Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just phoned O2 since I will be pre-ordering the 5 on Wednesday...They said "We have never heard of a nano sim and will not be supplying one" Now don't take this as read because the CS at O2 is C*** but I then phoned Orange who said they would be happy to supply me one on launch day.

I don't really wnat to switch carriers, but I own my phone so it's just the hassle of change....What are Orange like these days? I was with them a good few years back and the coverage seemed OK....I'd prefer to stick, but no nano sim = goodbye O2.

Last edited:

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I suspect you have just been landed with a typical 1st tier CS guy who lkely doesn't know what they are talking about.

Can you honestly see O2 wantng to see droves of customers heading off to other carriers just because they wouldn't supply them with a new nano-SIM. I think not.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I've just tried the live chat upper tier.....Nothing available or planned...Remember that they don't like people who own phones, prefering to lock you into a contract....They will not be adopting 4G LTE until next year where as Orange and T-Mobile already have the licence in place. Furthermore O2 Will not be selling the 5 until next year either....I take your point, but it looks like they are not about to get a bunch of sims for people who buy phones off contract.

They do of course sell the 4S

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Well, I guess we'll just need to wait and see I suppose.

I've been with O2 since I bought my 3G, and don't really want to leave them. However, if they start playing silly beggars, it's not exactly difficult to move to move providors these days. As I see it, it's their loss.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Well, I guess we'll just need to wait and see I suppose.

I've been with O2 since I bought my 3G, and don't really want to leave them. However, if they start playing silly beggars, it's not exactly difficult to move to move providors these days. As I see it, it's their loss.

Yep, but what are Orange like these day's? For all the Crap CS at O2 the service is pretty good.

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Sorry, can't really help with that one I'm afraid. I simply don't like Orange as a company, so wouldn't even consider them. I would be off to 3 most likely, as their coverage where I am is pretty good, and they have some decent SIM only plans available. Sure, I'd miss visual voicemail if I left O2, but hey-ho! :)

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Im with 3 who i find the best, they will supply a replacement nano sim to existing customers so they say.

O2 are rubbish, i always found their network the worst in my part of the uk. With 3 i even get a good 3g signal in the middle of the countryside!

Aug 5, 2012
Im on a friends and family plan with 02 as i have a friend who works in the main office.

They will indeed be selling the new iphone upon launch just like everyone else

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Im on a friends and family plan with 02 as i have a friend who works in the main office.

They will indeed be selling the new iphone upon launch just like everyone else

In which case the CS is (as usual ) Garbage...I hope you are right...I don't want the hassle of changing over if I can avoid it.

Aug 5, 2012
In which case the CS is (as usual ) Garbage...I hope you are right...I don't want the hassle of changing over if I can avoid it.

The CS receive briefings 24 hours prior to new updates at the start of a shift to avoid gossip, etc... The lower level staff wont know anything until we all know most likely

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Right, I just had the following chat online with O2 CS. Pretty much as I thought, they WILL provide nano-SIMs if required:

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
We're really busy right now. Thanks for waiting.
You're through to Akhil.
Akhil: Hi I'm O2 : Akhil. How can I help?
XXXXXXX: Hi. As an existing O2 customer, I am hoping to buy a new iPhone 5 direct from apple when they are released.
Akhil: Okay
XXXXXXX: I have an iPhone 4S at present, which uses a micro-sim. The new handset is rumoured to be using a nano-sim. If this is the case, will O2 be able to provide me with a new nano-sim?
Akhil: Sure
Akhil: You'll get the compatible SIM free of cost from O2
XXXXXXX: When I bought my 4S and required a micro-sim, I just had to come in-store with proof of purchase. Will it be the same deal again with the nano-sim?
Akhil: No
Akhil: You need to just contact us
Akhil: We'll send you SIM along with phone
XXXXXXX: No, you misunderstand. I will be buying the phone at the apple store direct.
Akhil: I'm sorry
Akhil: Then you need to contact us for SIM
Akhil: We'll send the SIM to you at your address
XXXXXXX: But you are still able to do this ok for me?
Akhil: I'm sorry that SIM is not available now
XXXXXXX: That's ok, I understand. I just want to clarify that O2 will indeed supply me with a nano-SIM if required, even if I am buying my new handset direct from Apple.
Akhil: You'll get this SIM from O2 without any cost
XXXXXXX: That's great. Thanks very much for your help.
XXXXXXX: Have a nice day.
Akhil: You're welcome XXXXXXX
Akhil: Thank you
Akhil: You too

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The only issue i have with 02 and most other networks is their lack of interest in releasing the new iphone's on a pay as you go contract.

I also believe the staff briefings will happen much closer to the date or they have been instructed to be vague ,or non aware of any of the release information on their side or apples.

The 4s was not available for a good 3-4 months after initial release and was not available on apples uk site either !

