Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
They do. If you were to accidently break your phone w/o applecare+, they offer you an Out of Warranty replacement for $199. By far the most economical choice and really makes applcare+ less appealing.

ok, but then why did moosquared pay $250:
The $49 replacement is for the applecare +.
Made the mistake of purchasing just regular applecare, and when I broke my iPad, had to pay $250 to get it replaced.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I'll buy it. Buying it with my 4S really gave me a peice of mind knowing anything were to happen, luckily I never smashed my phone but it's better to be safe then sorry.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I have been debating this same thing. I have never broken an iPhone but I have had issues with the iPhone i.e. the home button. I have had these problems after my one year warranty of course.

I think I will get it for the piece of mind.

One replacement saves you 50$ bucks vs getting one from Apple. A second replacement will cost you another 50$ which brings your grand total to 200$. Without Apple care+ 2 replacements would have cost you 400$.

I look at it like all insurance. It is mostly for piece of mind (unless required by law ;-) )

And I would much rather deal with Apple than any carrier or third party instance. MUCH rather.

Omacc

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
So basically apple care isn't worth the money? Because you can buy a new iphone for $199?

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
I will be purchasing it. Having owned the 3g, 3gs and 4 I have dealt with screens that went bad, home buttons that have failed and a silent switch that broke off. Apple care + is more than worth it IMO.

Can anyone confirm - Do you still have 1 year to purchase it or do you have to purchase it within 1 month of buying the device?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I will be purchasing it. Having owned the 3g, 3gs and 4 I have dealt with screens that went bad, home buttons that have failed and a silent switch that broke off. Apple care + is more than worth it IMO.

Can anyone confirm - Do you still have 1 year to purchase it or do you have to purchase it within 1 month of buying the device?

Within 1 month.

Wait, you owned 3G-4, which means all the phones were released a year apart so why buy AC if you had the original warranty.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I don't get it. If you've owned the 3G, 3GS and 4, they were released within one year of each other so you'd upgrade to the new one near the end of the standard one year warranty, which would cover all those things.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
No. If you do not buy applecare+ you can get a new phone for $199....applecare+ cost $100 w/ a $50 deductible, so only a $50 difference for one replacement. I would rather save my money and only use it if needed.

This. I've been using iPhones since the first one a week after launch. I have needed 1 replacement and I paid $199 for it. So I would have paid $100 x 3 (for 3 phones) plus a $50 deductible for 1 replacement is $350. As it is, I've paid $199. I'll continue to take my chances.

As for durability, my 2 year old daughter grabbed my phone off my nightstand and, since she wanted it downstairs, threw it off the upstairs landing onto the tile floor on the first floor. Cracked the bumper case, but the phone was fine. Fastforward to yesterday, I'm now using the phone with no bumper. She (now 3) was using it to look at pictures. She was leaning over the back of a recliner and dropped it 3 feet onto the same tile floor. She brought it to me for inspection and still no breaks. Apple makes a great product.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
They do. If you were to accidently break your phone w/o applecare+, they offer you an Out of Warranty replacement for $199. By far the most economical choice and really makes applcare+ less appealing.

However, if you're like me, and almost guaranteed to break your phone, AND have the money saved up to buy AC+ now, it makes more sense.

Also consider if one were to break his/her phone 2x: with no AC+ he/she would be out of pocket $400 versus $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
However, if you're like me, and almost guaranteed to break your phone, AND have the money saved up to buy AC+ now, it makes more sense.

Also consider if one were to break his/her phone 2x: with no AC+ he/she would be out of pocket $400 versus $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

It certainly can be worthwhile. Insurance is always a gamble one way or the other. You either pay $100 for sure up front and $50 when you break it once, or you just wait and pay $200 if you break it. I agree, if you are unlucky/clumsy and break it twice, the insurance would pay off for sure.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I don't use a case for my phone and I've broken many over the years. On my 4S, I broke the back glass and chipped up the front glass. $149 is better than $200.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Yes, i'm going for the Extended Applecare on my 5. Not dropping £700 on a phone to have it break after 13+ months and have to pay repairs.

£61 is enough for peace of mind IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I agree it can definitely give you peace of mind too, but unless I shattered the screen, I would probably just wait to get the OOW replacement until right before I sold it. I got naked with mine :), so am very careful

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If Apple got rid of the deductible, I'd consider it. But it's only a $50 difference, so its not worth it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you are gonna play the insurance game, bestbuy may be the best bet since it is $9 a month with no deductible.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Squaretrade is a few dollars cheaper but you have to send your phone in to them for repair. I had to do this with my iPhone 4 and I didn't get it back for 5 days. This time around I'll be going with AC+ so I won't be without a phone that long.

1) They have a $35 discount if you reserve your coupon right now at http://www.squaretrade.com.
2) You don't have to send it in. You can have it replaced at Apple and they will reimburse you instead.
3) You can have up to four replacements at $49 instead of just two with AppleCare +.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Within 1 month.

Wait, you owned 3G-4, which means all the phones were released a year apart so why buy AC if you had the original warranty.

I guess I should clarify. I didnt buy Apple + until getting the iphone 4. I knew I probably wouldnt upgrade early early again. And it did come in handy - 1 month before it was to expire my home button failed on me again. Got a replacement and have just been hoping it holds out until the iphone 5, which it has.

Of course the great thing was you didnt have to buy Apple + for one year so I always waited to see if it was worth it to upgrade or not.
Thanks for the clarification on the new apple + policy

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you are gonna play the insurance game, bestbuy may be the best bet since it is $9 a month with no deductible.

I pay 14.99 a month unless they have changed it recently.

It's 9.99 on other phones. I think he said 14.99 on iPhones. I was just in there the other day.

Does "breakage" for Applecare+ include water damage?

yes. As long as you have a phone, they will replace it for any reason.

All,
I started a thread about this very thing a while back. Please feel free to reference it and make suggestions: AC+ vs. VZW/Asurion vs. Bb Geeksquad

Thanks,
will

:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.