Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
curiously why wouldnt the ipod touch users just buy an iphone? apart from kids with ipod touches, i get that. its a bit 2004 to carry a seperate ipod around no?

----------

why dont you just get the new iphone?

Why? Are you offering me to pay the 80$CAD monthly fees, for 36 months? :rolleyes:

The iPod touch is more than 10 times cheaper:
  • iPhone = around 3000$CAD over 3 years.
  • iPod touch = 200$CAD, once.

Last edited:

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
And why wouldn't they use the A5X chip ?!
The A5X was a hack that was done solely to increase GPU power for the iPad 3 high-resolution screen. Strangely, Apple used a 45 nm process for the A5X and the result is a chip that runs so hot and uses so much power that the iPad 3 will not charge if it is in use while connected to AC. At 32 nm, the A5X may have been more reasonable in terms of power, but it would still be overkill for a phone.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Why? Are you offering me to pay the 80$CAD monthly fees, for 36 months? :rolleyes:

• iPod touch = 200$, once.

^ That. What people who are additected to data plans don't seem to get is they are really expensive over the long run. It also tends to be duplicate functionality as most places of work and residence( ie already paying for none Interent) have WiFi and unlimited data rates with better bandwidth Up/down.

If I could get away with having an iPhone without a Data plan and just Voice (maybe text) I'd jump on it for the unlocked price. Until then it's cheaper for me to keep my dumb feature phone for calls and an iPod Touch for PDA functionality.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I really thought that if they brought out an iPad mini that the touch would serve no purpose and be discontinued. Seems like an awful lot of overlap. It will be interesting to see if they release a new iPad mini and/or iPod touch.

:confused:

Can't fit an iPad Mini in your pocket so I would never get one.

Not Bill Gates

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
"the updated iPod touch will carry a taller 1136x640 display, the same dimensions said to be coming to the iPhone 5"

Still no HD screen?:confused:

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Do you guys think the Touch will go up for pre order tomorrow or a later date? Also will it have the stupid aluminum back again?

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Epic fail by apple (well Tim Cook specifically) if these leaks are what gets unveiled tomorrow. Anybody who says otherwise, you are a sheep.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Don't care about 3G/LTE, to be honest. Don't much care about the screen or processor either, TBH.

Do care about upgrading the **** camera the thing comes with, and do care about adding GPS, and definitely do care about increasing capacity.

So you want half the product of which it should be?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
"the updated iPod touch will carry a taller 1136x640 display, the same dimensions said to be coming to the iPhone 5"

No, Apple will keep it to the existing 640 lines to simplify resizing and udpating Apps.

----------

Epic fail by apple (well Tim Cook specifically) if these leaks are what gets unveiled tomorrow. Anybody who says otherwise, you are a sheep.

LOL...I think I'm gonna go huddle in some hay in the corner and cry. :rolleyes:

dgreene196

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I still don't think it's an impossibility. "Double down, I mean it". So it means he's taking action in some way. None of them were recalled, and they could be mockups. But either way, I'm still sure we'll see the same iPhone tomorrow that we saw those months ago.

I think you can double down on security as much as possible, but there's only so much that can be done to protect the supply line. The iPhone is one of (if not the) most sought-after pieces of technology in the world. And the supply chain encompasses tens of thousands of individuals, at the very least, many of whom are never going to make enough to purchase one of the products they help produce. Unfortunately, that leaves ample opportunity for someone to sneak a component here or there out in exchange for money or (relative) fame or any of a number other reasons.

The iPhone today has far more mind-share than it did even a year ago. The world is hungry for iPhone rumors. Even mainstream media/news outlets have had front page stories about iPhone rumors for months. It's much easier to keep a secret when fewer people are trying to sniff out information about it; iMac rumors are harder to come by than iPad mini rumors, which are harder to come by the iPhone rumors. Definitely a correlation between popularity and the existence of rumors and evidence to support those rumors.

Short of putting all design and production under 1 roof, I'm not sure how much Cook and company can do to limit the rumor mill. And, with every rumor driving people to want to know more, do you want to limit the rumor mill? Personally, I'm hoping for some software surprises tomorrow, because that's something Apple has more ability to control and prevent from being released to the world.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I still don't think it's an impossibility. "Double down, I mean it". So it means he's taking action in some way. None of them were recalled, and they could be mockups. But either way, I'm still sure we'll see the same iPhone tomorrow that we saw those months ago.

People are still talking bout this "doubling down" crap?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

that's because "americans" seem to get ripped off a lot phone wise. i admit that i could never afford an iPhone in the US but here in Europe its not that big of a deal tbh

i paid 1€ for the iPhone 4S on release date and pay 29€ a month for 24 months = 696€ for the iPhone incl. free data, free text & 120 mins i never use. basically get the iPhone or the service for free, depending on how u look at it.

makes the iPod Touch less attractive for me

dgreene196

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011

Just out of curiosity, what's the actual advantage of having a 720p 16:9 screen on the small, sub-5" screen vs. the rumored iPhone 5 resolution of 1136x640? In either case, the individual pixels are too small to see at a typical viewing distance. And whatever the chip used to power this particular device, it should be strong enough toto resize HD video on the fly to show videos without lag.

