Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim reported that suppliers had begun production on 2560x1600 display panels destined for a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The machine has been rumored to be launching in October.

macbook_pro_imac_mountain_lion.jpg
Digitimes now reports that full production on the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is underway with shipments from Apple's supply chain beginning to ramp up ahead of a claimed September or October launch. The report also claims that production on updated iMac models is ramping up, although the company has been experiencing difficulties with its high-end models.
As for the iMac, Apple originally planned to release three new models with upgraded panels and CPUs, but due to poor yields of the panels, the mass production of the high-end model, has been postponed, without any launch schedule. The other two models - targeting the mid-range and entry-level segments - saw shipment volumes from the supply chain increase in September.
Digitimes' track record has been unreliable, but it does sometimes offer correct information and considering its claims in the context of other reports can frequently offer guidance on the reliability of any specific rumor. Many of its new claims do line up with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo pointing to mid-September readiness for updated 21.5-inch iMacs while updated 27-inch iMacs remain on hold until late October due to issues with display production.

If Apple is indeed experiencing difficulties with a new display assembly on the larger 27-inch iMac models, it is unclear how the company will handle a launch. It appears unlikely that Apple would debut updated versions of the 21.5-inch models without new 27-inch models also appearing, so it seems that Apple will announce both models at the same time. Given that assumption, Apple could either introduce the new models at an earlier timeframe with availability of the 27-inch models delayed somewhat, or simply hold the 21.5-inch models until the 27-inch models are ready and the company can announce immediate availability of an entirely-updated iMac lineup.

Article Link: Production of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro and Updated iMacs Reportedly Ramping Up

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Didn't the 17" MacBook Pro see a unibody design after the 13" and 15" models?

Edit - 13" and 15" unibody MacBook Pro's came out in October 2008, with the 17" trailing behind, coming out in January 2009

Could we experience a similar scenario in which smaller, redesigned models release first, then the larger model releases later?

Last edited:

gnrredphoenix

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
So bottom line is still nobody knows what the hell is going on. Will we see a 21'' ? a 27''? sept? oct?... I'm dying for a new imac but at this point, ill believe it when i see it.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Didn't the 17" MacBook Pro see a unibody design after the 13" and 15" models?

Could we experience a similar scenario in which smaller, redesigned models release first, then the larger model releases later?

Hasn't Apple dumped the 17 inch? If they have I very much doubt they'll bring it back.

I know some people liked them but a 17 inch laptop just isn't portable if you ask me.

I don't need a new Macbook yet but I would certainly consider a 13 inch retina Macbook Pro if the price is right. Now

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I can see them releasing 21.5" models and waiting for the 27" models. Jobs had no issue saying the White iPhone wasn't ready yet when they annouced the iPhone 4. Then again that product launch was probably harder to reschedule... but they did introduce new MacBook/PowerBooks a few times with only a few models being available. Like the original 15" MacBook Pro debuted in January 2006 with the 17" model following in April of 2006.

But maybe I'm just bias since my brother has been bugging me for months on when he should buy an iMac and I want the questions to stop :p

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I can see them releasing 21.5" models and waiting for the 27" models. Jobs had no issue saying the White iPhone wasn't ready yet when they annouced the iPhone 4. Then again that product launch was probably harder to reschedule...

But maybe I'm just bias since my brother has been bugging me for months on when he should buy an iMac :p

Color and size are two different things...

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
A 27" iMac with the chin removed is just what I want. A new display or higher resolution is a big plus too.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I think I'm gonna go and buy the current model. I really don't want a retina panelled iMac, would be such a waste of resources, especially for me. It really didn't wow me the retina MBP as long as its free from dead pixels, relatively bright and colourful a current iMac display is more than adequate.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
thank you for your contribution. it was great.

People still do this?

By commenting you give credence to his juvenility ... Just use the report button and a mod will come along and despatch the irrelevant post.

Back on topic, so are we now assuming that the 27" will feature a 'retina' display ? or just another kind of display ? Surely something like 5120x2880 would require huge graphical power boost ?

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I'm interested in both these releases. However my interest in the 13" rMBP will disappear if there is not a Quad Core option and if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. Just not enough benefit going to a rMBP for just a bit thinner, lighter and a better display while losing built in gb ethernet, FW800, user upgradability etc.

Hoping the new iMacs really has improved anti-glare qualities that have been rumored. If not then that won't be an viable option for me either.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...

21.5/27/30 or 32?

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
I really hope that if/when a 13-inch rMBP is released that it doesn't replace the current one. I just got mine!

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Awesome! Can't wait!
Any guesses on price?
Looking to buy a couple of 13" rMBPs for family.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I think I'm gonna go and buy the current model. I really don't want a retina panelled iMac, would be such a waste of resources, especially for me. It really didn't wow me the retina MBP as long as its free from dead pixels, relatively bright and colourful a current iMac display is more than adequate.

Agreed, same here. I bought my iMac about a month ago, couldn't be happier.

I do look forward to seeing the new chassis design, if the reports are correct; but this iMac is my first Mac of any kind and it will serve me well. I'll consider a retina display in a couple of years when webpages actually support the higher resolution. Not to mention apps, software, etc etc

Side note, I'm really thinking more and more that the "5" shadow on the iPhone announcement means more than just the iPhone 5. I'm really leaning toward there being 5 product announcements, the rMBP 13 and iPhone being 2 of them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.