Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Hi, we're Inertiactive, an independent development company that develops for all kinds of platforms, including both mobile and desktop. More recently though we have begun developing for OSX, as we are almost all longtime OSX users and lovers. With the release of the Retina Macbook Pro, we all became ecstatic with the possibilities that resulted from the ultra high resolution. Although when we received them, we just felt that the screen's power was not being fully utilized so we created QuickRes to fill the need we saw to want to switch the computer's ultra high resolution as quickly as you possibly could. With this came a great response, QuickRes garnered a few thousand downloads in less than month.

That's when we fell in love with OSX developing and decided to start work on an exciting new project. With an amazing response from our first alpha testers we decided this would be a great place to expand our testing.

This is why we are excited to announce a QuickLock Alpha specifically for MacRumors users!

Now to the real stuff, what is QuickLock?

QuickLock is what OSX should have had as a native lock screen. It's the fastest way to securely lock and unlock your Mac, and of course it's minimalistic and beautiful.

We are currently in basic stages, but you can see a video for QuickLock here: http://youtu.be/wf6Ykynunz0

We'd love anyone who is interested, to message us or send us a tweet @Jshchnz or @Sond813. Thanks for your help, and a huge thanks to MacRumors for this great service.

Last edited:

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
You guys are kidding right?

One Password and a lock? Simple yes. Way too simple. We currently have Lock Your Screen , LockScreen, Slice to Unlock and our monster app called Lock Screen Pro which should go live shortly. All our locking apps have the simple password option. Mac users are hungry for features. Simplicity is awesome but
at one point people want an app to be expandable.

Also be very careful displaying any unlocking mechanism that goes from left to right. We got caught up in the slider patent infringement with the reviewer. We wasted three months only to start from scratch. I know LockScreen Plus was able to get the slider approved. (No idea how?)

Hi, we're Inertiactive, an independent development company that develops for all kinds of platforms, including both mobile and desktop. More recently though we have begun developing for OSX, as we are almost all longtime OSX users and lovers. With the release of the Retina Macbook Pro, we all became ecstatic with the possibilities that resulted from the ultra high resolution. Although when we received them, we just felt that the screen's power was not being fully utilized so we created QuickRes to fill the need we saw to want to switch the computer's ultra high resolution as quickly as you possibly could. With this came a great response, QuickRes garnered a few thousand downloads in less than month.

That's when we fell in love with OSX developing and decided to start work on an exciting new project. With an amazing response from our first alpha testers we decided this would be a great place to expand our testing.

This is why we are excited to announce a QuickLock Alpha specifically for MacRumors users!

Now to the real stuff, what is QuickLock?

QuickLock is what OSX should have had as a native lock screen. It's the fastest way to securely lock and unlock your Mac, and of course it's minimalistic and beautiful.

We are currently in basic stages, but you can see a video for QuickLock here: http://youtu.be/wf6Ykynunz0

We'd love anyone who is interested, to message us or send us a tweet @Jshchnz or @Sond813. Thanks for your help, and a huge thanks to MacRumors for this great service.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just move my mouse to the corner of my screen and the screen is locked. Can't get any simpler than that! And it's free.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for your worries but we will not have any unlocking mechanism that goes from left to right at all. I want to again point out that the application is in very simple alpha, and will have many, many more features. The simple password option is the way in which we'd like to create our application, one in which you don't have to press enter, you don't even have to type it. Just press all the keys and the screen unlocks. The application will be able to be customizable as well as simple, changing the lock icon, background image, and other numerous features that will be available in the coming months.

One Password and a lock? Simple yes. Way too simple. We currently have Lock Your Screen , LockScreen, Slice to Unlock and our monster app called Lock Screen Pro which should go live shortly. All our locking apps have the simple password option. Mac users are hungry for features. Simplicity is awesome but
at one point people want an app to be expandable.

Also be very careful displaying any unlocking mechanism that goes from left to right. We got caught up in the slider patent infringement with the reviewer. We wasted three months only to start from scratch. I know LockScreen Plus was able to get the slider approved. (No idea how?)

We are well aware of the hot corner function, but many people don't like using that because it interferes with the daily usage of the computer, and sometimes there mouse goes into the corner and locks the screen and it becomes annoying. The application will be completely 100% free as well, and will do many things the Mac lock screen cannot do, like have icons representing how much mail you have and other notifiers similar to that.