When i first moved to the iphone 4 all i did was walk into a 02 shop who then gave me a micro sim and made a call in store to their own customer services who transferred all my details and pay as you go tariff to it which came live within 1 hour which i believe will happen with the rumoured nano sim.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Right, I just had the following chat online with O2 CS. Pretty much as I thought, they WILL provide nano-SIMs if required:

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
We're really busy right now. Thanks for waiting.
You're through to Akhil.
Akhil: Hi I'm O2 : Akhil. How can I help?
XXXXXXX: Hi. As an existing O2 customer, I am hoping to buy a new iPhone 5 direct from apple when they are released.
XXXXXXX: I have an iPhone 4S at present, which uses a micro-sim. The new handset is rumoured to be using a nano-sim. If this is the case, will O2 be able to provide me with a new nano-sim?
Akhil: You'll get the compatible SIM free of cost from O2
XXXXXXX: When I bought my 4S and required a micro-sim, I just had to come in-store with proof of purchase. Will it be the same deal again with the nano-sim?
Akhil: No
Akhil: You need to just contact us
Akhil: We'll send you SIM along with phone
XXXXXXX: No, you misunderstand. I will be buying the phone at the apple store direct.
Akhil: I'm sorry
Akhil: Then you need to contact us for SIM
Akhil: We'll send the SIM to you at your address
XXXXXXX: But you are still able to do this ok for me?
Akhil: I'm sorry that SIM is not available now
XXXXXXX: That's ok, I understand. I just want to clarify that O2 will indeed supply me with a nano-SIM if required, even if I am buying my new handset direct from Apple.
Akhil: You'll get this SIM from O2 without any cost
XXXXXXX: That's great. Thanks very much for your help.
XXXXXXX: Have a nice day.
Akhil: You're welcome XXXXXXX
Akhil: Thank you
Akhil: You too

He he..:D I got the exact opposite...Looks good now though..They really should sort out the CS, but hey, that won't happen right?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
He he..:D I got the exact opposite...Looks good now though..They really should sort out the CS, but hey, that won't happen right?

im not convinced its a uk service as i regular get a confused chat advisor not grasping the conversation.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My Mum's on Orange, but I think that they're horrifically expensive.
If I had to move (I'm on giffgaff, which I realise may not be making nanoSIMs from the get go), I'd probably temporarily go back to 3. Good prices, bearable coverage, and despite what some say, good CS.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Yep, but what are Orange like these day's? For all the Crap CS at O2 the service is pretty good.

I'm with Orange (Manchester Area) and i think there pretty rubbish, signal is always hit/miss for me and i don't find them much better since there in bed with T-Mobile.

However some relatives who are with them find them great. I think it depends what area you are in to be honest.

If i was to start a new contract i would probably go with 3 as i only hear good things about them.

Good luck on your choice :)

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I'm on Tesco and it would take something very special from another carrier to get me to switch. You get O2's coverage, which is really good where I live, and Tesco's customer service, which I've never had a problem with.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Given O2's iPhone user base from when they were the launch network, it would be commercial suicide to not offer the new iPhone. Given that many- like me - will be either out of contract or on a cheap Simplicity contract after the 2 year contract expired, those wanting the new iPhone will be easy targets for other networks in any case.

I'm assuming that O2 will disable LTE in their carrier settings (as they did with tethering) and while it's a shame we won't get the faster data speeds, we should at least get good battery life if Apple have got power consumption down to keep the battery life good for those with LTE.

To be honest, I'm wondering whether to keep going and wait for the 5S. I'll probably need to get a battery replacement/refurb model as my battery isn't great and I have a slightly cracked screen. From what I can tell, that costs about £120 at Apple. Other than my battery, I'm happy with the 4 and given that there's no LTE in the UK I just wonder whether it's worth upgrading or saving my money. By that time too, there should be a better range of accessories as well.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It was the same issue going from a normal SIM card to the micro sim. They knew sweet fa till the announcement.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
They don't need to disable LTE as they don't have it.

Can a normal/micro sim but cut down to Nano size?

Well they do if the device isn't intelligent enough to know that there's no LTE and keeps trying to find a signal. I assume that Apple will have a software switch and it'll be greyed out on O2 etc.

May 24, 2011
Well they do if the device isn't intelligent enough to know that there's no LTE and keeps trying to find a signal. I assume that Apple will have a software switch and it'll be greyed out on O2 etc.

The phone will know if it's a 3G or a LTE sim card. O2 only have 3G sim cards for now, so the phone will not try and connect to LTE as far as I know.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Surely this is nothing new?

I'm sure O2 have signed some developer-esque NDA agreement with Apple so that even though they do know about the next gen iPhone (come on, let's be realistic here, they do) they can't let anyone else know that they do.

I'm sure there are hundreds of Apple Geniuses up and down the country who already know the iPhone 5 like the back of their hand (what happens if someone drops theirs on day 1 and needs the screen replaced) but i'd imagine that these people are also on some secrecy-based contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.