Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
My friend works in the o2 shop and they haven't been told about the nano sim but he expects it will be the same as the micro sim. Take your new iPhone and current sim to your local store and they will transfer your details over.

mtj111

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
What's the point in badgering CS when we don't even know for a fact that iPhone 5 will even use nano-SIM yet?

They don't know much at the best of times, never mind stuff that hasn't been announced yet.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm sure there are hundreds of Apple Geniuses up and down the country who already know the iPhone 5 like the back of their hand (what happens if someone drops theirs on day 1 and needs the screen replaced) but i'd imagine that these people are also on some secrecy-based contract.

No.

The "Geniuses" don't know anything like that at all.

They receive a small amount of training, and generally just give people replacement devices (particularly when a new device is released). Repairs are carried out by other (more qualified) staff members.

Very few people within Apple will know what's going to be announced at the event.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
No.

The "Geniuses" don't know anything like that at all.

They receive a small amount of training, and generally just give people replacement devices (particularly when a new device is released). Repairs are carried out by other (more qualified) staff members.

Very few people within Apple will know what's going to be announced at the event.

There must be a few repair people that are aware of the device.

Also, my comments don't just cover Apple. They will have had contact with network providers worldwide to negotiate prices for nano sims etc, and Apple will want apps to work on the new taller display at the unveiling next Wednesday.

I think 'very few people within Apple' having knowledge of the new iPhone is very naive.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I remember the total chaos with O2 and microSIMs at the iPhone 4 launch - I'm really not looking forward to going through that again.

I was an existing O2 customer, but had pre-ordered my iPhone from Apple. The information available from O2 was pretty much as it is like now, contradictory and confusing. Following the phone's official announcement and a couple of days before the launch date, some parts of O2 started saying if you took proof of your order into an O2 store, they would give you a microSIM (even if you'd ordered direct from Apple). The problem was then finding a store that actually had any in and was willing to let you have one - I did eventually manage to pick one up the day before launch.

I later found out talking to an assistant at another O2 shop that they had received loads of microSIMs a couple of days before launch, but as they didn't know how many iPhones they were going to get their manager instructed them not to give them out in case they ran out of microSIMS for new customers buying iPhones. In the end I think they got less than 10 iPhones to sell on launch day, but still the manager wouldn't let them give any away because he didn't know what iPhone stock he had coming in over the next few days.

I'm guessing it's going to be a similar story this year as the likes of O2 and CPW never seem to learn from past launches.

Last edited:

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Anyone heard if Vodafone UK no anything about a nano sim.

I get a 20% discount per month through work so don't really wanna jump ship to another carrier

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Anyone heard if Vodafone UK no anything about a nano sim.

I get a 20% discount per month through work so don't really wanna jump ship to another carrier

If the iphone 5 requires a nano sim then all the Uk operators that will offer the new iphone will offer it.

It would be business suicide not to !

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Why are people so worried? I thought Apple carried blank sim's that you can just transfer your number over... that's what my brother did, the Apple girl just logged onto the Voda website whilst we were there and it was all done and dusted.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Why are people so worried? I thought Apple carried blank sim's that you can just transfer your number over... that's what my brother did, the Apple girl just logged onto the Voda website whilst we were there and it was all done and dusted.

If you pre-order an unlocked Iphone direct from Apple, it will be delivered with no SIM card (based on previous launches), leaving you unable to use your new phone until you manage to get your hands on a nanoSIM.

----------

I noticed a few people had asked O2 on Twitter and been given the same answer: "We do not sell any phones that use a nanoSIM. If we ever do, we will also provide nanoSIMs" (or words to that effect) which was obviously a stock answer and no help whatsoever. I tried tweeting them with a more hypothetical question:

@O2 Any word on the availability of nanoSIMs for existing customers should (ahem) there be a sudden demand for them in the very near future?

@NeilJonesOnline What nano sim? Not aware of any information.

@O2 IF a major new phone were to be launched using a nanoSIM,would nanoSIMs be available to existing customers a few days before launch?

@NeilJonesOnline I’m sure we’d do something to make sure you were OK.

So read into that what you will, either read between the lines that they know what I'm talking about and can't officially comment but it'll all be sorted, or take it at face value that they really don't know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
You're bound to get frustrated asking front line customer service reps questions you know full well they're not going to be able to answer. If O2 were suddenly offering nano-SIMs, do you really think the first place you're going to hear about it is from an O2 chatbot? If history is any guide, even asking them once the phone's been announced will still get you variable answers.

O2 are obviously going to sell the iPhone, as is every other major UK network. When they do, they'll obviously have the right SIMs available. There's no point getting in a tizz about it. If O2 staff are anything like Apple employees, they might not be allowed to say anything (since if they did, sales would crater as opposed to what they do now, which is tail off).

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
O2 are obviously going to sell the iPhone, as is every other major UK network. When they do, they'll obviously have the right SIMs available. There's no point getting in a tizz about it. If O2 staff are anything like Apple employees, they might not be allowed to say anything (since if they did, sales would crater as opposed to what they do now, which is tail off).

True, of course O2 are going to have the right SIMs available for new customers buying iPhones on launch day, but what many people want to know is will those of us not buying our phones direct from O2 also be able to get them on or before launch day, or will we be stuck with new phones we can't use for several days?

Hopefully the number of similar requests might get flagged at O2, even if it's by chatbots, and make somebody there actually prepare for the event.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
True, of course O2 are going to have the right SIMs available for new customers buying iPhones on launch day, but what many people want to know is will those of us not buying our phones direct from O2 also be able to get them on or before launch day, or will we be stuck with new phones we can't use for several days?

Hopefully the number of similar requests might get flagged at O2, even if it's by chatbots, and make somebody there actually prepare for the event.

Good point. There's no doubt they are preparing though, just not at store level. I can't remember what the timescale was before — does anyone know if there was any micro-SIM availability prior the iPhone 4 being announced?

In any case, I'm pretty sure that when you buy an iPhone from an Apple store they can give you a whatever-SIM then. Obviously if you order online that won't apply, but if the O2 stores are chaotic/short of them then that's a potential fallback. Otherwise it's going to be sandpaper and scalpels at dawn! :D

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Good point. There's no doubt they are preparing though, just not at store level. I can't remember what the timescale was before — does anyone know if there was any micro-SIM availability prior the iPhone 4 being announced?

It was a couple of days before for the iPhone 4, though see my post #30 above.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
It was a couple of days before for the iPhone 4, though see my post #30 above.

Ah, yes, I remember now. Are you in London at all? There's an O2 shop behind Liverpool Street that gave me a micro-SIM when the others all told me I needed a receipt — might be worth a try if it ends up being a mess again.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
You can just modify your sim into a nano sim. There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

500627262_203.jpg

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the toleranceswouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can just modify your sim into a nano sim. There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the toleranceswouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.

That's the type of job I leave to you youngsters..:D If I tried it it would end in tears+ no service....I tried the O2 chat thing again and got a "We have no knowledge" answer.....That does make sense....I'm not parting with my 4S until my 5 is up and running!

Last edited:

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
It's really no surprise that O2's customer service reps are unaware of the nano-sims. They most likely won't be told about it, or have it appear on their system, until the iPhone 5 is out.

Basically - calm down and wait til tomorrow evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.