Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sesmoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hi everybody,

It makes more than 2 months that my mac does not shut down. Apple has not been able to help me and manifestly lot of people online had the same problem as me. After 2 months of research, here the solution for the people with a endless spinning wheel during the shut down process.

First, we observed that some applications are responsible of this. In my case it was Kaspersky antivirus. even if you delete the application, everything is not completely deleted. Lot of people have the same problem with Photoshop.

1) Open the application terminal by going in your finder, application, utilitaire.

2) When the terminal is open, type :
ls -la /

and Press enter. If you see something like

'.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal' shows.

It means that you have the same problem as lot of us had with this antivirus. You will remove it by writing this

sudo rm /.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal

they will ask to write your password. Write it. Now, try again

ls -la /

Now, you shouldn't find '.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal' shows.

3) Try to close your mac. It should close properly.

4)Now, try to close your mac a second time just after the first time you closed it. For me, it didn't work. It is because '.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal' shows. reappear. If you have the same problem as me for the second shut down, you have to delete completely your kaspersky.

5) Uninstall properly Kaspersky by downloading this (its a full unistall not just deleting the application)
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33512/kaspersky-anti-virus

6)After that, go back in your Terminal and write

ls -la /

and Press enter. If you see something like

You will remove it by writing this

sudo rm /.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal

they will ask to write your password. Write it. Now, try again

ls -la /

Now, you shouldn't find '.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal' shows.

7)Close your computer. It should shut down properly. Shut down a second time your computer, and it should shut down again properly, which means that

does not exist anymore!!!

I hope that it helped you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like your antivirus software is causing the problem. I'd choose a different antivirus app or not use one at all.

ruchirgodura

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Try updating Kaspersky

Hi Sesmoi

I had the same problem... macbook pro not shutting down. Removing the /.com_kaspersky_iswift_journal file did work.
However, before deleting Kaspersky, I did an update of the software and that seems to have also solved the problem.

Ruchir

plafre

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Thank-you for the solution

Thank-you for the solution: It worked like a charm. :D

I forgot I deleted Kaspersky couple months ago (useless and annoying) and after updating firmware a couple weeks later, my mac got stuck and has been stuck for a couple of months.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Wow! I hadn't been able to properly restart my mac for months, and this finally solved the problem. Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.