Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Not really taken much notice before now as happy with normal iPad! But what is the point of this, it's to small. If you can read it on an iPad mini then you can read it on an iPhone!

This new mini is actually something you can carry around with you and will certainly fit in the average purse. My wife, who's a techno-phoebe, has even expressed interest in this. Perfect for loading up all your ebooks too.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
You have your hands on a brand new never released Apple device and you decide to take a completely rubbish photo of it.

Fake anyone?

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
Ive been wanting to get an iPad for my college text books, but the large is one is too expensive. If the price is right, I just might.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
With this size device can I just get a 4G, pay data only and cary this instead of an iPhone?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
if it isn't 199, expect them to completely blunder their sales goal. 250 would be OK, but anything more than that, i really doubt people are going to spend money it. might as well just get an iPad with retina display and a more powerful processor and better graphics for a a little more.

My guess is $299.

You don't think people would look at an iPad mini for $299 vs. an iPad retina for $499?

$200 isn't "just a little more" when you're talking about a total of $500....that's almost half.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Thank goodness for the pics. I was having a terribly difficult time imagining what a 7.85" screen was going to look like and how big it was going to be.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
But yet people will bitch and moan that a GSIII is to big too hold or use with one hand... :rolleyes:

If the GSIII was a TABLET and not a PHONE, then of course they wouldn't. This whole blending of the two is stupid. They are two different devices used primarily for two different things.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
Wow. That's perfect. I was skeptical, because I love my iPad -- but thats PERFECT for a kid, and definitely gives the iPad a "Kindle feel" without the cruddy Kindle UI.

I love it. Hope it turns out to be real.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
How thin is it and is there a reason we can't assume the iPad 4 won't be this thin as well?

Anyone have some engineering insight on this?

JeremyWesley

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
the iPad mini only makes sense if its a eBook killer.

the iPad mini only makes sense if its a eBook killer.

REF: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/08/apple-exploring-e-ink-video-hybrid-displays-for-iphone/

The only way to do that is to use the technology in the apple patent that allows them to put a eInk screen inside of the normal LCD(insert current technology here) type screen, and have it switch back and forth from eInk and LCD when needed, preserving batter life and making it easy on the eyes long term for book readers, like students..

If the mini has that technology, its a huge deal. backpacks everywhere will be in trouble because students would switch to a iPad mini because it does everything you need. PC & eBook. Less Paper, yada yada yada

But I seriously doubt it will, that will probably show up in iPad mini 2, so the mini 1 will be a "eh" launch like the iPad one for those of us who follow this stuff closely. No other rumors of this technology showing up have been posted so maybe its the one the apple is keeping supper quite.

Just one fan boys opinion..
Jeremy

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
$199 please.

Old joke. <Not going to be anywhere near $199 b/c there is no profit at that price point and Apple's business model leans heavily on hardware sales>. At $349 it will sell like lap dances in Vegas.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
not for me...though given kindle fire sales, other smaller tablets, i'm sure this will take off. not just the usual apple fanboy gotta have it now whatever it is mentality, but there's clearly a market for smaller tablets. i'm mostly interested in seeing if this causes a dent in full sized ipad sales or if it'll just attract a different clientele. prob hybrid of both with net affect of greater overall sales volume.

if i only had money to invest in appl over and above what goes into buying apple...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You have your hands on a brand new never released Apple device and you decide to take a completely rubbish photo of it.

Fake anyone?

Here are me and my friends holding up our new iPad minis. We all have different color ones. They're very cool.

17-33-54-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.