Obviously, the advantage of a 640 pixel wide screen is to ease the transition to developers (important for Apple as a perceived advantage to developing on the iOS platform vs. the various resolutions available for Android).

But I really do want to hear from people why the 720p resolution would be an advantage.

----------

Here's where things break down. If we are to believe these prices . . . and we're to believe the rumored prices of the iPod mini (starting at $249), then why in the world would ANYONE buy an iPod touch? If it's simply to be able to keep it in your pocket, just buy a nano.

I think the answer to your question is Apps. No rumors yet suggest a revised nano would have a full version of iOS. So the clear advantage of an iPod Touch is a compact device without monthly payments attached that enables access to all the iPhone apps in the App Store.

Now, is that worth paying the same price as a Kindle Fire HD? It's not for me, but that's because I already have an iPhone 4 (and will likely be preordering an iPhone 5 as soon as possible). I do hope Apple adjusts their pricing, but, if they're happy with the current sales of the iPod Touch, then it's very likely they'll continue the current pricing schemes. If people were still buying the iPod Touch at the same price as the Kindle Fire, then there clearly is a market they are effectively reaching.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

While I fully agree that the lack of contract is wonderful, it's not that cut&dry. Even without contract, one needs to get a phone access and that means $50/month minimum if you want any data and do not want to go with Wind or Mobilicity. Even without the data plan, a ROBELLUS account still would run at least around $30 if I remember correctly.

If you don't mind going with one of the new comers or the prepaid route without any mobile data, then iPod Touch is a wonderful device but if you have to have a ROBELLUS account with data plan, then you might as well get the iPhone since not signing up for the contract won't really save you much money, just the added flexibility.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
Isn't an unlocked iPhone basically a brick until it's activated on a carrier's network? And doesn't activating it on a carrier's network usually require a contract?

Unsubsidized "Unlocked" iPhone:
$650 iPhone + ~$60/month for 2 years ($1,440) = ~$2,090

Absolutely incorrect. An iPhone will work perfectly with no sim card in it at all, wifi etc still function just like a touch.

So your $2,090 goes back down to $650 for the unlocked phone. You can use cheap non-contract PAYG for whatever data & calls you want as with any other phone.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Isn't an unlocked iPhone basically a brick until it's activated on a carrier's network? And doesn't activating it on a carrier's network usually require a contract?

Even if the contract for the unsubsidized phone is slightly less, the difference in contract price is offset by the higher initial cost. My understanding is no carrier ATM will activate an iPhone without a data plan.

So, length of time being eqaul (2 years)...

Subsidized iPhone:
$200 iPhone + ~$90/month 2-year contract ($2,160) = ~$2,360

Unsubsidized "Unlocked" iPhone:
$650 iPhone + ~$60/month for 2 years ($1,440) = ~$2,090

iPod touch + Tracfone:
$300 iPod toch + ~$30 phone + ($100/year card x 2) [$200] = ~$530

I guess I'm still one of the odd ones that's willing to carry an extra, tiny dumbphone in my pocket or bag to save ~$1600 every 2 years.

No, I don't have the availability of cellular data with the iPod touch scenario, but I'm covered by wi-fi 99% of the time anyway, as many are, and saved enough to buy three new iPads and a case of my favorite beer!

Edit: Price correction.

That is not true, if its unlocked chuck a sim and away she goes. Ive used mine on pay as u go in the uk, new zealand and now poland. No contract is needed and never will I sign a plan for two years.

Edit. Beaten to the punch again I see.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

If you buy it outright like I said why are you putting 80x 36months into the equation? Do u have a cell phone? Use ur exsisting sim card and away you go.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
curiously why wouldnt the ipod touch users just buy an iphone? apart from kids with ipod touches, i get that. its a bit 2004 to carry a seperate ipod around no?

----------

why dont you just get the new iphone?

The touch had the same resolution screen as iPhone, but not as high quality. It's not "the same" screen.

As for kids, the Touch is $229 out the door. Iphone 3gs might be "free" but is is slower and lower resolution than the touch. An unlocked 3GS is more like $399 unless you get the $60 per month phone plan contract.

I see apple knocking shuffle out.. It's a waste of time. The nano could drop $30. I saw that nice mockup of a mini Touch, iOS, but no camera... Great for kids and runners. Less features than Touch to make a hole for iPad mini. Maybe allow massive SSD and drop Classic?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Given the tech specs, what Macintosh of old is this performance equivalent to? I am guessing G3 or better.

Rocketman

My 2Gen iPod Touch plays YouTube videos cleanly whereas my 1Ghz iBook G4 can't even stutter through 30 seconds of streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.