Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Obviously not such a big deal for the Mac client, but has anyone tried Big Picture in Steam? I had a go on it on my PC (plugged into the telly) last night, it's superbly well designed, I just felt like sharing my enthusiasm! If it could be made seemless, eg launch fullscreen on startup so I never have to see Windows (maybe I can replace the Windows 7 boot images with Steam ones...) and not require switching to the Mouse to click the "Launch" button on games, it would be perfect.

hipnotizer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
I tried it out today on bootcamp. The interface is really slick! It feels similar to the xbox 360 interface. I feel like this is steams first step into the living room. I think it will be really popular. I hook my mac up to my tv and play steam games all the time on it. This will make for a welcome feature! I share your enthusiasm!!! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's got the shoulder button navigation of the Xbox but the beautiful design of the PS3 menu. I love it.

I've got a TV beside my iMac, all I do is plug in the HDMI lead and Windows deactivates my iMac display and sends all the sound (all 5.1 of it) to the surround system. It's really quick and convenient. It looks good, has some bugs (some games still register inputs when navigating the overlay menu). Just works really well.

I'm tempted to build a little computer around this, and make some scripts so it loads up into Big Picture mode, shuts the computer down if the user holds the controller's home button down for 8 seconds, etc. Have it act like a real console but, you know, with the ability to run games at 1080p with full AA and max settings :).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep use it myself too. It's kind of like OnLive but OffLine and for Steam :)

Is there a way to launch it straight up when you start your pc. Ts all I use Bootcamp for and it'd e nice if we could have it launch up automatically.

Found odd few bugs though, some games audio occasionally doesn't come on, when launched via big picture.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yep use it myself too. It's kind of like OnLive but OffLine and for Steam :)

Is there a way to launch it straight up when you start your pc. Ts all I use Bootcamp for and it'd e nice if we could have it launch up automatically.

Found odd few bugs though, some games audio occasionally doesn't come on, when launched via big picture.

Yeah, I noticed eXceed (is it called?) doesn't have sound if launched from Big Picture.
And I'm sure when it's done there will be a command line (or even option in the menu) to have it boot into BP mode. Stick that into Startup; pow! Consoleific.

cuube

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
I am also very excited about this Steam big picture mode. My gaming PC is hooked up to both my iMac and the TV. I tried the big picture mode with an xbox controller and was very impressed. The UI is well designed and easy to navigate. And most importantly its very fast and responsive compared to the Xbox 360.

In fact I was thinking that this is everything I'm hoping the next Xbox will be. 1080p, 60 frames per second and better graphics. And this is available right now :) I hope more developers will include "full controller support" in their games because of the added attention it could bring to their games. Though, Im a bit sceptical, as many PC gamers seem to prefer the keyboard and mouse inputs. I feel in the minority with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.