Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Agreed, screen estate and processing power is great but I can't remember I've seen the 100% battery sign. It's also very picky about its power sources. From some sources it simply won't charge.

The problem with the iPad 3 not charging on some USB ports isn't Apple's fault. If you own a Mac from the past few years, your USB ports will most likely be able to supply 500mA + 1600mA (2100 mA total).

The problem with charging over USB occurs with PCs. In order for a PC manufacturer to be able to slap that USB certified logo on their product or packaging, they have to meet certain specs. USB ports are supposed to only supply 500mA according to USB spec.

When was the last time you saw a USB sticker on a Mac? You don't because Apple chooses not to adhere to the USB power spec.

Here's what it looks like when I plug my iPad 3 into my MBA:

usb2amp.jpg

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Does it matter? Apps will still be compatible with iOS 5 for a very long time. You're not missing out on much. Why would you want iOS 6 to come to the iPad 1 anyway? This means if you need to restore it for whatever reason, you'd have no choice but to upgrade to iOS 6 which would make an aging product even slower than it is now. If it stays at iOS 5, you can be confident it won't become any slower, and if a restore becomes necessary for whatever reason, you don't have to try to figure out ways to do a restore after apple stops signing iOS 5.
Except for all the apps that will start being updated to require iOS 6. Then what? If you restore, or want to install an app you don't currently have on your iPad, you're truly screwed. There's nothing cool or good about Apple obsoleting the original iPad after only two years. Don't try and convince anyone of that. Everyone expected at least another year of OS upgrades, just like all the other iOS devices have gotten. Let's pray this is not a precedent, and only a fluke because of the limitations of the first iPad. I fear, however, that Apple really is setting a new precedent in order to encourage a LOT more sales.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"

While I wouldn't have described it in exactly the same way, I've been making this point from day one. For all next generation devices that Apple produced, there was a clear cut improvement of the latest version to the last version. With the iPad 3, one always had to say that with an asterisk.

Now with magical Retina display!*

*With shorter battery life, longer charging.

The lack of an IGZO display (available since the iPhone 4) was the reason I passed on the iPad 3. The current AS display is a huge power hog. Apple chose to use the cheaper AS over IGZO to maintain similar profit margins while keeping the entry point price of $499 the same.

It would not be out of character for Apple to start using IGZO displays on the iPad 3 before the iPad 4 is announced next year. They silently upgraded the chip in the latest iPad 2's to a more power efficient 32nm process. But I personally think they will wait till the iPad4 for this upgrade. Too many new product announcements and too close to Feb for a change now.

I'm certain the iPhone 5 will have IGZO. I expect/assume the iPad Mini would have IGZO. I would hope the iPod 5 would have it as well, assuming it gets a needed boost while maintaining its size/thickness.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010

The device is simply an iPad. Generations no longer matter, and neither does precisely 12 month refresh windows. They can update the device whenever the hardware is ready, whether that's 9 months, 12 months, or 15 months. This is the exact same thing Apple has always done for their Macs and now Apple is treating the iPad as a computer. Have you ever heard a MBA ownwer complain "Hey, my mba just came out 8 months ago! I should get the upgrade to the new one!"? Or how about this one, "Hey, do you have a MBP 7 or 8?"?

Apple is trying to make those things irrelevant for the iPad too. I think in the future people will begin referring to iPad as (early 2012, late 2012, mid 2013, mid 2014, etc) just like Macs...

I hadn't thought about it like that before - in the context of macbooks and iMacs - but it makes sense. I guess the generations do matter less now. Could be the missing cameras and retina display were the last pieces of the puzzle, and now it's smaller, more frequent bumps.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
But there IS no iPad 3. It's just iPad. That makes a significant differance. No this isn't simply a matter of tomato, tomato (I hope you pronounced those differently in your head!). If Apple released the iPad 3 earlier this year and now said "Here's a new upgraded iPad 3" then yeah people would want to swap for the "newer" iPad 3.

Tomato, tomato? What the heck are you getting at?

jk lulz

----------

Well Played. :apple:

Nerp

----------

If they would release an improved version in such a short time frame, Apple would have ****** buyers of the iPad 3 in the *** without buying them dinner first. I also have an iPad 2, and I would've been mad as **** if they had released an update within the same year. They need to focus on releasing their outdated products instead of hyping the next ****phone or ****pad, also nobody needs that many laptops. Seriously though, the nice think about Apple is yearly updates, unlike Android phones or PCs which are outdated within 2 weeks/months. Technological progress is one thing, selling the same product in a slightly better packaging is another. If the iPhone 4s hadn't been my first phone, I wouldn't have bothered upgrading from a 4. Also, I think Kuo and Cock are having an affair, but you didn't hear that from me.

