Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As predicted, Apple today announced that it is replacing the familiar 30-pin dock connector for its mobile devices with a new smaller one. The new connector bears the name "Lightning".

iphone_5_lightning.jpg

The new cable is described as an all-digital, 8-signal design with an adaptive interface, and improved durability. Users can use it in either orientation (reversible) and it's 80% smaller than the old dock connector.
Making iPhone 5 thinner and lighter required a pivotal change: replacing the 30-pin connector with something newer, smaller, and better. Introducing the Lightning connector. It features an all-digital, eight-signal design that's significantly more durable than the 30-pin connector. Another brilliant feature of Lightning: It's reversible. Which means there's no wrong way to plug in the cable.
lightning_cable-e1347476331309.jpg

Apple will be providing an adapter for existing accessories and companies like Bose, JBL, B&W, and B&O are already working on the new connector. Apple's adapters include a direct plug adapter priced at $29 and one incorporating a short cable for $39.

lightning_adapters.jpg

Article Link: Apple Announces New Dock Connector Called 'Lightning'

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Doubt it, they would've said.

Kind of strange to go to all that trouble and not make it faster.

Money!!!!

People were recycling their old cables for the last 8 or so years... moving forward they will need to either replace them all or buy an adapter. Guaranteed income for Apple and companies that make these cables and adapters as well.

By the way, is it me, or does the smaller pin looks woefully fragile as well?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Use enough of them together at once to provide 1.21 gigawatts of power, and the new iPhone shall travel in time. Great Scott!

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Lightning sounds like a lawsuit is coming as I am sure someone will think that word is copyrighted.

Anyway I do like the new dock connector. I like the fact that I can plug it in either way so it is great to plug in and not have to worry about it not fitting unlike USB which only plugs in one way.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not crazy about having to worry about adapters (although I guess I only need one for one piece of gear), but I have to say I think it's pretty cool the connector is reversible. I wonder how many new connectors will be that way in the future.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Why on earth didn't they make it compatible with thunderbolt? Not only would it be great marketing, thunder meets lightning, but it would make the syncing required with a phone upgrade much less of a headache.

Plus, I won't lie, I've been waiting to test that port on my MacBook Air out!

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
"All digital connector"... So why not USB?!

All the old arguments of analog video/sound output are now null and void...

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Money!!!!

People were recycling their old cables for the last 8 or so years... moving forward they will need to either replace them all or buy an adapter. Guaranteed income for Apple and companies that make these cables and adapters as well.

By the way, is it me, or does the smaller pin looks woefully fragile as well?

Apple said that it was more durable, but I'll be waiting for real-world tests.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So will there be a cable for video out? I assume the adapter won't work to go to current ipod video out cables?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Changing $29 for a phone adapter is indeed revolutionary. No company has ever tried to extort that much money from their customers before.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
So disappointed at the black version, looks like a black brick!

Why oh why go with anodised black metal as the band!

I would have preferred polished silver so so so so so much more.

The white one it will be for me considering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.