Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Whenever I archive an app, I notice that XCode Organizer always reports my app being
10 MB more than what I see in Finder. After the app is release on iTunes, it's always the lesser amount.

I don't understand why Organizer always add 10 MB more. It's not a very good estimate.
It's 100% wrong in my experience. Makes me nervous the first couple of times, but now I just ignore it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The App store server encrypts your app's executable code before re-zipping it into a new ipa file. Encrypted code cannot be compressed very much, if at all. So the app ends up bigger.

Thus, to estimate your app's download size, you need to look at the zip statistics after compressing your ipa, see how much it compressed your app's executable, and add that amount back in. It seems that the organizer uses a very conservative estimate at how much to add back.

Try unzip -lv on you ipa file from the command-line to see the compression stats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.