Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Interesting sidenote: It's not a cloud platform in the traditional sense at all - in fact its not even got a failover service. Apple use one location in California for the whole of iCloud.

Is this true? What is the gigantic NC data center used for then? I'm not one of those types who demands "Source?" every time someone says something; but in this case, where can I verify this?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Same old garbage from Apple...

iCloud: Mail & Notes - Users Affected: 1.1% - Next Update: 09/12/2012 12:00 PDT
09/12/2012 09:02 PDT
Mail may be slow or unavailable. When Mail is available, users may experience delays with incoming messages. Normal service will be restored ASAP.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Oh, is that why my iCould email oss offline in Mail? :)

I really don't use that email, so wasn't that concerned.

corsa

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I'm part of the "1.1%" also... last email arrived at 6:21 am CDT on Tuesday morning...

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
This is exactly why I don't use Apple's email services, they have never gotten that one right.

gasta

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
No email service for 28 hours. Originally was affecting less than 1%, and now it's up to 1.1%. It would seem the problem is getting worse.

sanfran2012

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
outside of the U.S.

Judging by the relatively low response here, can I assume that the outage is mainly affecting users outside of the U.S.? Or are you all so busy dreaming of tomorrow's event that no one seems to care about such an incredible failure?

I am in Europe right now and in addition to me not having been able to send or receive any email, there is no way to sync my "Notes" either.

This is especially painful, since I deleted them from my iPhone, when I thought there was a problem with my individual iCloud account!

anonoutis

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Obscene

I am furious – near apoplectic.

I will echo those others who have pointed to this as obscene, incompetent, unforgiveable, inexcusable – and far from the first time Apple has failed with the cloud.

People are having issues with their lives, people are losing money – all because Apple can't even begin to get it together.

All this while another glorious product dependent on the cloud is unveiled, and they can't be counted on to make the cloud actually work.

Fire people or farm the operation out.

[Feel free to insert foul language of your preference here]

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
...and THIS is why I never signed up for Apple's email services. After how horrible it went back when it was ".mac" I realised that Apple totally sucks in the Mail department.

Even Apple Mail (the client) on the mac is in tatters. Apart from not syncing email attachments properly (with Gmail) there are other really annoying UI pitfalls such as not having an progress indicator for large attachments (even though the iPAD version does)!!!!

For a service you have to pay for... man. I cannot fathom how much this REALLY sucks. Apple should give those people affected a free year's subscription.

sethornto

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Uhhhh..

Just tried to register so I can add my complaints... but needed to confirm registration from the link in the email sent to my mac.com email address. Doh. Glad I have the gmail account as backup.

There is a large media event coming up in 30 minutes. Could someone there ask when this is going to be fixed please?

I agree that as it is ONLY 1% of users being affected, it won't hit Apple's bottom line to give that SMALL group a free iPhone 5....

----------

Some of us have been using this since it was paid for..

Whilst I do sympathise - if you really cared about your livelihood, you wouldn't be running it on a free mail provider in the first place. They are technically under no obligation to provide you with anything at all.

tulane75

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Charleston, SC
Taken for granted!

Keep us in the dark? They've been giving updates every 2 hours since the outage.

Do you want to know which bit sector of which server farm is currently down? How will that help?

That's just it! First of all, there have not been updates every two hours, Secondly, they are not so much updates as put-offs. They should just as well say, "Go to hell! The mail will be back when it is." Instead, people like me check the status website periodically and we are told nothing. That is the same as, "We will tell you nothing. Just ****!" If, for example, this will go on for a week or more, I would need to get some tech help. You think a week sounds ridiculous? Me too, the same as 2 days would have sounded to me yesterday.There is a part of me that believes Apple is waiting for something connected with today's business, after which they will fix it.

For the record, I have been an Apple user continuously since the Apple II.

MrFritsch

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Shame on you Apple

I have all of my business tied to my @me account. Apple's spin of "less that 1.1% are affected" is shameful. This percentage equals tens of thousands of people, if not more.

24 hours of clients sending me important documents and believing that I have received them is a disaster.

Shame on you Apple for not treating your loyal customers with better information. Your spin control may be effective to the masses but this is one customer who is forever warned not to rely on Apple business technology and ethics.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've been down this whole time too. I didn't even realize for a while because I rarely pull up Mail, since I have Herald running to show me the incoming new stuff. I checked when I saw this article earlier, then went and tried the iCloud.com site, and sure enough, no access either way.

It's not my primary, but I do get business stuff there sometimes, so I'm hoping I haven't missed anything important.

jW

Harvey RMI

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Mail may be slow or unavailable. When Mail is available, users may experience delays with incoming messages. Normal service will be restored ASAP.

----------

Is this the new "Post-Jobs Reality" of Apple?
Would Steve have allowed this to happen?

creativecag

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Oklahoma
My girlfriend has had some forms emailed to her that she needs to fill in prior to going for an MRI scan on Friday and she can't get emails...

Dude, have the forms sent to your email address or set up a gmail account and have those forms emailed there. Easy fix.

BTW, huge fanboy but don't use their email for this reason. I may be a fanboy but I'm realistic. If it's not reliable, I'm not going anywhere near it.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

----------

Is this the new "Post-Jobs Reality" of Apple?
Would Steve have allowed this to happen?

.Mac was a dismal failure under Jobs. Its the boots on the ground that appear to be the problem here, not the generals in command.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
How the hell does a company with billions of dollars of cash on hand seem so completely inept at running an email service that is now suffering an outage for 24 going on 48 hours now?

Oh but yay, we're getting a new iPhone with a .5 inch larger screen, so I guess that makes up for it all.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It's been frustrating that this is out. I used to have my Gmail forwarded to iCloud but turned it off. Can't miss some emails right now and iCloud may have prevented delivery.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
I am totally sick of this! almost 2 days no iCloud email! Very disappointed (and it's the second time there are problems in a week). Apple user since the Fat Mac.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.