Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As promised, Google has introduced a native YouTube app for iPhone. We had previously reported that Apple will be removing the dedicated YouTube app from iOS 6 which is due to be released in the near future. At the time, Google promised that a native iOS app was in the works. YouTube had previously been one of the built-in iOS apps since the original iPhone launch.

The app just appeared in the App Store as a free download:

youtube_ios2.jpg

The YouTube blog outlines some of the new features:
- Tens of thousands more videos: Watch official music videos like Taylor's latest hit.
- New YouTube channel guide: Swipe your finger from the left edge of the screen to reveal a guide with your subscribed channels on YouTube, giving you instant access to everything from Alli Sports to YOMYOMF.
- Find awesome videos faster: Get to videos like "Gangnam Style" faster with new search tools that give suggestions while you type, and let you sort through videos or channels. Flip through related videos, comments and more info, all while watching a video.
- More ways to share with the people you love: Share that incredible video you found on YouTube on Google+, Facebook or text message in the app, as well as from Twitter and email.
The app does not yet natively support the iPad, but the NY Times reports that a native iPad app is in the works.

In order to provide mobile users with the "tens of thousands" of new videos, the app now supports display of ads with videos. Previously, these videos were unavailable on iOS due to the previous lack of support for ads.
For the first time in a native iOS experience, YouTube will show pre-roll adds ahead of its mobile videos. That's the bad news.

The good news is that with more monetization comes more content. Thanks to mobile ad capabilities baked into its own app, YouTube will unlock tens of thousands of music videos from VEVO and others that were not viewable on the old app.
YouTube is now available as a free download. [App Store]

Article Link: Google Launches Native YouTube App for iPhone

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Very nice, indeed! I was skeptical at first but am now extremely happy that development is in the hands of Google. And we can share directly via SMS now!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
If we click on a Youtube link, will it open in the app or online? I guess we'll find out! I've been missing the app, actually. It will be nice to have a working Youtube player again.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just need Google Maps app for iPhone/iPad before upgrading to iOS 6 next week :(

_themilkman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I managed to get it (UK) using the link in the story. Hoping a Google maps app makes its way out next!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
That is awesome!

This is the brilliance of modulated apps, Apple did the right thing removing the native app, let Google manage it and let it be independent of the OS, more apps should be like that(Newsstand for example)

This app is MUCH better than the Apple's YouTube app...

I like the UI.

I really like how you can play videos in portrait straight from the page, like you can in the Android app, I wish it had a scrubbing feature though when seeking video.

Also you can finally copy video link to clipboard. Without having to use the "send email" workaround.

Hopefully they release standalone Google Maps soon too.

Last edited:

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Finally!

I just downloaded it... and it's amazing! fast, sleek, and very polished.
I can't wait for google to release their own Maps App, just for the sake of everyone shutting up.

Last edited:

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
It's so beautiful! I'm loving it. We get categories like my Android. Can't wait for tomorrow!

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Only runs iPhone size on iPad

It's not a universal binary. LAME! Runs as iPhone size on my iPad :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.