I just move my mouse to the corner of my screen and the screen is locked. Can't get any simpler than that! And it's free.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
We are well aware of the hot corner function, but many people don't like using that because it interferes with the daily usage of the computer
It doesn't interfere with the daily usage at all.
and sometimes there mouse goes into the corner and locks the screen and it becomes annoying.
That can easily be adjusted to delay 5 seconds before locking, so inadvertent moves to the corner won't lock the screen.
The application will be completely 100% free as well, and will do many things the Mac lock screen cannot do, like have icons representing how much mail you have and other notifiers similar to that.
That may be fine for some, but when I lock the screen, it's because I don't want anyone seeing what's on my computer, including mail or other notifications. The whole idea of locking is for security. Revealing any information on a locked screen is to diminish the security aspect. I'm sure you'll find someone who may want the app, as everyone has different needs and wants. I personally don't see any value in it.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
It doesn't interfere with the daily usage at all.

That can easily be adjusted to delay 5 seconds before locking, so inadvertent moves to the corner won't lock the screen.

That may be fine for some, but when I lock the screen, it's because I don't want anyone seeing what's on my computer, including mail or other notifications. I'm sure you'll find someone who may want the app, as everyone has different needs and wants. I personally don't see any value in it.

QuickLock excels at all of these things though, it is just as quick if not more quick than hot corners. There is no way you could accidentally lock your screen. It prevents people from seeing what's on your screen, but also does it in a beautiful way that allows the user to see how much mail is in their inbox, the current song iTunes is playing, and other useful things the user may want to see when they wake their computer. Of course though, we appreciate your input, and are more than happy to take any feature requests that you may believe would make the application more to your suiting.

Not to mention our application will be supported on any resolution, including Retina Macbook Pros.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
QuickLock excels at all of these things though, it is just as quick if not more quick than hot corners.
I don't think so. I can be standing next to my desk and decide I want to quickly lock the screen. I can move the mouse or swipe the trackpad to lock the screen, without having to put my glasses on or bend over to make sure I'm pressing particular keys. There's no way using keys is faster.
There is no way you could accidentally lock your screen.
Accidental key presses are just as likely as accidental mouse movement. As I said, a delay can be set to avoid accidental locking with hot corners.
It prevents people from seeing what's on your screen, but also does it in a beautiful way that allows the user to see how much mail is in their inbox, the current song iTunes is playing, and other useful things the user may want to see when they wake their computer.
If the user can see such things on the screen, so can other people.
Of course though, we appreciate your input, and are more than happy to take any feature requests that you may believe would make the application more to your suiting.
You can't make the app more to my suiting because its completely unnecessary, since hot corners does exactly what I need without having to install another app.
Not to mention our application will be supported on any resolution, including Retina Macbook Pros.
Screen resolution is irrelevant when locking the screen.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I don't think so. I can be standing next to my desk and decide I want to quickly lock the screen. I can move the mouse or swipe the trackpad to lock the screen, without having to put my glasses on or bend over to make sure I'm pressing particular keys. There's no way using keys is faster.

Accidental key presses are just as likely as accidental mouse movement. As I said, a delay can be set to avoid accidental locking with hot corners.

If the user can see such things on the screen, so can other people.

You can't make the app more to my suiting because its completely unnecessary, since hot corners does exactly what I need without having to install another app.

Screen resolution is irrelevant when locking the screen.

I disagree that accidental key presses are just as likely, and most people don't intend to hide how many unread messages they have, and if they'd like to, the app is completely customizable, and that can be turned off if necessary. Actually screen resolution is completely relevant when relating to other screen locking apps, not OSX's because it is already retina ready, but many other locking applications which use images are not, and therefore would look terrible on a retina display. We are very sorry that you feel that way and understand that you feel as if the application is unnecessary, but there are many who do not, so we will continue development nonetheless.

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Free? Why

Why on earth would you build this marvel (according to your descriptions) and then offer it for free.

GGJ Studios why on earth do you always (on every post about an app) always try to condemn a developer by describing a way to get something for free.

Apps are being built to push new boundaries and this process creates new technologies that need to be paid for. We are trying to make a living by developing apps.

