Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Assuming iOS 6 GM Public version is launched tomorrow, will i be able to update my existing iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 ?
I am planning to buy iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S after the next iPhone is launched. I am concerned that the 3GS that i buy might be on a pre-5.1.1 version and i would want to update to 5.1.1 but if iOS 6 is released then i might not be able to update it to 5.1.1 ?
What should i do in this scenario ? Anything i can per-emptively do ?
I currently have an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch and both are on 5.1.1 and JBken.

Last edited:

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Assuming iOS 6 GM is launched tomorrow, will i be able to update my existing iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 ?
I am planning to buy iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S after the next iPhone is launched. I am concerned that the 3GS that i buy might be on a pre-5.1.1 version and i would want to update to 5.1.1 but if iOS 6 is released then i might not be able to update it to 5.1.1 ?
What should i do in this scenario ? Anything i can per-emptively do ?
I currently have an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch and both are on 5.1.1 and JBken.

Yes, as iTunes won't update you to iOS 6 GM. That would only happen if you manually did it by shift-restoring so you should be good :)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Registered developers can download the GM from Apple's developer page and will be able to "update" to iOS 6.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, as iTunes won't update you to iOS 6 GM. That would only happen if you manually did it by shift-restoring so you should be good :)

Sorry but i am not sure what you mean by that. From my limited previous experience, when i connect my iDevice, it says that a new software update is available for my iPhone and the version number. Won't it say i have new version iOS 6 available for my phone (instead of 5.1.1) when i connect a device with iOS version before 5.1.1 ?

I am only concerned about the phones that i will be buying later on. Existing devices with me are all on 5.1.1 so that is not of concern.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
The GM is only for developers, the live version for the public will probably launch next week.

Oh...i did not know the difference. I mean after the public release of iOS 6 (next week or whenever), will i still be able to update to iOS 5.1.1 ?
I don't want to SOL and stuck on a pre iOS 5.1.1 OS which means i wont even have a jailbreak till it come out.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Once iOS 6 goes *public* (very very like the 21st) then you will not be able to update to 5.1.1. They may overlap the ability to update for a day or two but don't hold your breath.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Once iOS 6 goes *public* (very very like the 21st) then you will not be able to update to 5.1.1. They may overlap the ability to update for a day or two but don't hold your breath.

So is there anything i can do in such a case ? Like download the iOS 5.1.1 update now (some sort of IPSW or something), without actually having the device with me? Sorry but i have limited know how when it comes to restoring and updating iDevices.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You can do that, but don't dally when it comes time to installing the 5.1.1. As mentioned earlier, the window can range from a few hours to days.
Are you buying the 3gs used? If so, the owner might have already gotten the blobs, so that would allow you to install any version outside the window. Unfortunately, this tactic works differently with the 4S--assuming it works at all; since I don't have one, I haven't kept up with the specifics.
So is there anything i can do in such a case ? Like download the iOS 5.1.1 update now (some sort of IPSW or something), without actually having the device with me? Sorry but i have limited know how when it comes to restoring and updating iDevices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.