Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Same here, also switched completely to OSX about 10 years ago, from microsoft certified to apple fanboi to mildly dissapointed computer user. Interesting to see what Windows 8 is going to bring us. With Adobe being multi platform I'm looking at learning a full creative suite workflow and perhaps back to AVID. Next year FCPS is going to be a really old beast, FCPX shows how fast they could have made it but where too busy with eye candy, being Xciting and innovative to produce a usable successor.

It's the same old story: Even if it can do 90% of FCPS, when most of the work you do needs the other 10% as well it doesn't matter how innovating or n00ber friendly the product is. I don't mind learning new stuff, even after 28 years it is still fun to look at all the new possibilities. But it also has to deliver what the customer wants, and not what apple thinks is important (hipster proof) right now. Planning on doing this for at least another 30 years and want it to be a happy experience.

So yep, 2013 is the cut off date, Premiere is just going to get better and got myself a copy of AVID MC5.5 just to re-learn some of the old stuff in case premiere doesn't get me all the things I want asap :p (although avid is a slap in the face, it feels like an antique, even the 6.0 version has a dated interface)

I want the FCPX speed and FCP7 workflow, without background rendering or Prores conversions unless I want them.

"Hi I'm a user, I bought my computer to have fun and work on cool projects… you know do the stuff i love to do the way I want them to"

"Hi, I'm a Apple app maker, we know how you should work, we figured out some really cool and fun ways for you to be creative and use your unlimited imagination, see? We made you 30 cool templates so you can be totally different then all the other 40 million users. We even let you adjust some parameters in those templates so you can change the colors!"

Anyway, Quadro K5000… hope it comes with a shiny new Mac Pro ultracore and Final Cut 11 in a few months!

I don't think anyone sane would have said the way FCPX was brought to the marketplace was good but now that the dust has settled it's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work and one of the most fluid editors imaginable. It needs better round-trip workflow with third party tools but for the most part it's hats off to the people that conceived it. I'm not sure, once FCPX is doing everything you need, anyone would want to go back to the older version.

And who cares if it's got a few templates? Photoshop has a bunch of ugly preset styles. You don't have to worry about them. I've found the easy 'consumer' YouTube and Vimeo output features useful.

Cavalier777

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Will nvidia support with driver updates & support in general or do they just want our couple of grands?

it's been a serious issue for professionals with quadro cards for a long time.

just go BOXX at this point... if you're going with quadro tasks... i can't think of anything that is really mac only that would be preferable. FCP7 maybe? but you don't need quadro for that.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
But that is the frustrating part of FCPX: the speed and fluid workflow is addictive, but as I said before: it doesn't matter if it does 90% of what FCP7 does if you need the other 10%. It is a bit of a mindf#### to find out it is the speed and clever stuff you have been waiting for but you just can't use it just yet. Besides, at the moment Premiere Pro is overtaking FCPX in many ways and I'm not sure Apple can fix the holes soon enough, right now I'm betting on all three for personal projects: AVID, FCPX and Premiere Pro. But for work I stick to FCP7.

I don't think anyone sane would have said the way FCPX was brought to the marketplace was good but now that the dust has settled it's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work and one of the most fluid editors imaginable. It needs better round-trip workflow with third party tools but for the most part it's hats off to the people that conceived it. I'm not sure, once FCPX is doing everything you need, anyone would want to go back to the older version.

And who cares if it's got a few templates? Photoshop has a bunch of ugly preset styles. You don't have to worry about them. I've found the easy 'consumer' YouTube and Vimeo output features useful.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
just go BOXX at this point... if you're going with quadro tasks... i can't think of anything that is really mac only that would be preferable. FCP7 maybe? but you don't need quadro for that.

I think rocketman has also proposed boxx in the past

quadro card would be used for c4d, 3ds, ae & rendering, but in my case, not THAT necessary at this point, but VERY desirable, so I have restrained myself since web chatter claims that support has been miserable on the mac side of quadro, moreover, I dare not consider how it might be in Greece..

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Why?

Why in the world would Nvidia, or anyone else for that matter, make a >$2K video card for a computer that no one is buying (and rightfully so)? Is the install base enough to justify it? Even Cook said there's nothing new in the MacPro line until late next year. I expected Nvidia to say that they're finished with the Mac rather than this. I am baffled.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Why in the world would Nvidia, or anyone else for that matter, make a >$2K video card for a computer that no one is buying (and rightfully so)? Is the install base enough to justify it? Even Cook said there's nothing new in the MacPro line until late next year. I expected Nvidia to say that they're finished with the Mac rather than this. I am baffled.

1. Extremely high profit margins in the HPC market
2. Product doesn't really need to be changed from PC version.

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
1. Extremely high profit margins in the HPC market
2. Product doesn't really need to be changed from PC version.

OK, you answered the question "Why is it cost effective for Nvidia to sell these cards"? I asked where is the demand for them outside of the install base considering that Apple is not selling many MacPro's. No matter how cheap and easy they are to build, they still need to sell them. I'm just surprised that there is a big enough market to justify the expense. Which leads to the obvious question of whether Nvidia knows something we don't, and there will be new MacPro's sooner than later and thus a market for their product. Just sayin'.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
OK, you answered the question "Why is it cost effective for Nvidia to sell these cards"? I asked where is the demand for them outside of the install base considering that Apple is not selling many MacPro's. No matter how cheap and easy they are to build, they still need to sell them. I'm just surprised that there is a big enough market to justify the expense. Which leads to the obvious question of whether Nvidia knows something we don't, and there will be new MacPro's sooner than later and thus a market for their product. Just sayin'.

Because it's the same product as the PC version. It's simply a matter of different drivers and a different BIOS, and the Kepler drivers are already there. They don't have to produce anything -- just modify the PC cards with a new BIOS, put them in a different box, and charge a few hundred extra bucks for your convenience. They are going to net > $1000 profit per card, so it doesn't take much demand to justify their efforts. Nvidia probably does know things we don't, but that's not going to change their roadmap -- Kepler is just the latest generation of their architecture. Nothing unexpected here.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
They don't have to produce anything -- just modify the PC cards with a new BIOS, put them in a different box, and charge a few hundred extra bucks for your convenience.

that isn't true. There is a new set of certification tests to run for the new software + OS combination. The graphics library and optimizations needed for OS X will be different than for Linux or Windows. These cards don't "just work". The drivers and software are optimized to work better ( faster/efficiently) on specific software. So it is more than just causal, "OK the boot screen comes up, now we can ship" effort here. So this means getting expensive testbeds to run the tests on, expensive software to run the tests on, and likely a generous amount of human engineering time.

3-4 folks at $200K per person per year over about 8K cards is $75-100 / card cost. The distributors need to make a higher profit on a high cost, relatively slow moving product to cover inventory and margins. That's another couple of hundred. The warranty and support costs are higher than mainstream cards.

Not saying that Nvidia doesn't net several $100 selling the card, but a very substantial portion of the "$1,500 mark up of the mainstream card" disappears also.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Did nvidia ever realease the GK110 based quadro? This seems to be GK104 from what I can tell

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Will Apple make screen like this ?

Im close to this with a few workstations here.
Two Apple 30s gives you 2560x1600 each display.
Our RED camera welcomes any 4k and up option :)

----------

We bought 6 this year and 8 last year.
Should I list our total that can handle this card?
PS we're not playing Minecraft here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.