think they CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket right now because of the other exclusive deals already in effect.

Oh man I would love if Apple did this. As a Time Warner Cable subscriber we are about the only ones that don't have NFL Network/Redzone

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
Cablevision NY also, does NOT offer NFL Network. I'm looking at alternatives so I could ;possibly dump them and DirecTV.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Cablevision NY also, does NOT offer NFL Network. I'm looking at alternatives so I could ;possibly dump them and DirecTV.

I was doing the same but I'm stuck, my Building doesn't allow satellite for directv and Fios is not available in my neighborhood. I dont feel like paying Sony $340 for streaming that I heard was spotty... But if they were to offer the NFL network and redzone seperately for a smaller price I would definitely do it.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I was doing the same but I'm stuck, my Building doesn't allow satellite for directv

If you live in the USA then you should check with the FCC. They govern your ability to use a dish for DirecTV. There are a few exceptions, but in most cases the landowner can't stop you.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If you live in the USA then you should check with the FCC. They govern your ability to use a dish for DirecTV. There are a few exceptions, but in most cases the landowner can't stop you.

I'll definitely look into that thanks

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I didn't know MLB & NHL was available. New to ATV.

How long did it take for the two to show up? Can we expect NFL in the future or is it dead because I would cancel my Cable if NFL was available.

BTW, Big Ben & Steel Curtain will win the Super Bowl this year!

hasek53

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
MLB and NBA are since 2-3 years on Apple TV, NHL has been added for last season. Very nice to see NHL on Apple TV. Would love if NFL would also be available soon, espescially as a non US citizen ...

In the meantime I have to stream it via airplay to my apple tv.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
FYI - I have the NFL Packave via Directv. Also the MAX package that includes streaming.
On the PS3 app, just insert your Directv credentals and the NFL package plays :)

Now if I ever go to a friends ouse to watch football, we can watch the games on his Directv.h

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
if you have cable internet chances are if you plug the coax into your TV you will get all the free channels and maybe more and can watch the games

i dropped my cable TV and can still get almost 100 channels through the cable wire because they are not encrypted

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
If you can live without watching the games live, look into NFL Game Rewind. About $40 or so for the season. Think of it as on-demand for any game you want, once the game has finished playing live (the delay can be up to 24 hours depending on the time slot, or as little as immediately after the live game completes).

When the live game finishes, it becomes available to watch via a web browser or an iPad app (I haven't tried the latter yet). There's some nice sidebar controls that let you jump to a specific play. And you can watch games from some of the previous seasons, too.

Quality is HD, depending on your bandwidth.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011

I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that he signed a lease agreeing to terms that included to dishes.

I don't see it happening and I'm shocked that they allowed Sony to do it with the PS3. DTV gets a lot of subscibers due to the NFL package, I'm one of them. With how popular Apple and the Apple TV is that's a lot of potential lost customers.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that he signed a lease agreeing to terms that included to dishes.

It doesn't work that way. Everyone used to sign leases that stated you couldn't have a dish. The FCC doesn't allow that, it's not legal.. period. The FCC long ago put an end to property owners stating those restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.