I disagree that accidental key presses are just as likely, and most people don't intend to hide how many unread messages they have, and if they'd like to, the app is completely customizable, and that can be turned off if necessary. Actually screen resolution is completely relevant when relating to other screen locking apps, not OSX's because it is already retina ready, but many other locking applications which use images are not, and therefore would look terrible on a retina display. We are very sorry that you feel that way and understand that you feel as if the application is unnecessary, but there are many who do not, so we will continue development nonetheless.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJ Studios why on earth do you always (on every post about an app) always try to condemn a developer by describing a way to get something for free.
I don't condemn developers, although I will warn people if a developer has a reputation for developing problematic or harmful apps (which are very few). I will also make people aware if a developer misrepresents an app's capabilities or if an app doesn't do what users expect it to do. I'm more interested in helping users solve problems and find cost-effective solutions, rather than trying to help developers sell apps. If an app helps users accomplish something better than they can achieve without it, at a competitive price, I'm all for it.

Sometimes an app is the best solution; sometimes the built-in OS X capabilities are better. In this case, I'm of the opinion that moving a mouse to the corner of the screen is easier, faster and more convenient than trying to locate and press a combination of keys.

If you really read my posting history, you would know there are many helpful apps that I use and frequently recommend. Many apps are useful and helpful, and some are not. I stated my opinion, which everyone has the right to do in this forum. Anyone has the right to disagree with me, if they choose.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
We are not in this for the money in the short term, if there ever comes a time when we need money at that moment then it's understandable to charge, and that could be a possibility in the future. But as of now, we love offering great services to people and improving their experience, even if it comes at a very low price of free. Over time, we won't make a career over nickle and diming, but from building great apps that people love and use, and that's what we're going for. As far as GGJ Studios, I understand where he is coming from, and Dock Status, I understand where you are coming from. Both are entitled to your own opinions, and it's fine if GGJ Studios believes the application is simply not for him. We came to the forum to try to make a better application experience, not to start arguments.

Why on earth would you build this marvel (according to your descriptions) and them offer it for free.

Apps are being built to push new boundaries and this process creates new technologies that need to be paid for. We are trying to make a living by developing apps.

I don't condemn developers, although I will warn people if a developer has a reputation for developing problematic or harmful apps (which are very few). I will also make people aware if a developer misrepresents an app's capabilities or if an app doesn't do what users expect it to do. I'm more interested in helping users solve problems and find cost-effective solutions, rather than trying to help developers sell apps. If an app helps users accomplish something better than they can achieve without it, at a competitive price, I'm all for it.

Sometimes an app is the best solution; sometimes the built-in OS X capabilities are better. In this case, I'm of the opinion that moving a mouse to the corner of the screen is easier, faster and more convenient than trying to locate and press a combination of keys.

If you really read my posting history, you would know there are many helpful apps that I use and frequently recommend. Many apps are useful and helpful, and some are not. I stated my opinion, which everyone has the right to do in this forum. Anyone has the right to disagree with me, if they choose.

Inertiactive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
A little screenshot of what's going on with QuickLock development!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-13 at 7.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-13 at 7.39.08 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

el.jeffe58

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Chicagoland U.S.A.
I like QuickLock. I believe there is another named QuickLock as well, also maybe in v1.1 now. Anyhow, beside the confusion about that, I actually had the other first, accidentally installed this, but wound up liking its simplicity better. Thanks. I appreciate the good work.

harry454

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007

I have to agree with GGJstudios, this app is simply pointless. The hot corners has been effective for many years and will remain effective. I personally believe this app would be a waste of time other than the aesthetics it could provide for a lock screen and the developer should put their skills and time to use in another project.

Perhaps if you could implement a way that allows a user to unlock their Macbook with a left to right swipe of the trackpad, that would be of good use.

I will say though, keep the good work, just providing constructive feed back here.

el.jeffe58

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Chicagoland U.S.A.
I want to again point out that the application is in very simple alpha, and will have many, many more features. The simple password option is the way in which we'd like to create our application, one in which you don't have to press enter, you don't even have to type it. Just press all the keys and the screen unlocks. The application will be able to be customizable as well as simple, changing the lock icon, background image, and other numerous features that will be available in the coming months.

We are well aware of the hot corner function, but many people don't like using that because it interferes with the daily usage of the computer, and sometimes there mouse goes into the corner and locks the screen and it becomes annoying.

Alpha- "And will have many many more features." So, why not wait and see what develops? Me, I am enjoying it so far and look forward to what may come.

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Lock Screen sets the standard

Alpha- "And will have many many more features." So, why not wait and see what develops? Me, I am enjoying it so far and look forward to what may come.

We packed everything imaginable into this app so not sure what else you guys could add to a screen locking app. Most developers are using Lock Screen as their guide for developing a lock screen. We know because they are even
using our text. (and spelling mistakes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.