Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
All I can say is whoever approved the "stitching" in calendar and then decided also it was somehow a good idea that the the DAYS ,DATES and TIMES should be rendered in grayscale instead of BLACK should be bludgeoned to death with a massive sledgehammer.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
iCal is cute, but Find My Friends has too much space wasted by skeuomorphism. I think it only makes sense when the interface doesn't get in the way, and even then it really only adds a touch of whimsy and maybe approachability to older folks perhaps.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'm conflicted on this issue.. On the one hand, the look is wonderfully anachronistic, and kind of precious.. On the other hand, there's something to be said for a fresh and clean look..

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
completely agree.

the calendar app and game center are absolutely hideous.

internally apple employees find that design embarrassing.

how about some consistency?

Radio

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I always thought it made the apps "fun" and less scary for some people.

But I would love to see Ives take it in a different direction if he feels he has better designs!

And with how confusing Windows 8 is going to be for people...I don't know if they have room to criticize. The video of someone's father using Lion and Windows 8 for the first time speaks volumes on this topic...

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
could be worse

Attachments

• skeuomorph iphone.jpeg
    skeuomorph iphone.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 140

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
People are quick to discount these skeumorphisms or whatever you want to call them; designing graphics is NOT an easy task especially creating works of art.

There's nothing wrong with a calendar app looking like a real one, or a tearing sheets of paper to mimic real life; i don't find that the least bit turn off or annoying enough to want apple to stop.

These shouldn't be problems inside apple - the real problems are the software interface, it's the damn entire lack of innovation these days. 1024x768 ipad mini screen, same iphone 4->4S-5 design (albeit larger screen). Seems like apple is more worried about the bottom $ rather than stepping up and innovating rather than rehashing old components.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I find the touches whimsical as well especially since they are done really well. You have to execute the idea with skill or it will come off as tacky.

As for pointing to Windows 8 as something good? Are you kidding me? They ripped off a bunch of websites like United Colors of Benetton and swiss traffic signs.

Their use traffic symbols from Switzerland's highways makes even less sense.

The colours used in Windows 8 make me want to barf.

OS X has a long history of skeuomorphism in the toolbar icons. As long as you design the elements well then I don't see a problem. MSFT is really bad at the concept as witnessed in their Microsoft Bob product.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I can understand iCal and Address book looking as they do for iOS. I would imagine they look great on the smaller screen.

However, for the desktop OS they look hideous. THey look cheap and nasty, something you would have expected in Windows 95. Not something that claims to be the best OS in the world.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
I find a big difference in the skeuomorphism used for the "leather" look or the "felt table" used for Game Center, as opposed to that used in the paper shredder visual. There's a big difference to me between static background that doesn't offer much versus an animation.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Fast Company reports on ongoing internal strife at Apple over the company's use of software skeuomorphism, the inclusion of certain ornamental elements in a product that are carried over from previous tools addressing the same task for which the elements were required for functionality. Daring Fireball's John Gruber has linked to the article, noting that he has heard similar word of an "internal political divide" over the issue.

One of the most frequently-cited examples of questionable skeuomorphism in Apple's software is the company's set of calendar apps, which have recently used a stitched leather design reminiscent of physical desktop calendars, complete with the remnants of torn-off pages visible near the binding. Game Center, which is presented as a gaming table complete with wood grain and green felt, is another oft-cited example.

Skeuomorph-heavy design of iCal in OS X Lion
According to the report, Apple's iOS chief Scott Forstall has long been a proponent of incorporating skeuomorphic features in the company's software, with Steve Jobs having supported and even originated that design direction for Apple's products. But others such as hardware guru Jonathan Ive find the inclusion of such features distasteful, and Apple's designers have reportedly been divided into camps over which direction to take Apple's products. Fast Company's interviews with former Apple designers and others in the industry reveal the degree of controversy over the practice:The report points to Windows 8 as an example of how companies can bring fresh user interface ideas by minimizing reliance on skeuomorphism to try to replicate experiences that may no longer be optimal or even relevant. A follow-up report will be examining the issue from Microsoft's perspective, with the conclusion of today's report hinting that Microsoft sources have unflattering things to say about Apple's approach.

Article Link: Apple's Designers Clashing Over 'Tacky' Software Skeuomorphisms

I'm a graphic designer and I think this looks nice. Then again, the new Miami Marlins logo is the ugliest design I have seen this year and millions of people bought a team hat. :confused: SMH

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I didn't know what it was called, but I always found it a bit off and sometimes distasteful even.

mrmambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Podcasts app—latest victim

I personally hate the new Podcasts app—the interface is an atrocity of small non-iOS-standard buttons, tiny text, and hidden/confusing features. Top this off with a totally unnecessary skeuomorphic animation of a legacy tape deck (where, inconsistently, the transport sometimes moves, sometimes doesn't), constant crashes, and unreliable auto-downloads (on both my iPhone 3GS and my wife's iPhone 4)...and you have a crap pile of an app.

As my wife says, "I'd expect this from a 3rd-party app, but as a core feature app from Apple? Wow."

I really hope they update this tomorrow, as I use it daily, but now more as a download manager and the Music app to play the Podcasts. I fear the Podcasts tab will disappear from Music, though, forcing me to use this crap.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
But I would love to see Ives take it in a different direction if he feels he has better designs!

I would also like to see his vision of a UI.

Let's have an "Iveistic" button in the settings. Turn it off and you get the current theme, turn it on and you can have Sir John's fancy.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Never thought I'd see the day when Apple engineers point to Microsoft Windows as the shining example of the proper way forward... !

HarbingerX

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
The Podcast app suffers from this too. Bleh.

The new Podcast app is an example of how terrible these UIs can be. I mean really - the speed controls are toggles on a reel-to-reel tape? What does a podcast have to do with reel-to-reel at all?

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
A product working well is one thing, but when its visually stunning as well that is what makes it stand out from the rest. I for one like Apple's 'lipstick on a pig'.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I find a big difference in the skeuomorphism used for the "leather" look or the "felt table" used for Game Center, as opposed to that used in the paper shredder visual. There's a big difference to me between static background that doesn't offer much versus an animation.

Yes, and Animation = Bloat. :apple:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I love the skeuomorphism designs. I'm so glad Apple does what they want and doesn't listen to their outspoken zealot critics.

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
Having recently played with windows 8, I have to say I really really like it.

I've also been puzzled why, when apple have brought modern design classics to market, like iMac, iPod etc etc etc, they are releasing ugly old fashioned looking bits of software.

I can see Microsoft starting to win back fans...

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
The new Podcast app is an example of how terrible these UIs can be. I mean really - the speed controls are toggles on a reel-to-reel tape? What does a podcast have to do with reel-to-reel at all?

Agreed. It's almost a cop-out when copying real-life elements in design. It's like they can't think of anything else so they mimic real life counterparts in the UI. This from a company claiming to be original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.