It's not ******* the people that bought the new product. It's just *you people* crying. There's no ******* going on. Just a bunch of grown ups throwing adult sized temper tantrums. EVERY YEAR, Apple releases new products AT THIS TIME. Derp Derp. Derp.

M

Mr.damien

Entitlement much?

Those people are crybabies.

Prices change, new products arrive every day. I filled up my car two days ago. If the price of gas drops next week, should I throw a fit at the gas station?

There's a better version of my toaster oven on store shelves now.

Do I get infuriated by Apple because my iPhone 4S is a small porky slowpoke when the next generation handset is announced? No, because I actually have a grip on reality and am not an entitled self-absorbed twit.

AND ? Yes they are crybabies, but this is what will exactly happens. Bad news from all the press, and losing customers.

It's not because you are right and they are wrong that it should not adapt to the real world you live in: with stupid people.

So Apple just can't do that...

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I think one point people are missing is that the new Kindle Fire models make the iPad overpriced. $729 vs. $499 for a comparable Fire with much better sound. iPad has some advantages, but it is going to be hard to sustain that big a gap. Apple needs to drop prices this year, and this argues for any redesign that provides manufacturing cost reductions. The best move in my opinion is for Apple to come in no more than $550 for a 16GB with LTE. Alternatively they could drop the 16GB model altogether, and enter at 32GB LTE for $599.

Also keep in mind that Apple has additional reasons for switching to the new connector (uniformity across products), and changing LTE devices (international coverage). All this argues for a mid-life iPad update to complement the mini.

In my opinion, all of these trump the "b-but I just bought an iPad" argument. BTW, I did buy the "New iPad", and I won't be b1tching if there is an update next month.

----------

Bad news from all the press,

The press will be all over Apple for complacency if they do not respond to Amazon.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
It's just "iPad"...

and my "iPad" has a $50 replacment via AppleCare+. So what if its a new year and a new model... its iPad.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I much prefer the idea of an iPad with the same screen size rather than a lesser cheaper version. A cheap iPad isn't what is needed. We need cheaper Macs! :apple:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I seriously doubt this will happen. But if it does, I'll consider getting one if it's indeed thinner, with the hope that lightness comes along with that. I was very tempted about the iPad 3, but ultimately did not get one. I want it to be lighter and thinner. Cheaper would be nice too, but I won't hold my breath.

I will be much more interested to see this rumored smaller iPad.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Am I the only one that doens't really care if it gets thinner?
I'd much rather see more processing/graphic power, additional memory, additional storage, and additional battery life before it being any thinner.

I'd rather just see additional battery life. It's already way faster than it needs to be, seriously overpowering my brother's iMac G5. I think the thickness matters (to make it very portable), but it's already thin enough.

----------

And how are those people screwed? Do their iPads suddenly stop working when the next model shows up?

Did Apple screw me -- an iPad 2 owner -- by releasing the Retina iPad?

That said, this is an inane rumor -- and like 98% of the rumors here -- that is unlikely to end up being true.

Those people get screwed if they buy an iPad and then have a new one come out the next day, effectively making them pay much more for their device than they would have if they just waited a day. Of course, this unfortunate occurrence is not Apple's problem, and this is why I read rumors.

I wouldn't say 98%. I've seen most of the rumors here come true, but the surprising rumors are usually not true.

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
People are paranoid about warm electronics

It takes a lot of energy to power quad core gpu and a super high res display. That energy is disipated as heat. I have had laptops that gotten really warm, that it alarms people.. But thermally the device is running well below the shutdown thresh hold.

Apple could be just getting smaller components because the smaller a electronic component is, the less electricity it needs, thus the cooler it will run. Basic physics. It will not traslate into a new design, while a thinner version of the new ipad will be availible next year, it does not mean that apple may not be already placing revised hardware into it's current ipad 3 because they and may other electronic manufacturers do this all the time with little to no visible changes to the device it's self. The components could address issues of the the previous one and also decrease manufacturing costs. Ipad 2 and Retina ipad co exist, so when ipad 4 comes along the revised ipad 3 will be still in production. It's just going to look the same.

mattdchambers

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
You also now have to take into consideration the iPad and iPhone (5) no longer have the same charging port. As OCD as Apple is, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update that included the new lightning charger, which in turn would make the device thinner.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
If Apple will release an Ipad mini soon, they will also release an updated ipad 3(or new ipad) with the new dock connector, soon after that or at the same time.

If they didn' t ,people that want to buy an ipad will be choosing an Ipad mini over the new ipad(3), because of the more up-to-date dock connector.(i would)

If an updated new ipad(3) was released at the same time as the ipad mini, with an updated dock connector, there is less chance that the ipad 3 sales will be hurt by ipad mini sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.