Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmmts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
So what kind of experiences do you guys have that own the 2010 Air? I updated Mountain Lion some time ago and have to my machine has become unusably slow with ML. I even reinstalled the OS, but that didn't help. Browsing the internet seems to be too tough of a task for the computer. I perhaps could understand what is going if I had the 2 gb model, but I have 4 gigs. And I even upgraded the processor to 1.6 Ghz. The computer is just about two years old and I have to say I expected to get more out of this machine. I know this isn't a powerhouse, but things were just fine in Lion.

If 10.8.2 fix these issues I probably need to revert back to Lion, which would be too bad as my iMac runs ML just fine (well, it is an 2011 i7 so it should) and then I'd loose iCloud syncing.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
This must be something specific to the install of your computer. I had Mountain Lion on a 2008 MacBook and it ran fine.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Mine was slow as well, but that was with heavy usage. One remote citrix session, multiple tabs in chrome, mail, some MS Office applications and Lync running. And it only had 2 GBs of ram. The 'lagging' or sluggishness was very apparent with fullscreen animations, and editing in iPhoto. But I felt it would speed up when I closed unused applications.

Cmmts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
did you check the drive for errors before formatting and reinstalling?
how's the health of your ssd

I'd expect my SSD to be perfectly ok as it worked without issues in Lion. But yeah, I've tried repairing the disk and permissions. Also have reset PRAM and SMC. I'll probably wait until 10.8.2 as there are quite bit of people having issues with ML (freezing) and if that doesn't to the trick I'm going to go to Lion.

I actually tried Snow Leopard on a separate partition some time ago. It was great, so fast, so elegant and simple. No iCloud to manage etc. But times have gone past SL so many times that you really can't go back to it.

----------

Repair your drive. Also, if you live near an Apple store, take it in and have them run some diagnostics.

Nearest Apple store might be in Berlin or London. I'm at the arctic circle. :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Obvious suggestion : Did you check Activity monitor ? What's the CPU usage at ? Do you have a runaway process or other background tasks affecting foreground performance ?

What's "slow", UI response is slow ? Window content rendering ? Just raw crunching of data ? Disk I/O, network I/O ?

"Slow" doesn't tell us squat about your experience. Activity Monitor will help you determine your bottleneck.

I have had no problems with my base 2010 13" (only 4 GB of RAM as an upgrade, otherwise running the 1.8 ghz base processor).

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
ML was a success on my 2010 11" Ultimate... it runs faster, smoother, and the battery life is still excellent. :D

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I had an issue with my fans running full blast for a while after I installed ML on my 2010 11" (1.4/4/128), but things settled down nicely and now it's working fine without any issues. Maybe it's an application that you're using that isn't playing nicely with ML?

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
I experienced similar behaviour when upgrading to Lion- got everything back to working like a charm when installing Nvidia Cuda driver from Nvidia's homepage.
After upgrading to ML my Air felt sluggish as well - Nvidia drivers were outdated ... updated them to Version 5.x --> things went flying again

cheers
nightmars

bhegna

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I have the exact problem. I updatet to ML on my Macbook Air 1.6Ghz 4 Gig ram. 128GB hd. 2010. Now its laging in Firefox. Its incredible slow. The CPU usage is not high on nay programs. The fan runs normaly. Have absolutely no idea what to do. It ran prefectly normal before the update.

Tonight I will try to"flash" NVRAM and PRAM. Long format. Clean install (again). Then I will come back with the result.

There is no reason that it should be "slower" with ML.

----------

I experienced similar behaviour when upgrading to Lion- got everything back to working like a charm when installing Nvidia Cuda driver from Nvidia's homepage.
After upgrading to ML my Air felt sluggish as well - Nvidia drivers were outdated ... updated them to Version 5.x --> things went flying again

cheers
nightmars

Hi do you have the exact link? GForce 320M OSX ML?

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
I have the exact problem. I updatet to ML on my Macbook Air 1.6Ghz 4 Gig ram. 128GB hd. 2010. Now its laging in Firefox. Its incredible slow. The CPU usage is not high on nay programs. The fan runs normaly. Have absolutely no idea what to do. It ran prefectly normal before the update.

Tonight I will try to"flash" NVRAM and PRAM. Long format. Clean install (again). Then I will come back with the result.

There is no reason that it should be "slower" with ML.

----------

Hi do you have the exact link? GForce 320M OSX ML?

German site, but driver has always been international ;-) Should be downloading Version 5.0.24 ...

http://www.nvidia.de/object/mac-driver-archive-de.html

cheers
nightmars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.