Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Yay pointless chromebook ad's eating up mobile data...... this app does look a LOT better than the Apple baked version.

I think they (Google) will bring maps to the iphone but I doubt i'll use it, the iOS 6 beta 4 maps are VERY impressive.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
why? iOS6 maps is really nice

----------

this icon is god awful, apples was actually rather nice.

It's a YouTube app, it shows the YouTube logo.

A manky old retro TV? Didn't go and was around way too long.

If the iOS 5 trick to change third party app icons without jail breaking hasn't been closed on iOS 6 then you can change it back provided you find the icon image online.

----------

Not in the UK yet.. Does the app have native Airplay controls? I'm missing that at the moment!

Use the link in the story to open the App Store.

A search for YouTube doesn't yet find the app.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Had to download it from the US Store, not available in Germany yet. Looks nice, but I'm missing a few features:

- Turn HD on/off
- Play music in the background
- Choose country settings

Does the app have native Airplay controls? I'm missing that at the moment!

It does have Airplay controls.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Cool :) hopefully there will be a google maps app to follow too as I really miss street view in the new maps app in ios6... Admittedly it's got lots of other good stuff, but I use street view quite a bit when planning a journey.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
They've broken AirPlay, you have to enable Mirroring before it works and then the video doesn't fill the TV screen. :mad:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I despise ads, and they’ll make me use YouTube just a little less. But I do think they’re fair game. YouTube isn’t free to run.

Ads aside, this seems good for Apple, Google AND users. I look forward to having a transit app as soon as Google will give it to me! Two maps apps, best of both worlds. I’ll use Apple’s app the most, but Google Transit (in my city) is highly useful. Street view too sometimes.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Dang...fall asleep on the couch and wake up with a very much improved YouTube app 6 hours later.

Into the 'Default' Apps the old YouTube app goes...

This new YouTube app is terrific and I've only used it for 1 search. Much more precise and easy to use.

Henry.A.Raven

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
(pessimistic post) sure it's alright now. But you wait. I give it 6 months before it's over-run by adds. Monetization (although necessary) will ruin this app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.